Making alts is hard. Frequent alt players, please advise.

Blaise Glendevon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on the same account since 2010, and the same corresponding Flickr account. I've been thinking about starting an alt that doesn't have any associations with Blaise. But the one-two punch of not having my expansive inventory and having to set up a whole new mesh head/body situation (after slowly accruing cabinets of heads and closets of headless bodies) and a small capsule wardrobe is just EXHAUSTING. 

For those of you who have alts, what is the bare minimum of outfits/makeups/jewelry you've been able to start with? What are the crucial accessory pieces? I will challenge myself to restrict this account to one body and one head, to be determined. Send prayers. 

17 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I've been on the same account since 2010, and the same corresponding Flickr account. I've been thinking about starting an alt that doesn't have any associations with Blaise. But the one-two punch of not having my expansive inventory and having to set up a whole new mesh head/body situation (after slowly accruing cabinets of heads and closets of headless bodies) and a small capsule wardrobe is just EXHAUSTING. 

For those of you who have alts, what is the bare minimum of outfits/makeups/jewelry you've been able to start with? What are the crucial accessory pieces? I will challenge myself to restrict this account to one body and one head, to be determined. Send prayers. 

Not all alts are fashionistas. And a couple of month ago I did a post making a new alt (just me in Ruth form actually not a new account) to reproduce a blogger challenge from long ago.  I think I made five outfits and they were all free. The mesh body was free too and NOW you have the free Genus head again so a plus there. 

My alts EARNED their Lara bodies or used the free ones. Earning back then was The Realms which of course is not so worthwhile now. But still it is very easy to get a good looking alt with almost no money expended. I am going to see if I can find that post. 

Here you go.  https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2020/03/2020-avatar-makeover-four-looks.html

I really couldn't find a free swimsuit that fit the altamura body at that time, but since there is the Genus nead again using that and eBody would no doubt make the adventure easier.   I read that eBody is now BOM but haven't checked that. If so then there are plenty of free skins you could use. 

Have fun. 

• Like 1

I have a set budget for mesh things, but free goodies are always appreciated. I think if I were going to go with a freebie, it would be the TMP Classic - there's enough stuff in the MP from when that body was a going concern to outfit me nicely. It's pretty impressive how you got those Maitreya fits on that Altamura body though! And I always forget about Coco's freebies. 

I started mine off with the mesh head/body and a decent AO and skin, and then hit MP for free or promo clothing and hair.  Gacha stuff can be picked up cheaply too.  You can find some diamonds in there if you have the patience to look hard enough.  Also if the SLB17 event is still on and you have the time, hit there for the freebies.  And don't forget things like Fifty Linden Fridays or groups that have tons of group gifts - Scandalize for example has a whole wall of them, along with many lucky letter boards for group members.  It is sometimes worth joining groups that gift regularly that do have join fees - Truth is an example here.  

• Thanks 1

One of my alts uses a cheap Maitreya compatible body with Catwa Freya currently but is just as happy with the free Genus or Dream heads there's not much difference in head shape got it one of the free skins from Stay at home Club and Izzies valentine freebie make-up, it currently wears Limerence hair, SEmotion AO, a collar/choker, shey boots and a jacket/top combo & jeans from Blueberry obtained with free credit given out in the group or at previous Shop & Hop events excluding the body everything was free except the L$10 boots. While there's still a couple of days left for this years Shop & Hop you could send it on a freebie grab the Addams booth freebie is L$500 credit that will get you a couple of outfits to keep an alt happy, one booth has a free AO there's a few others with hair and accessories

• Thanks 1

Hm. Maybe I wasn't clear about what I'm spitballing. I've budgeted for a high quality body, head, and skin and some amount of cosmetics to go with it. I'm pretty good on scouting freebies & cheapies. I'm actually racking my head to think about what one would need for a well-curated, mix-and-match small wardrobe until I eventually accrue years of junk on this other account too. I can guess on the general things - some separates, a few dresses of varying length, two or three pairs of shoes - probably scored at a discount event, some underthings, at least one necklace, choker, pair of earrings, ring or bracelet. All put together towards one overriding aesthetic. And some poses, because I'm going to document the whole thing of course. 

Well I guess then it depends what you intend to use your alt for.  I use mine for extra bodies when blogging, so tend to regularly update them with skins/hairs/outfits/accessories etc as well as buying them the outfits I need them to have for the blog post...so they have extensive inventories.  I tend not to keep decor items on them as they don't need them.  

