LINDEN RESEARCH, INC. TO BE ACQUIRED

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30 minutes ago, Vanity Bonetto said:

You can stop wondering - just google Tilia and you will find out in no time what Tilia is and why it was created. And that it wasn't linked to Sansar or this acquisition. But of course, spreading endtime rumours is more fun. Why sticking to facts, right?

lmao My point went way over your head. A rhetorical question is not a statement of fact.

I've been in SL since 2004 and have watched (and supported) SL as it grew even through the rough spots so you can stop making erroneous assumptions.

31 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Tillia was created several years ago so doubtful it was with this acquisition in mind.  It's recently become more visible.  It was created to meet the requirements of United States Financial regulations.  LL hopes to sell it's services to other environments that use micro-transactions but don't wish to go through the process for meeting those financial regulations.  This might be the value seen by these investors for purchasing a controlling interest in Linden Research.  In the meantime, SL is more profitable than Tillia and also the source of Tillia's profit.

WE all know what assuming things does. Please stop assuming I don't know the history of SL when I've been here for over 16 years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Well yeah, that's why I said "Wrong answers only" and did not include the well-known "tempest" references. To make everyone else guess what was actually intended by the original poster.

According to Google, both the "teacup" (British English) and "teapot" (American English) versions are valid.

Well hey! At least one person knew! lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Um, no.  Grumpity () is very senior and has a breadth of experience in a variety of industries and leadership positions to which Patch () cannot yet aspire.  He comes out of a customer service background.  He's done EXCELLENT work, and is indeed responsible for much growth.  He has been rewarded with a VP position, an excellent advance.  Incidentally, in his former role, I believe he reported to Grumpity.

If you've ever listened to interviews with her, she is very knowledgeable about the BUSINESS of LL, as well as about the product.  

But this is moot speculation.  No executives are going anywhere at the moment, lol.

Thank you for sharing with the forum @Patch Linden life story, where he comes from and who he reported to in his former role, thing is, can you source this or is it just speculation? Mentioning LL Employes RL names granted you 2 stars for validation goals, but still, not fair and sort of unnecessary, kind of ? Then I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on this one because I am not one that look down on people just because they work hard their way to the top, but again we might be different and that's ok, ❤️ girl

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Um, no.  Grumpity  is very senior and has a breadth of experience in a variety of industries and leadership positions to which Patch cannot yet aspire.  He comes out of a customer service background.  He's done EXCELLENT work, and is indeed responsible for much growth.  He has been rewarded with a VP position, an excellent advance.  Incidentally, in his former role, I believe he reported to Grumpity.

If you've ever listened to interviews with her, she is very knowledgeable about the BUSINESS of LL, as well as about the product.  

But this is moot speculation.  No executives are going anywhere at the moment, lol.

where you get all this ? cause it just looks like you love to speculate A LOT LOL.

Edited by Mark Atlas
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What are the implications of that? I'm not technical.

Referring to the cloud move.

Stripping away all the buzzwords and nonsensical magic. It means SL wont be running on servers owned directly by LindenLab, they will be running on someone else's servers and LL will pay a rental fee. What does this mean in practical terms .. LL don't need to own servers, buy new servers, upgrade and look after servers, hire staff to sit up late into the night reading stories to the servers. Amazon (or whoever) get to do that, and LL just pay the bill.

There is a whole mess of exciting claims about what the cloud can do or be used for,  but rest assured SL will be using almost none of it (that it hasn't been using for years already - like the CDN). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

It means SL wont be running on servers owned directly by LindenLab, they will be running on someone else's servers and LL will pay a rental fee.

Lets just hope they've made their solution somewhat portable to other providers and kept a few of their own servers just in case Amazon decides they'd like to say i don't know.. increase the rent by double because they think they've got a trapped customer :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brett Linden said:

Good day, all!

Just jumping in to respond to a few of the comments...

A few folks are speculating that this is the end of SL and nothing could be further than the truth. Any talk of dismantling or radically changing the fundamentals of SL that we know and love is inaccurate. While we can't get into specific details about the deal itself, I want to emphasize the fact that this keeps Linden Lab as an independent venture led by two investors who have a great deal of awareness about what SL is and isn't. They are excited to join and help us growth both SL and Tilia while also respecting and recognizing the needs and sensitivities of the existing culture and community. 

I hope you are right. As we all know, stuff happens and things change. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nethya Emor said:

When will we get more information about any changes of direction, or have the new owners (?) addressing the community? People are wondering what they actually plan on changing, adjusting, and such, in the long term.

Since we only found out today about the purchase / change, you can "rest assured" we will find out the answers to your questions in the upcoming days, weeks, months.  There is no reason for LL (under new ownership!) to tell us all their plans so early - except reassuring us that mostly we will not be impacted as users and customers.

