Old builds inspiration

ConnorWatson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I was wondering: Over the years there were some fantastic creators who made items and structures that were quite unique. 

If for some reason this creator went offline and closed the store, what options does one have to recreate / build an own version inspired by the original build.

By this i mean creating a new build myself from scratch, not using a copybot option (as a creator i hate those tools)

Are there sl regulations / RL laws that apply when the original creator cannot be contacted for a permit?

I can imagine it will give problems if a creator decides to come back to SL (with creator account)

Edited by ConnorWatson

2 answers to this question

No problems at all as long as you use your own textures/build processing and of course not their trademark (if they have any).

What you should avoid though although rarely checked is the use of RL company trademarks.

Lets say you want to design clothes and like many clothing creators do you rip for example an Adidas shoe from whatever source you are able to find it and make it to be used/sold in game, you better not name it Adidas or have the company logos on it.

" recreate / build an own version inspired by the original build."

You can be inspired by anything, but if you recreate it (
closely) you are creating a derivative work and would require the permission of the original creator (even if you do it from scratch).   Copyright does not expire if the creator is no longer active on the platform, it remains valid.    Do you have a link to the original build?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.