4 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I have quite a few still running around in the SL default avatars.

Then again, they aren't really allowed out in public either.

• Like 1

Each theme I want resulted in a new alt, back when I was turning them out.

Now I've had them for years and while they all have their own theme, it's kinda similar across the lot.

The mistake will be trying to keep them isolated / apart / too different from each other. The mistake will be to try and hide them. Just let folks you socialize with enjoy your various aspects.

Good reasons to make them:

1. Land groups on mainland - to get the 10% tier bonus

2. Different roleplay themes

3. Different looks and a feeling that your avatar is tied to a specific theme

4. Getting multiple linden homes

5. Probably some other stuff too

Anything that involves words like 'hide', 'spy', 'cheat', 'catch', or other drama... is a bad reason.

I started to count and I think they are too much: I have 5 alts.

And it IS too much work and time.  I can say now things are easy because good creators are giving away stuff for free, even bodies that are amazing and can wear maitreya clothes with no problem at all (I'm talking about Ariadna from Kalhene, but unfortunately, she also received a DMCA the other day, so maybe because it was a success...)

Even so.. in an event you have to go with the avie to the places so it can have a nice wardrobe... it takes time...

BUT

Yes, I thought about "too much work... I should have had a neat inventory and separate with folders between looks/avatars -like "my japanese avie, my african avie, my girl avie, my furry, etc" but ... I feel safe because if something happens with my main, I still have the others...

So if you feel it is a bother you can revamp your old avie...

At the end, it will be a matter of what is your necessity... It will take less time to have an all in one, but everything has its advantages and disadvantages...

Why would you want an alt? What kind of RP you want for it? Do you feel it is work? if so, why would you want to do it?

Take it easy, and just enjoy and play.

Edited by Elisaisabel Munro

Hm. Maybe I wasn't clear about what I'm spitballing. I've budgeted for a high quality body, head, and skin and some amount of cosmetics to go with it. I'm pretty good on scouting freebies & cheapies. I'm actually racking my head to think about what one would need for a well-curated, mix-and-match small wardrobe until I eventually accrue years of junk on this other account too. I can guess on the general things - some separates, a few dresses of varying length, two or three pairs of shoes - probably scored at a discount event, some underthings, at least one necklace, choker, pair of earrings, ring or bracelet. All put together towards one overriding aesthetic. And some poses, because I'm going to document the whole thing of course. 

If you do not need a "freebie avatar" then buy Maitreya. You find almost all sorts of freebies/cheapies for that body.

Go to Genus and pick up their free head. You save 5000 L compared to a full priced Bento head. Genus has an offer now of 3300 L for the other heads, but why, when you are making an alt? I would say, make the alt today. Who knows how long the Genus head is free.

Follow Access Happy Weekend. https://www.flickr.com/photos/weloveslfashion/

This, along with other weekend sales gives you a lot of high quality to work with. I have bought ears for all my alts from Pumec on these weekends.

SL17B have great freebies. Hurry before it ends. Good offers: Blueberry, L'Etre & Doux, Addams, Pixicat, Sintiklia, Avi-Glam (great eyes), Alaskametro (summerly blue manicure/pedi) also free samples on the MP, Revoul (Body skin not included, add 400 L to the cost), BodyLanguage Sweetlovely cute, free AO you can pick the ones you like, and 50% off other animations. These are great animations. Maybe others can suggest more. The boardwalk did not impress me, the stores have the best gifts.

Speaking of AO, I unpacked this one for a male alt and was amazed. I am sure the female is as good. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Sweets-Free-Sweet-Girl-AO/17552137

Mix this with animations from the SL17B store over. I added stands and a walk, but used the rest. It is great to have turn left, right, prejump and other anim for free. Ignore the reviews who can't use things in SL.

I am sure you know the groups that give gifts. Will just mention Erratic for fantastic eyes.

For me and my alts, a good mesh body is always the bare minimum, a mesh head less important, though once BOM opened up the possibility of using cheaper heads and skins, I have upgraded most of them.

