Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I don't fully understand why people make Alts. I have invested a lot of time and effort into my AV, and it's my "brand". I'm an Escort, so my AV is my marketing tool, and I need people to recognize me. I can see some nasty reasons to do so, but beyond that I don't get it!!! Thoughts anyone???

Before reading replies....

1.  To have privacy.  Maybe I just want to bounce around and not be bothered with *people*.  Yet, I don't want to block people from seeing me.

2.  Different characters.  Maybe I have a findomme alt, an escort alt, a male alt

3.  Business alts.  When I sold clothes, pre-mesh, I didn't do so on my main account

4.  Pre "Resident" - making fun full-name grabs

Not all reasons to have an alt are nefarious and nasty

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because not everyone is an hypersexual escort aka prostitute.

During my first SL tour-of-duty, I created a Sugar Mommy account to hold my CC information, Madelaine Marbach, and Snugs Eisenhart. Snugs was a male avi I'd put together to entice an old IRC/Messenger

There are a lot of reasons why some people make them. For one it might  be about playing as something totally different and you dont want that associated with your main account. Some people dont want

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Send them to my office for a casting. One after the other. They all have to pass.
Sleen will have a lot of fun.

 

It's always a temptation, for the shopping money. Obviously whoever gets through will tell the others haha.

I've dabbled twice on a date board, but that's been it so far........................

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My main account is a builder.

One alt was a runway model. One I use as a builder's helper (poses/anims etc), the other one I used for roleplaying.

Why separate accounts for all that? In three words, inventory and groups. All basic accounts because I simply can't afford premium for even one account, contrary to what many choose to believe. My bank balance at the end of each month was $7 USD, now it is $5. If I'm lucky.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't be in multiple places at once without multiple accounts, so, multiple accounts it is.

And I don't mean just hanging out in multiple places, but testing things I've created, like scripts that handle multiple avatars.

Catching 'special' names is also fun, but very hard now that new accounts can only be "Residents." But I'm very happy with Bonkable Resident and llScriptProfiler Resident. I almost changed my name on this account to "Rounded Float."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Is buying a last name an option?

I don't know. I wish it wasn't expensive though, and really it's more of an issue here in the forums. I wish we could use our display names!!!

Edited by Bagnu
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I don't know. I wish it wasn't expensive though, and really it's more of an issue here in the forums. I wish we could use our display names!!!

only 407 more posts and you can make it your title

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

only 407 more posts and you can make it your title

I'm not sure LL is okay with anyone having "Sextoy" in their title on a general-rated forum.. No idea how they'd handle it being in the username.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made several alts over the years for various reasons, though none as entertaining as Maddy's.  The only one that I use these days is Lynnette Weston.  Her primary purpose is to be a bank account for our little rental operation.  She holds the money, so I don't go spending it all on shoes.  I also use her to demonstrate the concept of "alts" in my weekly Avatar Safety class.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've made several alts over the years for various reasons, though none as entertaining as Maddy's.  The only one that I use these days is Lynnette Weston.  Her primary purpose is to be a bank account for our little rental operation.  She holds the money, so I don't go spending it all on shoes.  I also use her to demonstrate the concept of "alts" in my weekly Avatar Safety class.

But her shoes!

 I mean...

but her emails? 😶

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 2:41 PM, Bagnu said:

I don't fully understand why people make Alts. I have invested a lot of time and effort into my AV, and it's my "brand". I'm an Escort, so my AV is my marketing tool, and I need people to recognize me. I can see some nasty reasons to do so, but beyond that I don't get it!!! Thoughts anyone???

I created multiple alts and made them Premium in order for them to donate their tier to the land group.  At the time, when Premium membership was lower, it was cheaper than paying the increased tier monthly fee, especially for odd amounts of land.

These days, I use alt accounts so that I can have more than one style of Linden Home and still maintain property on the Mainland.

I also have alts created to help test permissions of things and I've created a male alt to help with positioning of male poses.

In the true definition of things, this account is an alt, even though it is now my main account.  I was originally created to explore a different side of SL than my original account.  This one ended up making friends and finding a sort of family with a great group of folks and ended up taking over as the account that was the one always online.  

These days, the other accounts now mostly only log on to give me their stipends (for the Premium ones) or deal with Linden Home stuff that only the owner can deal with or help with a bit of testing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first alt was made because I wanted to recapture the fun of being new ( it didn't lol) so I deleted the account after a few months.

My second was so I could explore SL without friends messaging me and acting hurt if I didn't want to hang out. I still have that one.

I also have 2 accounts I don't use. I just thought of usernames I really liked and when I saw they were available, I grabbed them Lol  Maybe one day I'll fix them up and so something with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have been told that I need to have an alt.....

