Jump to content

LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good day, all! Just jumping in to respond to a few of the comments... A few folks are speculating that this is the end of SL and nothing could be further from the truth. Any talk of dismantl

SECOND LIFE IS DEAD

In all seriousness -- this really really is a good thing. We’re excited for the opportunities it presents and we’re rock solid sure of the bright future of SL. And with that… NFC    

Posted Images

I'm with Drak on this one  (except for any real hope for better hardware).  The new direction is solidly underway, and, as yet, is unperceived by us.  And, look at it this way, bringing a sharp focus toward adding new members is an exact parallel to sentiments and personal actions of so many of us here, who for a long time ourselves have worked to pull others into the magic of SL. Just because we like to share it.  Cheers for that, and really therein is the indication of hopefulness, such as Drak has proffered. 

Here is the hidden pathway as i think I see it beginning to reveal itself to me in my magic glasses:  

1. The final reversal of the Sansar venture.  It had its rationale, but didn't work out.  Thus, finally offloading it,  and just liquidating it. 

2. The swivel to the Arm Treasure Data CDP approach as a strategic and highly focused undertaking toward a new conceptual future (which is happening now)

3. This move created a 300% ROI which is a direct elevation in corporate worth on the marketplace.

4. Thus, like the house flippers on cable t.v., you invest in your property with a goal toward elevate its use, appeal and worth in value for the marketplace. 

5. Then, you market it.  And now it goes to a new owner, who will love it (why else buy it?) 

 

I may be leaving out some small increments of the scenario, but my magic glasses were the best that money could buy over at Walmart.  As for the hope of better hardware -- well, I mean yeah, it needs to happen but, you know, will it happen?  Probably ONLY as needed to keep the cash cow alive.  Let's be pragmatic. 

As a side note, does anyone else realize that the migration to AWS in the cloud is already underway?  Maybe I'm off the mark here, but, well, open the map inworld.  And LOOK at the huge populations of regions all in neat rows without all the large gaps that used to exist between them.  TONS of them are seen now populating that map, as if, well...  servers are being reduced in number and thus, region populations crammed into them (and maybe that's it and is a temporary move in the process),  OR the reduced servers are actually the NEW and more powerful servers in the new location, bigger, stronger, and less in number.  

Something is going on now with all the performance issues, odd things happening in world.  No one seems to be reporting them or talking about them here on the Forums,  but they are there.  Maybe Nika will set us straight on all these ideas. 

~Cheers 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

As a side note, does anyone else realize that the migration to AWS in the cloud is already underway?  Maybe I'm off the mark here, but, well, open the map inworld.  And LOOK at the huge populations of regions all in neat rows without all the large gaps that used to exist between them.  TONS of them are seen now populating that map, as if, well...  servers are being reduced in number and thus, region populations crammed into them

What do you mean, Lance?  Does the world map appear to be shrinking?  That could happen, without changing any regions or servers at all.  The world map has always contained lots of void space.  None of that takes up any server capacity, because void areas (unnamed, solid blue grid squares) are merely geographic placeholders.  They serve to keep all the regions from appearing to collapse against each other, and provide vacant space where new regions can be plopped down on the map.

I think if LL had been actually moving "live" regions around, or moving people's parcels, we'd have heard an enormous hue and cry.

I agree we're having lots of other weird issues, though.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the map is larger.  Someone suggested maybe it was the Firestorm update.  But you can scroll out on that map and it zooms back and back and the mass of sims is tremendous, shrinking as you zoom back to a mass of stars as in the heavens.  Before you could come to an end and your scrolling went nowhere, just blue edge.  Now it goes and goes and the stars twinkle and twinkle (metaphorically you now).  Shifting has definitely occurred on the map.  Or maybe I'm just breathing too much air.  Oh, clean and fresh air for sure, not that funny stuff. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Does the world map appear to be shrinking?

The world is fine; the map is broken.

There's a map tile for each sim, each square of 4 sims, each square of 16 sims, each square of 64 sims, etc. There's some background job that combines the smaller tiles into bigger ones and scales them down. Sometimes the map builder seems to break and not finish the job. That's when the zoomed-out map shows blank spots. Right now, zoomed-out Zindra is blanked out. But Zindra is still there, and on the map if you can find the right blank spot and zoom in.

(Yes, I filed a JIRA. Two years ago.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Something is going on now with all the performance issues, odd things happening in world. 

 

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

lots of other weird issues

 

5 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

No one seems to be reporting them or talking about them

 

Agreed. It drew my attention when I saw time was invested in logo recoloring and bio publishing, while at the same time there sits support tickets in the queue for months with no further comment on priority or if it will be fixed at all.  Stood out because that seems significantly different from response in the past.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Haselden said:

as I said before, LSL needs to go in the dumpster before they can do anything. I'd imagine hiring staff for all these features are a pain because they don't teach LSL in colleges.

SL is written using LSL?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haselden said:

as I said before, LSL needs to go in the dumpster before they can do anything. I'd imagine hiring staff for all these features are a pain because they don't teach LSL in colleges.

There is to much to dump it in the trash,  you would just break everything,  maybe adding in another language might help,  but at this point,  I am going say, let's not throw this into the mix and let's just keep what we have.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haselden said:

as I said before, LSL needs to go in the dumpster before they can do anything. I'd imagine hiring staff for all these features are a pain because they don't teach LSL in colleges.