My alts have various bodies; I tend to get different ones just to try them out. The guys have Belleza Jake and Ex Machina Davide, the girls have Maitreya and Belleza Freya. I regret getting Maitreya for Indra now and I'm planning to switch her to either Freya or Hourglass in the next few months, whenever I have the cash to spare, and at some point I will switch Frost to a Jake body as well.  The two guys both have heads from Lightstar, they are L$1000 and now that BOM is a thing, they are much better than they were. Indra has one of the Lelutka Evo heads but she has switched to the free Catwa Freya head, and my newest girl is a furry most of the time so she doesn't need a human head, on the rare occasion that she does go out as a human she uses a LAQ head. I'm planning to get the free Genus head for both of them too, though. And I have two alts (both guys) who don't have any mesh body/head at all yet. I may not bother for either of them as they are used so rarely.

Getting a wardrobe together is much easier and cheaper for the girls, since there's so much more free stuff available, and I try to make a point of taking them round the 50L Fridays and weekend sales most weekends. For the guys, I'm more likely to pay for full-price clothing , though it's infrequent; they tend to have the same look and stick to it. Frost wears only white clothing and Casidy usually wears fantasy/medieval garb. 

It's hard to say what my "minimum" is, singe the majority of my alts are accounts I've had for many years; only the newest one was made in the last 12 months. Her inventory size is currently at around 15k, so she hasn't got a lot, really.

9 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

You should get like a mesh head and body, a decent skin and AO, then for clothes and hair and stuff you can always collect the freebies, or you can do some shopping like FLF and TSS and HW, I have an alt too, and I always do sale shopping.

I'm bad at making alts.

I started my male alt, thinking I would just need one or two outfits for each occasion (something casual, something formal, something for the beach...) and then I ended up shopping for him almost as much as for my main.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I'm bad at making alts.

I started my male alt, thinking I would just need one or two outfits for each occasion (something casual, something formal, something for the beach...) and then I ended up shopping for him almost as much as for my main.

Yes, I suddenly found out that an alt should be Victorian/Steampunk. I shudder to think what I have spent now... just the cane AO, oh my.

I'm equipping my new alt on a budget; not completely free but I'm trying not to spend a lot of money.  They have the Lucybody from the MM board (plus L$200 for the BOM relay - I need to figure out how to make my own relay for that) and the free Genus head, and most of their hair and clothes so far have come from events and group gifts. I've also bought some low-cost stuff from the MP. 

I didn't intend for my alt to look just like me but they do.

I think...  If I'm not mistaken the OP is asking about a well rounded wardrobe?  It really does depend on what your using it for, etc...  But, I know for myself I need at the very least...

- beach clothing...  shorts,  swimsuit

- casual skirt like a denim skirt that will go with any top.

- several casual tops

- long hair and pony tail

- fatpack of heels and boots

- fatpack of some type of stockings

13 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

My best advise is live as cheaply as possible for your house or skybox rental and keep it just for a place to change clothes rather than a showy expensive place and save what extra money you do have for your alts wardrobe.  

There are inexpensive stores to find great items...off the top of my head -bus- comes to mind and there are always gift items to look for on MP.   The first two links are 1 linden each tops and the last one is a 10 linden top with color change options.  

I didn't know what gender you wanted to be, but I put the tops here to show you, and there are always new items to find very cheaply on MP.  

Crucial to me are always SHAPE/SKIN/HAIR/EYES, the rest is icing.  

And, when I started with my main as a mesh body, I used Gacha skins at 15 linden apiece.  I used Atomic for Catwa.  You'd find the Atomic skins by typing in Marketplace search, Atomic Catwa.  I've gotten Gacha hairs for as low as 10 linden, so check those out too.  Learn to keyword search.  

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/GIFT-MH-Teria-Lace-Top-Collection/17398112

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NG-Cropped-Hoodies-Basics/17932003

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/No-Cabide-Clara-Crop-Top-HUD-10-Models/16419652

Edited by FairreLilette

yeah this totally depends how often you're going to be using your alt and what look you're trying to go for?

like, my main is your basic Maitreya girl so she spent L$250 on the Blueberry group and with group gifts, giveaways and so on that kits her out in simple separates; jeans, tops, a jacket or two. join the Addams group, much the same. occasionally she'll pick up a cute dress from Pixicat. she could probably get by with five pairs of shoes: sneakers, heels, flip-flops, ballet flats, boots for winter. also in the Truth and Akeruka groups so her hair and head pretty much get chosen for her. she's in a 7DS skin which I think she either won on a lucky board or got on group credit.

now, all i do in this anime alt is run around linden realms and i'm quite happy with one pair of sneakers and a couple of sailor dresses out of gachas. all my hairs are gifts from Ayashi. so, there's basic and there's super-basic.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.