• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are those that use mains to do nefarious things.

There are a lot of reasons why some people make them. For one it might  be about playing as something totally different and you dont want that associated with your main account. Some people dont want

During my first SL tour-of-duty, I created a Sugar Mommy account to hold my CC information, Madelaine Marbach, and Snugs Eisenhart. Snugs was a male avi I'd put together to entice an old IRC/Messenger

Posted Images

The only reason I have an alt is because I started a new a/c when I came back a few weeks ago.  Then I found the password for Horus & was so relieved to get back to him, even though all my previous friends & places are long gone.  Horus certainly doesn't get bombarded with IMs but now I will log in as my alt just to try on demos & such.  

There is a way to use Alts, all premium, to get a region for free. As one figures out the actual cost for a Premium account plus the 1024 sqm it works out to be cheaper to have Alts. Some one has an blog article on how to do that. I've forgotten who. But I was surprised when I saw the math.

Several have pointed out an Alt provides privacy. Sort of a do not disturb avatar for building or whatever.

Some use Alts to manage their creative work and hand only the final versions off to an Alt for the marketplace sales. During the creation phase I can generate a lot of files and items as I experiment. Fortunately I can keep the majority of those files in the Beta Grid.

Then there is my male Alt. There are toys like Project Arousal that require a partner to figure out. I find it much easier to figure things out without a male partner impatiently wanting on me. 

Also, if I don't want people hitting on me, not that I have that many hitting on my main, then I'll use the male. It allows me to see how things are going in clubs and places new to me.

Also, I get to experiment with male genitals to see what they can do. 😲

When I was more into blogging I would make a new Alt to go through the new user signup to review it and note the changes.

I use my main probably 95% of the time.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Some use Alts to manage their creative work and hand only the final versions off to an Alt for the marketplace sales. During the creation phase I can generate a lot of files and items as I experiment.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that when making stuff (scripts, sometimes other items) I often use an alt to test next owner permissions on. I have made many slip ups in the past where I passed an item with the wrong permissions to someone.
For example: A script which was supposed to be no modify was modifiable and the user that I made it for wanted to change something even though they had no scripting knowledge, so they completely messed up the script. No major issues arose, but it took a long time for me to find out about this because the user was so ashamed of messing up the script that they didn't want to ask me for a new copy.
Luckily I'm a pack rat and still had a copy of the script, but to protect future users and myself, I now test the perms of my work on an alt instead of relying on users' preparedness to inform me of permission oopsies 🙂 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Famous last words.

I got really lazy with my first inventory.. I have way too many directories and sub-directories just all over the place..

Even have a couple directories called, Old Inventory.. hehehe

Those were from system clothes and sculptie phase and then mesh coming along..

The first thing I did with this one was set up my directories, but never put any directories or sub-directories below the trash can..

Everything goes into the main directories that are already there.. Actually, I do have two folders below there..

one called Demos and the other is Purchased and needs sorting..

I make it a point now, to take care of those and get them cleaned out right away..that really was my whole problem on my first one..

That and cut my shopping down more and learn from my mistakes the first time around..hehehehe

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I got really lazy with my first inventory.. I have way too many directories and sub-directories just all over the place..

Even have a couple directories called, Old Inventory.. hehehe

Those were from system clothes and sculptie phase and then mesh coming along..

The first thing I did with this one was set up my directories, but never put any directories or sub-directories below the trash can..

Everything goes into the main directories that are already there.. Actually, I do have two folders below there..

one called Demos and the other is Purchased and needs sorting..

I make it a point now, to take care of those and get them cleaned out right away..that really was my whole problem on my first one..

That and cut my shopping down more and learn from my mistakes the first time around..hehehehe

I use the # in front of the main folder name so that they stay at the top with system folders below, sorted alphabetically. The system folders that accept inventory are not used except for incoming inventory. All others are used with the addition of my own folders to customize.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I use the # in front of the main folder name so that they stay at the top with system folders below, sorted alphabetically. The system folders that accept inventory are not used except for incoming inventory. All others are used with the addition of my own folders to customize.

I'll do things like that inside the main directories.. I'm just trying to keep  that bottomless pit feeling under control when I first open it..

