LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:
7 hours ago, Anna Vanilla said:

SL is alive and very well for now

It only dies if they remove the adult content  

It won't ever happen but I would like to see them try. Can you imagine the investment company trying to purge the grid of adult content. You would have to literally purge inventories, the asset server, ban accounts, remove thousands upon thousands of marketplace listings, images, sounds, animation. I really don't think, in reality, it could actually be done because as quickly as they removed a thousand items, a further 5000 would be uploaded in its place xD.

Just so long as they don't make us act in an "adult" manner in order to use "adult content", I "adult" enough in RL. 

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

U fortunately, It could be done in a "from now" on kind of sense, a bit like how cars with poor emission ratings are gradually phased out.

"From today, this type of content is not acceptable on the MP anymore, you also may be abuse reported for selling it in-world"

I can't wait to meet a shady poseball dealer in a dark virtual alley.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Please don't distract the new guys and tempt them to waste opportunity cost on porting the scripting library to the popular language binding of the moment. The scripting language simply makes no difference to anybody who has scripted for any length of time. The real challenges of the SL script engine are determining what is safe to expose as library functions, managing the computing resources available to scripts, and reducing the massive overhead of thousands of scripts per simulator doing nothing each simulation frame.

seems to work for minecraft using javascript.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Good advice.  You should take it. 

This is  suppose to be a forum for discussion.   I was discussing the topic.  You are just attacking. 

Doom and gloom is unwarranted at this point.  People who care should keep an eye out on what's going on at the Lab but that's always been true.  There is no reason to think these investors are any more likely to close SL than the venture capitalist who have owned the Lab until now.  I'm surprised they haven't taken their profits before now and they had to sell their interest in order to take profits from their investment.  Now is the natural time to sell since SL is on a high point due to RL issues.  It's also the natural time for long term investors to buy.  

No you weren't discussing the topic. You attacked me because you believed I was attacking you. Over a simple typo.

It looks like one of the results of Covid-19 is going to be everyone loses their sense of humor or the absurd. On the other hand, some people are just natural jackasses.

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

U fortunately, It could be done in a "from now" on kind of sense, a bit like how cars with poor emission ratings are gradually phased out.

"From today, this type of content is not acceptable on the MP anymore, you also may be abuse reported for selling it in-world"

Adult content won't be removed, actually its the only part of SL that keeps Second Life still active and "realistically" kind of profitable, without it Second Life would have the same fate as Teen Second Life (closed 2011).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

No you weren't discussing the topic. You attacked me because you believed I was attacking you. Over a simple typo.

It looks like one of the results of Covid-19 is going to be everyone loses their sense of humor or the absurd. On the other hand, some people are just natural jackasses.

I never attacked you.  The quote you referenced above was not even directed at  you but at the person who said, 

Please, put a prim in it, we don't need infighting.

I quoted them and you were not mentioned.  They only posted the quote I just gave nothing else.  It was purely a personal attack.  But again, it was not you and I was not addressing you in the above quote.  The rest of that post was again my opinion on the subject at hand.

Good advice.  You should take it. 

This is  suppose to be a forum for discussion.   I was discussing the topic.  You are just attacking. 

Doom and gloom is unwarranted at this point.  People who care should keep an eye out on what's going on at the Lab but that's always been true.  There is no reason to think these investors are any more likely to close SL than the venture capitalist who have owned the Lab until now.  I'm surprised they haven't taken their profits before now and they had to sell their interest in order to take profits from their investment.  Now is the natural time to sell since SL is on a high point due to RL issues.  It's also the natural time for long term investors to buy.  

But to reiterate.  This was never directed at you but at the person I responded to who posted in response to my earlier post to you.  My only response to you was the thank you emoji in the post where you said, 

Thank you for saying the bolded parts. Wish you had said that to begin with. Less confusion that way. 

Sorry about the typo there. I didn't intentionally type WE. 

Have a good one!

I hardly think disagreeing with your opinion then thanking you is a reason to call me a natural jackass.  I didn't take anything  you said personally until now. 

6 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Well it had it's rise for many years but the last 5-6 years SL is actually degrading regarding new subscribers.

Everybody knows that and it's normal it's been around since 2003. (WindowsXP era)

It's popularity to younger ages is almost non existent so they rarely care about joining/playing, they prefer other games/platforms and the majority of old subscribers that you talk about won't come back.That doesn't mean it's ending tomorrow of course but don't expect to ever see again the activity/popularity it had back in 2009-2011.

Most of the younger ones want something they can do on their phone. I don't know how many times when my man used to DJ in world from our bar and he would mention "We're also in SL, go to secondlife.com and sign up."  At that point he would see a sea of phones come up. Then he would say "This is for your desktop, not your phone."