• Like 2

Storm in a teacup?  Not quite, but all this predicting the death of Second Life is unbecoming, stale and not helping support the community or the business or the businesses that depend upon it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vanity Bonetto said:

You can stop wondering - just google Tilia and you will find out in no time what Tilia is and why it was created. And that it wasn't linked to Sansar or this acquisition. But of course, spreading endtime rumours is more fun. Why sticking to facts, right?

Searched out "Tilia" and got this.... "Tilia is a genus of about 30 species of trees or bushes, native throughout most of the temperate Northern Hemisphere." That was from Wikipedia!

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ardy Lay said:

Storm in a teacup?  Not quite, but all this predicting the death of Second Life is unbecoming, stale and not helping support the community or the business or the businesses that depend upon it. 

People predict the "death of Second Life" all the time on the Forums.  It is often meant as a joke/sarcasm because it has been predicted for so many years now (but not come to pass). So, most of us "oldbies" see "SECOND LIFE IS DYING" etc. and just ignore it.  Or, mock it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

People predict the "death of Second Life" all the time on the Forums.  It is often meant as a joke/sarcasm because it has been predicted for so many years now (but not come to pass). So, most of us "oldbies" see "SECOND LIFE IS DYING" etc. and just ignore it.  Or, mock it.

Yup.  STALE.  Very stale.

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Searched out "Tilia" and got this.... "Tilia is a genus of about 30 species of trees or bushes, native throughout most of the temperate Northern Hemisphere." That was from Wikipedia!

Yes, they named Tilia after the tree/plants - because it is the same species as "Linden" trees!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

LL is not being acquired by the Waterfield Group, it is being acquired by "an investment group led by Randy Waterfield and Brad Oberwager."  I haven't come across a name for this investment group.  It is possible that it was created specifically for this acquisition.

If they call it Randy Brad, you can be sure that Zindra is safe, at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:
18 hours ago, animats said:

Waterfield acquisition philosophy, as addressed to companies wanting to be bought out:

"The Waterfield Private Equity Fund(s) I, II, & III; as well as The Waterfield Family Office, invest in conservatively run companies with strong free cash flow, proven management, and a platform we believe can add value to the global economic community. We prefer basic businesses with a few years of proven, conservative growth....

This is irrelevant, is it not?  LL is not being acquired by the Waterfield Group, it is being acquired by "an investment group led by Randy Waterfield and Brad Oberwager."  I haven't come across a name for this investment group.  It is possible that it was created specifically for this acquisition.

You are reading way too much into it. My reading is that the "Waterfield Group" is indeed the investment company behind this.  Why do you not think so, since it is pretty obvious?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natzuka Miliandrovic said:

Thank you for sharing with the forum @Patch Linden life story, where he comes from and who he reported to in his former role, thing is, can you source this or is it just speculation? Mentioning LL Employes RL names granted you 2 stars for validation goals, but still, not fair and sort of unnecessary, kind of ? Then I guess that we will have to agree to disagree on this one because I am not one that look down on people just because they work hard their way to the top, but again we might be different and that's ok, ❤️ girl

From this you'd think Nika dox'd them or something! Perhaps easiest to start with a November "org announcement" post on Inara Pey's blog just for convenience, following her link to the Lab's Management Team page.

I'm sure NWN has all this too, and probably the Lab's own blogs... maybe the SL17B edition of "Meet the Lindens" sessions... I mean the sources are thick on the ground.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

There's nothing wrong in getting financial support for Linden Labs as long as it is done right.  I'm sure Ebbe and the rest of the team had major discussions with the Waterfield Group of how they have certain visions for Second Life and they want to continue to keep it the way they have it.  Until you see a blog post about Second Life or Linden Labs going into a different direction continue on and have fun on Second Life.  Don't say Second Life is dying or Second Life is dead.  Right now they are continuing to improve and to develop more fun ways to make the virtual platform better for the community.  They brought back the last names,  making new linden homes, they're working on to convert the vritual world to the cloud servers so more regions can be added.  Have fun on SL and don't worry.  Don't forget, they just celebrated the Anniversary of Second Life and it was a huge hit.  Happy Anniversary Second Life!  

Edited by Skylar Littlepaws
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You are reading way too much into it. My reading is that the "Waterfield Group" is indeed the investment company behind this.  Why do you not think so, since it is pretty obvious?

Unless it is explicitly stated it can not be assumed.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Nethya Emor said:

When will we get more information about any changes of direction, or have the new owners (?) addressing the community? People are wondering what they actually plan on changing, adjusting, and such, in the long term.

Great question! We look forward to being able to share more as soon as we can and I know that Brad is eager to meet the community as we get closer to the closing/approval date. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.