Long story short - for some reason the single sign on system used by LL cannot cope with this account and the JIRA. The fix is "longer term" so in the meantime the workaround advised by LL themselves was to create an alt simply for JIRA purposes. I'm somewhat reluctant to do so - I mean I do have certain standards and even if they are for JIRA purposes only they need to dress well and look good!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG everyone with alts.. you are all so evil and should be ashamed of the all the nefarious things you do with your alts.. You should be totally ashamed you dont go right out and tell everyone you ever meet you have alts and who they are and add them on the alt immediately or else.... :P

hiding from friends.. hiding from others.. playing as something your not.. omg like come on.. that is just so wrong!!!! :P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

You should be totally ashamed you dont go right out and tell everyone you ever meet you have alts and who they are...

Hahahaha I always did tell them, most didn't care and i didn't care either for them. Those that got nervous i gave them a warm send off.

Didn't want them to feel "uncomfortable", they deserved something "closer to their standards".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Making an alt to hold $L does make sense. I wouldn't ever interact with anyone with it though if I did. It would defeat the purpose. I had a good friend admit she approached me as an alt to practice her English. I felt weird about that, and told her she can chat with me anytime to improve her language skills.

I could make an alt just for Escorting, with Clients only as friends, but that would take the fun out of it. I love comparing notes and talking about outfits with my gf's!!!! And of course chatting about other things too!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

OMG everyone with alts.. you are all so evil and should be ashamed of the all the nefarious things you do with your alts.. You should be totally ashamed you dont go right out and tell everyone you ever meet you have alts and who they are and add them on the alt immediately or else.... :P

hiding from friends.. hiding from others.. playing as something your not.. omg like come on.. that is just so wrong!!!! :P

Nope, not everyone, I don't have Alts, and I have nothing to hide because believe it or not, I'm a PG player!
But I'm thinking to get an alt now for linden homes Hunting, that's the only reason I would get an alt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ballparkdogg said:

I have a handful.  male and female.    Doing different things.  I keep most of mine a secret .  

OmG keeping them a secret!!!!! How rude!!! How crude!!!111!! How disrepectful!!!! You should totally feel bad for doing so!!!!111!!!!11!!!! :P

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nora is an alt in the sense that she was not the first. I have a Clarity floating around the grid somewhere, so if you see her - do send her on home. 

Now - this avatar is also my business account, which means that although I do have my fun on the forums, I strive to be as professional as possible. I also regularly get slammed with IMs, and sometimes you just want to log into SL and relax. Without it, SL seems more like a chore than anything. Hence the other avatar. Am I hiding? I love my clients, but you bet! And that’s okay! I’d have lost what little marbles I have left without doing so. 

I also have a male alt for photography pose assist. He is totally meshed out, and works well as a Ken Doll.

Live your best SL 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, norajulian said:

Now - this avatar is also my business account, which means that although I do have my fun on the forums, I strive to be as professional as possible. I also regularly get slammed with IMs, and sometimes you just want to log into SL and relax.

Due to this, the MP that I'm thinking of starting up will likely be under one of my older alts. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 7:34 PM, Talligurl said:

only 407 more posts and you can make it your title

I seem to be headed there lol!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a bank alt is very useful if you have multiple alts. It's such a pain to be shopping and finding that you need cash only to be logging into every alt saying, "Who has the money? Who has the money?" An alt is also incredibly useful for verification. Verify that your store vendor is working correctly. Verify that you look normal to other avatars. Verify that a sim is down. Verify that you can log into SL. Verify that your security orb is working. Etc. I personally started making alts to try out new hair colors. For the first two years in SL, I was a brunette and could never see myself as blonde. It was some kind of personality roadblock and I just couldn't function as a blonde. Somehow, by using an alt I was able to wear blonde hair because it wasn't me and I could experience SL in a different way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Having a bank alt is very useful if you have multiple alts. It's such a pain to be shopping and finding that you need cash only to be logging into every alt saying, "Who has the money? Who has the money?" An alt is also incredibly useful for verification. Verify that your store vendor is working correctly. Verify that you look normal to other avatars. Verify that a sim is down. Verify that you can log into SL. Verify that your security orb is working. Etc. I personally started making alts to try out new hair colors. For the first two years in SL, I was a brunette and could never see myself as blonde. It was some kind of personality roadblock and I just couldn't function as a blonde. Somehow, by using an alt I was able to wear blonde hair because it wasn't me and I could experience SL in a different way. 

I totally see the point now. I might create one for banking and checking things. I don't want to deceive anyone though. I'm leery about changing my haircolour, and would only wear a hairstyle that works within the limits of my long hair. I'm new though, so maybe I'll get bored with my present look. Can we fully change our AV to another one without losing the ability to revert back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Can we fully change our AV to another one without losing the ability to revert back?

Yes, in fact you can save your look as an outfit, then change everything, and then go back to the saved look with the click of a button. One of my saved looks is a mermaid.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Yes, in fact you can save your look as an outfit, then change everything, and then go back to the saved look with the click of a button. One of my saved looks is a mermaid.

Thanks!!! I was afraid to try!!! I suspected that, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...