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Most of the younger ones want something they can do on their phone. I don't know how many times when my man used to DJ in world from our bar and he would mention "We're also in SL, go to secondlife.com and sign up."  At that point he would see a sea of phones come up. Then he would say "This is for your desktop, not your phone."

Of course but back in the last days of 2010 when Teen Second Life grid was still active (went down January 2011) you still couldn't do much on an Iphone 3/3S so that wasn't the issue. (Just a facebook, viber, whatsapp can't even remember what other apps existed at that time.)

What actually saved Second Life was the introduction of mesh bodies that made it sort of realistic enough (if you have a wild imagination) for adult play. If you make a business with skyboxes/houses in a G-rated region well you are wasting your time and money, regardless how well made they are. The moment you change the region rating to A-rated the sales rise rapidly.

Edited by Nick0678

55 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Of course but back in the last days of 2010 when Teen Second Life grid was still active (went down January 2011) you still couldn't do much on an Iphone 3/3S so that wasn't the issue. (Just a facebook, viber, whatsapp can't even remember what other apps existed at that time.)

What actually saved Second Life was the introduction of mesh bodies that made it sort of realistic enough (if you have a wild imagination) for adult play. If you make a business with skyboxes/houses in a G-rated region well you are wasting your time and money, regardless how well made they are. The moment you change the region rating to A-rated the sales rise rapidly.

I would beg to differ on G-rated region sales ❤️

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I would beg to differ on G-rated region sales ❤️

Sure as long as you play by the book and tell them they can't have any kind of sexual activities in those parcels regardless if people see them or not, all their furniture should be cuddles only and their avatars should always be dressed properly otherwise they will get banned. Talked about G-rated not M-rated.

General Parcel_lght_G.png

A region designated General is not allowed to advertise or make available content or activity that is sexually explicit, violent, or depicts nudity.  Sexually-oriented objects such as "sex beds" or poseballs may not be located or sold in General regions.

General regions are areas where you should feel free to say and do things that you would be comfortable saying and doing in front of your grandmother or a grade school class. Institutions such as universities, conference organizers, and real world businesses may wish to designate their regions as General. Likewise their users (and others) may wish to employ Second Life's General search setting to focus and filter search results appropriately.

If you are a region owner and you feel there is some ambiguity as to whether your content and activities are allowed in General regions, it's probably best to designate your region as Moderate.

Parts of the Teen Grid were merged into the Main Grid and then the now duplicate servers were shut off as there was no longer a need for them.

At a somewhat later point it was clarified that new Teen signups would be restricted to General Rated areas with a specific age range even further restricted to a specific subsection of private islands.

A move that should have happened much sooner.

If you're going to bring up bits of the past, do be a tiny bit more accurate in painting your pictures.

As for the Mobile App craze: Outside of having some (minus the 3D render) of the capabilities Lumiya has, pursuing a Mobile Client is pointless and the present generations seriously need to stop assuming/demanding a app for every little thing.

Don't get me wrong, some things honestly do benefit from having a Mobile App (physical stores being a prime example) and there appear to be some somewhat decent mobile games now (as opposed to the dearth of Idle "games" and other such nonsense) but mobile tech has a long way to go still.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Parts of the Teen Grid were merged into the Main Grid and then the now duplicate servers were shut off as there was no longer a need for them.

At a somewhat later point it was clarified that new Teen signups would be restricted to General Rated areas with a specific age range even further restricted to a specific subsection of private islands.

A move that should have happened much sooner.

Exactly this product/game had no significant value for kids and teens.. Fun for mature gamers but not for young gamers.

1 minute ago, Nick0678 said:

Exactly this product/game had no significant value for kids and teens.. Fun for mature gamers but not for young gamers.

The entire purpose of the Teen Grid was not to be a separate product whatsoever but to be a "safe place" for those under eighteen to experience a fraction of Second Life with the option to have their account migrated when they were old enough for the Main Grid.

Once again it was not simply "shut down" - it was merged into the Main Grid with duplicate regions removed at varying dates.

It was not a "value" based call - not in the way you're trying to frame it anyway. The value used to calculate that move was no more and no less than if it was in Linden Lab's interests to maintain a separate "onboarding" Grid for Teens when they could just as easily and far more simply restrict Teen accounts to a maturity rating (General) which would still afford them access to a much larger portion of the Grid.

We have seen how that call went.

There was a more pressing need for those servers than acting as a restricted, rather tiny mirror to the Main Grid.

Put in a somewhat different manner - one that is harder to twist into whatever narrative you're trying to push - the Teen Grid was a relic of an era when Second Life only had two Maturity Ratings. It was made obsolete by the shift to General, Moderate and Adult. Anything marked as General now allows Teens (16+) access, essentially making a vast part of Mainland a replacement for the defunct Teen Grid. Funnily enough this also addressed at least one of the complaints said age group had concerning Second Life - there wasn't much to do or to explore.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

What actually saved Second Life was the introduction of mesh bodies that ...