My first inventory I had a good system for it, but I just got very very lazy with it.. I just need to make sure I don't  get that way with this one..

• Like 1

I don't have any alts. never felt the need to use them. Though this is not my first account. I had another that was older than this one but over time and certain reasons decided to stop using it and so started this one. After that I deleted the old one and even deleted the email and password for it so could never go back to the older account.

1 hour ago, ballparkdogg said:

I have an alt that is a tgirl and I have fun.  With some close friends or relationships i am honest.  Otherwise no one knows

Nothing wrong with that, its your secondlife afterall, i dont have alts im new to secondlife but everyone thinks im an alt lol

22 minutes ago, CopenhagenBlack said:

Nothing wrong with that, its your secondlife afterall, i dont have alts im new to secondlife but everyone thinks im an alt lol

Sometimes people assume wrongly you are an alt if you are new and all “meshed” already within a short period of time

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ballparkdogg said:

Sometimes people assume wrongly you are an alt if you are new and all “meshed” already within a short period of time

That makes sense yes, no one told me why they thought that. A friend actually helped me and showed me everything, assumptions suck lol

I have a alt, I’m still very new to sl. My first attempt was a mess,pages of the same items, I wanted to delete the lot. Some friends talked me out of it and considering the money I spent, I’m glad.
I have ocd with my second acc, I play them diff and enjoy them both. 

Edit: I have removed the said alt name of the person who sent me abusive messages. I realise I probably shouldn't have named them here, and I am quite willing to hold my hands up and say I was wrong about that. 

As others have explained, there are many reasons why people create alts.

This was my first account and I created an alt, just really out of boredom, but then got even more bored with having to flip between the two, and remember which one had what dress, and so forth. I was going to deactivate this one permanently, but decided at the last minute that this was the one I would keep.

I have since made another which I used for business management for my store, but I've found it's easier for me to handle store related stuff myself, and it works better for me to engage with my customers as 'me', the creator and owner of the store. It's just more personable I think. So yeah, my business manager alt is now redundant. I might use her for testing purposes or maybe trying demos, etc, to save messing up my appearance with this avi (account).

Some people I know have alts for building and testing, to avoid being IMd and engaged with while they are working on things, or at least to minimalise getting interrupted.

A lot of people also use them for blogging photos and such. There are so many reasons why people have them these days.

Times have moved on a lot from the early days of alts only being created to cause trouble or lead a second dodgy 'secret' SL, although I'm sure many of those do still exist. I see a lot of griefers with multiple alts, although often they are obviously the same person. A guy I met on here was sending me fairly horrible IMs, using an alt. His name was quite ironic too..  (Edit: People can use their imaginations here.) You know how the saying goes.  '...... by name, ..... by nature.'

Edited by Scarlett Fenutzini
46 minutes ago, Scarlett Fenutzini said:

Times have moved on a lot from the early days of alts only being created to cause trouble or lead a second dodgy 'secret' SL, although I'm sure many of those do still exist. I see a lot of griefers with multiple alts, although often they are obviously the same person. A guy I met on here was sending me fairly horrible IMs, using an alt called xDickx which was quite ironic. You know how the saying goes. Dick by name....

Remove the name from your post, your not allowed to name and shame on the forums its against the rules.

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Remove the name from your post, your not allowed to name and shame on the forums its against the rules.

By the same rule, you should mask out the name when you quote someone that did the name & shame.

• Like 2

@Drakonadrgora DarkfoldEdit: I've removed the name as explained in my original reply to this thread. 

The person made no secret that this was their alt either, so I'm not sure why they even used it. It was reported and as I understand, the person didn't even receive a warning. 

@LittleMe JewellI'm not referring to being contacted by LL about the outcome of a report. I know that does not happen. Like I say, as I understood, no warning or anything was issued. I base this on other things that I know. I will not (cannot) disclose those things here.

This was more about the way in which people sometimes abuse having an alt, which was more the point. Interestingly enough, as I've already pointed out, this alt was not even a 'secret' alt, which makes it even more odd. This person may as well have used their main anyway. People are weird, it's true, but like I also said in my original reply, there are some very good reasons why people have alts. It was more about the stark contrast between how they are utilised really.