LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Brett Linden said:

Great question! We look forward to being able to share more as soon as we can and I know that Brad is eager to meet the community as we get closer to the closing/approval date. 

We expect to see him as an avatar in world then!😁 Or Lab Gab?....

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skylar Littlepaws said:

There's nothing wrong in getting financial support for Linden Labs as long as it is done right.  I'm sure Ebbe and the rest of the team had major discussions with the Waterfield Group of how they have certain visions for Second Life and they want to continue to keep it the way they have it.  Until you see a blog post about Second Life or Linden Labs going into a different direction continue on and have fun on Second Life.  Don't say Second Life is dying or Second Life is dead.  Right now they are continuing to improve and to develop more fun ways to make the virtual platform better for the community.  They brought back the last names,  making new linden homes, they're working converting the vritual world to the cloud servers so more regions can be added.  Have fun on SL and don't worry.  Don't forget, they just celebrated the Anniversary of Second Life and it was a huge hit.  Happy Anniversary Second Life!  

So much this! Thank you!

Second Life has survived many things and will do it again. Change is hard, but so it's growing up. 

More and more people log on every day. Bellisseria (thank  you @Patch Linden and the rest of the team) has made Second Life much more attractive to people who didn't know Second Life before, and many old timers are coming back.

Also, everything that is happening in rl right now has increased the number of people interested in working and living here. It's true that there are not as many educators in SL as there used to be, but that is changing. Educators are coming back. I am a teacher and I have been to plenty of conferences and other educational events here. Universities have schools here and more are created each day.

Let's just wait and see, there will be time to panic (if we have to) later.

Happy Anniversary Second Life!

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Craken Barbecue said:

Damn i cannot Believe it after 13 years its time to say good bye I guess that sucks.I mean you put 13 years of your life into something and wham its gone just like that.

Bye.  Can i have your stuff?

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

11 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm not worried at all, this is obviously great news.

Because Blizzard, BioWare, Infinity Ward, ID Software, and so many others did so well after they were acquired...

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not; the rank-and-file Blizzard gamer hates Activision with a passion, and BioWare has marfed its last few game outputs ostensibly because of being rushed by EA. So yeah, I'm guessing sarcasm lol.

• Like 2

In the end it all boils down to if the buyers understand the product or not.

Microsoft acquiring Mojang improved the product massively. Square Enix doing it to Eidos went rather well too.

Only time will tell what our glorious over-avatars will be like (but if they actually put in the effort to put together avatars of their own, that'd be a good sign).

Edited by Cinos Field

Just curious, do we know any stats on Linden Research revenues and where they come from?  Specific or general?

- premium account fees

- land fees

- sale of L$ (I assume they take a cut from that, but don't know forsure)

- transaction activity (I assume they take a cut from that, but don't know for sure)

6 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Well this is worrying news, and it does make sense that Sansar was offloaded first. That thing was like an albatross around LL's neck.

I guess for now I'll just "wait and see". Will the coming months see Linden staff laid off, or hired?  My two premium accounts are due for renewal in October and November and whether I renew them or not will depend on what's been going on there. If they've been laying off staff then I have no hope for SL lasting another year, so there will be no point throwing away another $198 (plus VAT) on it.

I don't think we'll just wake up one day to an announcement of SL's closure. There will be signs before then; whether the recent development of SL is continued or not, whether changes are put on hold, whether anything new is being developed. @Maitimo mentioned Bellisseria; I think that will be a good indicator too. If they stop releasing more homes that will be a good indication that they are doing nothing more than keeping the grid in tick-over mode until they can offload it to someone else.

@Patch Linden @Derrick Linden @Whitney Linden @Abnor Mole @Squeaky Mole and many, many others are still working in regions in Bellisseria, and releases are happening, granted, not as often as before because they had to concentrate in the SL17B celebrations, and because they also needed a rest after so much work (they are humans after all). I'm sure many regions will be released during the summer months, and we are getting the stilt houses later in the year!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm not worried at all, this is obviously great news.

Because Blizzard, BioWare, Infinity Ward, ID Software, and so many others did so well after they were acquired...

Yeah I loved playing wow and then wham with this last expansion they reset everything I have not played since.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What are the implications of that? I'm not technical.

Let's say you run a company that makes apple pies. Let's also say that you have your own orchard that you get your apples from. The maximum number of pies you can make is limited by the number of apple trees you have. If you want to sell more pies you need to plant and maintain more trees.