... triggered an immense wave of dress-up commerce.

I don't think either of us have access to the numbers to back up a "what saved Second Life" assertion.  Better adult content may have saved YOUR Second Life, but it's totally irrelevant to mine, and seems so to most of the people I know.  Though it's important to LL, I'd be surprised if it drives the bulk of their revenue.  Zindra isn't all THAT successful, you know.

Anyway, this discussion is kinda a derail, isn't it?

I'm still intrigued by Philip's presence in LL's press release on the acquisition.  And still wondering about how this deal came together.  I'm thinking about what Philip and Randy might talk about, should they find themselves at a bistro table stocked with wonderful imbibe-ables.  And I see one common interest.

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The entire purpose of the Teen Grid was not to be a separate product whatsoever...

I have read all that you have written and theres no need to write a whole essay regarding SL.

Heres how stuff work on the Real World of business. Every product has value for  a specific target group.

That Age related target group was never massively interested about Second Life.

If it was massively interested it wouldn't be you and me talking here (adults) it would be kids talking here and we wouldn't be talking about Adult activities in Second Life etc but what kind of weapon upgrades we were going to buy for our guns like in Call of Duty, what kind of cars like in GTA etc. You know the stuff thats kids like to talk about.

It really is that simple and no further explanations are necessary. You can disagree, doesn't matter. Kid's don't care about SL.

• Haha 2

That's nice.

Meanwhile the real world has a different version of events and impetus that has very little to do with your version of events or your imagined reasons.

The only crossover business wise begins and ends with keeping an inferior mirror of the Grid up and running when they could o exactly what they ended up doing.

The Teen Grid was never intended to be a separate product - you can pretend it was until the cows come home, it doesn't really change anything.

Here's another bit of news for you: You haven't a single clue how many users of any particular age range peruse the forum nor do you have a single clue what topics they'd be discussing. What you're pulling out as your examples are nothing more than stereotypes that are no more valid than the typical stereotypes regarding any age group.

Have a good day now!

ETA: Ah and that oh so lovely use of "kids" tells me quite a bit about your position and thought process here ... 

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

There's an estimated $500 million RL dollars sitting in residents' accounts, in the form of Linden dollars, combined.

So if the investors pay $200 million for total control of LL, they could shut down SL and just take everyone's money for a $300 million profit.

Maybe time to consider cashing in...!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Zpo4 said:

There's an estimated $500 million RL dollars sitting in residents' accounts, in the form of Linden dollars, combined.

So if the investors pay $200 million for total control of LL, they could shut down SL and just take everyone's money for a $300 million profit.

Maybe time to consider cashing in...!

Those Linden Dollars would simply vanish in the scenario you've put forth. They'd be paying $200,000,000 and getting nothing in return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm just hoping the new owners don't read 90% of this thread. They'll think all we need is a few cages to throw down in. 

I'm hoping they don't go listening to the Gaem3rz - the last thing we need is broken content because someone got a stick up their hind quarter about not being able to use Hot New Script language while using Second Life on their 790K Optical Adrenaline Rush/Endorphin Substitute displays, running though the latest L33T Money Burner GPU.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Anything marked as General now allows Teens (16+) access, essentially making a vast part of Mainland a replacement for the defunct Teen Grid. Funnily enough this also addressed at least one of the complaints said age group had concerning Second Life - there wasn't much to do or to explore.

I think part of the key issue there is the 16+. The original teen grid was 13+ and I think at that age people are more willing to experiment and learn new things, an opportune time to 'create' creators and innovators in SL in general I think, before they're swept away by other platforms.

I've encountered minors who attempt to sneak into SL during my time in SL, and it is always kind of sad when I have to send them on their way and have nowhere to send them except out of SL because I know at their age I too loved SecondLife and it was those early years that got me hooked and interested in creating.

Many if not most of the most established, creative people I know in SecondLife came in from the teen grid, so I do think it's a shame that it is gone.

6 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I think part of the key issue there is the 16+. The original teen grid was 13+ and I think at that age people are more willing to experiment and learn new things, an opportune time to 'create' creators and innovators in SL in general I think, before they're swept away by other platforms.

I've encountered minors who attempt to sneak into SL during my time in SL, and it is always kind of sad when I have to send them on their way and have nowhere to send them except out of SL because I know at their age I too loved SecondLife and it was those early years that got me hooked and interested in creating.

Many if not most of the most established, creative people I know in SecondLife came in from the teen grid, so I do think it's a shame that it is gone.

13 - 15 year olds can still access Second Life, though under tighter restrictions than they had on the Teen Grid. At least the last time I checked they could - they'd be restricted to specific Private Estates and Educational regions.

While this changes things a fair bit from the older system it is somewhat better in the long run as well.

Edited by Solar Legion
Spelling Error
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.