If they did that piratically everything in sl would quit working. the only things that would work are those that dont have scripts in them. yes it was stupid of them to use an entirely different scripting system then what is commonly used but well its a little too late to change that now. It would require a full rewrite of the the system to change that now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Something is going on now with all the performance issues, odd things happening in world.  No one seems to be reporting them or talking about them here on the Forums,  but they are there. 

I have noticed a much lower performance in SL in that it is much slower in the cloud.  ChinRey, if I may use her name, already said in a thread going to the cloud is going to be worse not better, so I didn't feel the need to report it as I already knew from ChinRey's posts.  

It's not just slow inventory loading but very slow for building.  

It takes getting used too but I've managed to build one thing since in the cloud.  lol

EDIT:  Oh, and trying to get your item to list on Marketplace is like watching paint dry.  You may as well try to read or sew or do something else while you wait for your item to upload onto Marketplace.  It takes a very, very long time.  But, what good would reporting it do?  It's just the way it is, I'd assume.  

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Haselden said:

as I said before, LSL needs to go in the dumpster before they can do anything. I'd imagine hiring staff for all these features are a pain because they don't teach LSL in colleges.

LSL being different from languages taught in colleges is probably a good thing. Modern development practices are centered around readability rather than size efficiency or performance. They are designed for a world where memory and cpu time is not constrained in any meaningful way.

LSL requires small tightly focused code for it to fit into a single script and run at a decent speed. Readable 'modern' style code is memory inefficient and slow.

Newbie scripters who just copy and paste bits of code to make a thing that works actually tend to produce more efficient minimalist scripts. As people learn more programming, scripts balloon in size, efficiency goes in the trash and over engineering off the chart. Expert level LSL scripting abandons readability and modern best practices and attempts to second guess the bytecode compiler, global variable reuse, inline functions, unrolled loops, branchless techniques and lots of speed / memory profiling.

There are lots of places LSL could be improved and expanded, however as we're a bunch of untrustworthy clowns, power user features will often fall victim to security concerns.

54 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

ChinRey, if I may use her name, already said in a thread going to the cloud is going to be worse not better

The best we can realistically expect is "not worse", it may well be some time before that's accomplished.

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Patch had commented in the Belli group that cloud transfer was likely to initially show a performance gain in region crossings. (No clue what he meant by "initially.") More gains to come? I think I've noticed the region crossing improvement.

But I've also noticed objects and textures that are unbelievably slow to rez. Like in 2005 on a bad computer.

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Expert level LSL scripting abandons readability and modern best practices and attempts to second guess the bytecode compiler, global variable reuse, inline functions, unrolled loops, branchless techniques and lots of speed / memory profiling.

agree

if Linden were to give us something substantial scripting wise then I would like a debugger tool with at least a variable watch window and breakpoints. And the other thing I would like is to be able to inline CIL byte code

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Child AVs will be banned. Investors won't want to be associated with that; far too distasteful. Best to just ban outright. 

It's also possible that Premium status will be required for uploads. 

 

 

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RiffRegan said:

Child AVs will be banned. Investors won't want to be associated with that; far too distasteful. Best to just ban outright. 

It's also possible that Premium status will be required for uploads. 

I don't interact with child AV's, so that is a non issue for me. I'm more worried about adult content.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, RiffRegan said:

It's also possible that Premium status will be required for uploads.

possible, but unlikely I think.  The Linden plan, before acquisition, was that at some future time there would be variable upload costs. The viewer has the capability to do this already. I think that this will happen as planned.  Basic, Premium (and/or Super Premium if/when) will have different upload costs

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

Patch had commented in the Belli group that cloud transfer was likely to initially show a performance gain in region crossings. (No clue what he meant by "initially.") More gains to come? I think I've noticed the region crossing improvement.

But I've also noticed objects and textures that are unbelievably slow to rez. Like in 2005 on a bad computer.

Maybe "initially" because of what Oz mentioned, that SL initially will be confined within a single data center in the cloud?  If the data center is newer/better than the colo they're now in, that should speed things up, one would think.  Once they begin to distribute across the cloud, I'm not placing any bets on decent performance at region crossings!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Maybe "initially" because of what Oz mentioned, that SL initially will be confined within a single data center in the cloud?  If the data center is newer/better than the colo they're now in, that should speed things up, one would think.  Once they begin to distribute across the cloud, I'm not placing any bets on decent performance at region crossings!

is going to be interesting to see how Linden do distribution of regions across AWS if/when they do.  What they might do is when we get a private region then we can specify which datacenter cluster we would like it, depending on which areas of the world (datacenters) Linden have bought.  I.e North America, South America, Europe, Asia, etc

mainland (the Linden estates) would most likely stay in the USA/North America cluster I think

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure all this negativity will help guide the decision making process.

Continental drift may occur.

I would like to try having some simulators in places around the world and to let people transfer to them when it benefits them.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

I am sure all this negativity will help guide the decision making process.

Continental drift may occur.

I would like to try having some simulators in places around the world and to let people transfer to them when it benefits them.

That amounts to instancing, which goes against SL's core design principles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

That amounts to instancing, which goes against SL's core design principles.

No, not making replicas of regions.  Relocating their whole regions or trading their land in one for land in another that is hosted more advantageously for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

No, not making replicas of regions.  Relocating their whole regions or trading their land in one for land in another that is hosted more advantageously for them.

Ah, as in allowing a region/estate owner to select which RL region their sim is located. Yeah, That would be good.

Edited by Rathgrith027
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rathgrith027 said:

Ah, as in allowing a region/estate owner to select which region their sim is located. Yeah, That would be good.

Yes, for two different definitions of the word "region".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...