On the other hand, if you consistently sell fewer pies than your orchard can support the upkeep you need to support the excess trees is wasted. Also, if a blight goes through your orchard you need to take care of it yourself and you can't make pies until the orchard is healthy again.

However, if instead of maintaining your own orchard you bought the apples you need from a larger orchard, or multiple orchards, you'd only need to buy the exact number of apples you need for the number of pies you make at any given time and if one orchard has problems you can quickly buy apples from another orchard without having to deal with whatever problems the first orchard is having directly.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Let's say you run a company that makes apple pies. Let's also say that you have your own orchard that you get your apples from. The maximum number of pies you can make is limited by the number of apple trees you have. If you want to sell more pies you need to plant and maintain more trees.

On the other hand, if you consistently sell fewer pies than your orchard can support the upkeep you need to support the excess trees is wasted. Also, if a blight goes through your orchard you need to take care of it yourself and you can't make pies until the orchard is healthy again.

However, if instead of maintaining your own orchard you bought the apples you need from a larger orchard, or multiple orchards, you'd only need to buy the exact number of apples you need for the number of pies you make at any given time and if one orchard has problems you can quickly buy apples from another orchard without having to deal with whatever problems the orchard you had been using is having directly.

"Outsourcing" pies is a great analogy to explain moving from local resources to a cloud!

• Like 2

“Both the company and its virtual world community have a unique culture and creative energy that remain important to the long-term success of Second Life,” says Brad Oberwager. “There’s a bright future for both Second Life and Tilia and we’re excited to help fuel these growth opportunities.”

So I guess that guy that's been perving us all and IMing with only "hi" all these years finally got the money to buy the thing.

I briefly worried that it was an investment firm and not a tech company... but then I realized that if it was a tech company they'd gut the whole thing just to get their hands on one single API, fire all the employees, shut it down, and use that API for a failed iPhone / Android mobile game 6 months down the line...

So it's better if it's acquired by non-techies... they lack the knowledge of that "one API" so they must have had some other reason in mind...

Pay attention to any layoffs...

If folks start getting layoffs, it means the investment guys are linked to some tech company looking to gut it... and we're over with. If not... we'll likely just see some new CEO with weird ideas that most of us ignore.

Mr. Oberwager has spent his entire career in technology and consumer-focused companies. Mr. Oberwager is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Jyve, a Silicon Valley based technology company.

I guess I should have read a little further... that's not good news for us...

Jyve!

The business optimization platform and talent marketplace that enables brands to get things done.

- They may want to gut some of the tech here for a conferencing system... kinda like M. Linden was trying to migrate us towards...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Craken Barbecue said:

Yeah I loved playing wow and then wham with this last expansion they reset everything I have not played since.

Ever since WoW started handing out Chinese Communist Party Loyalty Contracts to sign, I deleted everything I had from Blizzard...

I trace roots through Hong Kong. The words I have for Blizzard these days are only fit for a Trump Tweet...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Dreamer Pixelmaid said:

@Patch Linden @Derrick Linden @Whitney Linden @Abnor Mole @Squeaky Mole and many, many others are still working in regions in Bellisseria, and releases are happening, granted, not as often as before because they had to concentrate in the SL17B celebrations, and because they also needed a rest after so much work (they are humans after all). I'm sure many regions will be released during the summer months, and we are getting the stilt houses later in the year!

People at this level will never know what's going to happen until it slaps them in the face.

Many times I have been in companies in Silicon Valley were on Monday we're calling clients, coding projects, pushing releases, sending out emails for customers to join up or see new programs, planning office parties, and in a meeting with a CEO talking about the future... and on Tuesday that same CEO is doing an all hands meeting and security guards follow us into the doors of the room, the back doors open, and we see boxes with our names on them that have everything that was on our desks 5 minutes earlier...

Many other times I have walked into a vast open building with 5 people in it... because it's Wednesday and they need me to help with what comes next...

And I have a friend who's job is sometimes to be to come in there last Friday, and make the list of who's going to be in that 'All hands meeting'...

• Sad 1

I think I'm just going to wait a while and see what actually is going to happen. It could get worse, it could get better.

SL has been through much and is still here, and thriving.

Plus, I have cupcakes, so all is well with the world.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bugs Larnia said:

I think I'm just going to wait a while and see what actually is going to happen. It could get worse, it could get better.

Yeah that's really all we can do.

And it will honestly take a good year after the new overlords move into the corner office for us to be able to tell their long term plans - because those plans might even change once they open up the secret vault and learn all the details that might be good or bad... O.o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.