How can i achieve the realistic look ?!

BbyMuvaht

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive seen many of beautiful avis with such realistic features. For some reason i can not achieve it. i switched from genus to lelutka thinking it'd help but no i still cant achieve it. any advice?

ive tried different skins , popular ones too. i dont know what im doing wrong. thank youuuu ❤️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

If you can show us a picture of your avatar, and describe exactly what you think is wrong with it, and what you are trying to achieve, maybe someone can help?

^^^ This ^^^

Also it is more than a skin that makes an avatar "realistic".  Shape is very important too, so check out demos (unless you are good at modifying your shape - I'm not!!!).  Take some time to explore the eye options out there as some brands are more realistic looking than others.  

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 3

i know the pain of the original poster.. 

so my own lil bit of advice, grab your snipping tool from widows and take a few shots of people you like (or print screen, screen shots ect) ..save them in a file.. and then try to mimic a shape..with the sliders.. remembering that body proportions are a MUST.. because alot of avies in SL have huge b o o bs or b u t t s.. and they dont like realisice. 

i tried the whole big knockers look..and the big legacy tush..and for me..it got old real fast after a short while..and like you, i wanted "the realistic look" .. though im not about to fork out about couple of grand for the LEL or catwa heads.. i use genus baby.. but i managed to slim the face down quite a bit, so something that looks like a slim white female...and then, because i wanted to give her a more "model" appearance, i made her taller, and stretched her torso..no saddle bags and smaller tush and knockers..im quite happy with it.

once the shape is done.. get some realisc hair.. for me, sealthic is the best.. magickas NEWER hair is also pretty good.. don't go for flexi hairs or anime hairs.. it'll just wreak the look.

then some realisic eyes.. europhric? ..they're pretty good.. and some natural makeup.

for skins, i use 7DS because its pretty without being too much, granted though i do also have a few skins from Revolu?..but i find the face can look a bit overdone ..as much as i like the body skins.. there seems to be a shine and lipgloss on the head skins, which i cant control.

• Like 3

You have to do a lot of combos of skin & heads...takes awhile, but be patient, you will find what works best for you :)

For me, nothing beats the combination of Genus classic and Session skins:

The New Me!

And for Lelu, I go with Not Found:

One Step From Grace

For me, they are the best combinations for a realistic look, others might disagree or suggest something else, but it suits me :)  Good luck!

• Like 11

There are a few things to consider for that but rule #1 don't try to be unrealistically realistic.

Shape should be symmetrical you can't  have legs length being twice your avatars torso (or tiny,-short hands).. Don't shrink the legs just fix the torso.

Get a proper high quality detailed head skin that does look like human skin and not the usual "plastic doll" , make sure you also get the right  body skin for it. Mix'n'match doesn't work.

Regarding hair there are too many options when it comes to women so try demos .. lots of them. You will notice what's realistic.

More or less that's it, just remember that your realistic look does not look the same to others due to different screen resolutions and imagination... so as long as you see it fine it's ok.

Tip: When you are about to have a photo you will need to temporarily readjust your shape for the view angle/zoom you  use.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BbyMuvaht said:

Ive seen many of beautiful avis with such realistic features. For some reason i can not achieve it. i switched from genus to lelutka thinking it'd help but no i still cant achieve it. any advice?

ive tried different skins , popular ones too. i dont know what im doing wrong. thank youuuu ❤️

It's about shape and proportion but a lot of the shapes you can buy have the "balloon" giant hips kind of shape for the body so that's frustrating.  

You mentioned you got a Genus head, I think Avenge have some very realistic looking skins (the pic below is for Genus).  You may want to go through them.    

If you like a skin and the shape looks realistic drop a notecard to the creator and ask if they might sell you the shape.  

I think this skin below is for the Strong Face, but it looks real to me...much less "doll" looking.   I believe she put a photo of real hair on this picture with Photoshop though.  As far as hair, it's tough to get a realistic hair.  I'd go with Magika as the best too as far as her newer line.

Genus_Kara_demo.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 4

I don't know if the OP means realistic facial features or something else. In regards to the face,  one thing I noticed as I tried all the Catwa head demos was that the default eyes and mouths were too large in proportion to the face. I don't know if other mesh faces are like that but I have seen many people walking around with unnatural looking faces. It seems counter-intuitive to make your eyes smaller but beauty is in both symmetry and proportion. Our brains are wired to detect small details on the human face which is why we are able to see the 'uncanny valley' in faces that don't look quite human even if they are modified to look artistically beautiful. 

• Like 2

Everyone has an opinion about what makes an avatar “realistic” so here is another one to add to the pile. When I see a striking avatar as others have told you it comes down to a good skin, eyes, hair and shape,  but there are other smaller things that take you from basic to exceptional - flaws. Things like freckles, moles, better brows, cellulite , pores, skin discolorations , and even wrinkles can add depth to even the most basic skins. With the introductions of BOM (bakes on mesh) the sky is literally the limit with a lot these things. A few of my favorite stores for skin details include Izzie’s, TF, Warpaint, Adored, and I know there are a zillion others that are equally amazing that I am failing to remember at this moment. So basically my advice is to add some character to your avatar with imperfections. When everything is perfect, it becomes uncanny valley .

*awkward transition*

There are few things shape wise that helps with realism too. I find that a lot avatars have skimped on hip and arm length, and while I could give you values  for what I consider good slider numbers for those two areas it might not look right on your particular avatar due to height/body shape differences. Just things to think about while you work on your avatar.

If you are looking for specific help with avatar customization, send me a message in world and I can send you some links. I am an avid researcher, and usually can find just about anything someone is looking for provided with enough information.

Cheers, and good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

hey guys , thank you for all of your comments . I tried to find a gyazo of some shots i took of people whom i thought were beautiful asf but cant seem to find them. Here is one my sis took of someone and i was just in awe https://gyazo.com/5d113a9d7de7607c1ce8da930a34c20c . Maybe realistic isnt the word to use but i love THAT look.  While ill agree that some bodies have some unrealistic proportions haha , im really just worried about the head. https://gyazo.com/664d7ecedb811acc3f644a1c5affe43f this is how i look currently. I cant really grasp what im missing or what im doing wrong. Ill try and see if i can SS more pics when i see em. How do people get their heads to be so still also ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I find that a lot avatars have skimped on hip and arm length

I find this with the arm length too.  I'd say most avi's need longer arms.  Look in the mirror at your body too to get some ideas of where your arms fall, hold your arms straight down and look in a mirror.  I look in the mirror at my own body at times to help find more realistic proportions such as where the mouth falls on the face.  Some shapes push the mouth up way too high to give it that "doll" look.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BbyMuvaht said:

hey guys , thank you for all of your comments . I tried to find a gyazo of some shots i took of people whom i thought were beautiful asf but cant seem to find them. Here is one my sis took of someone and i was just in awe https://gyazo.com/5d113a9d7de7607c1ce8da930a34c20c . Maybe realistic isnt the word to use but i love THAT look.  While ill agree that some bodies have some unrealistic proportions haha , im really just worried about the head. https://gyazo.com/664d7ecedb811acc3f644a1c5affe43f this is how i look currently. I cant really grasp what im missing or what im doing wrong. Ill try and see if i can SS more pics when i see em. How do people get their heads to be so still also ? 

I only had a minute to look but I noticed in the second photo, imo, you have too much lower lip.  When I want to change an area, I do it gradually though say in steps of minus 3 to 4 or plus 3 to 4 because sometimes a little tweek is all that is needed.  Don't over exaggerate your alterations is what I'm saying.  

• Like 1

You can keep your head still by stopping all the animations on the animation hud.  I think the face you have already is lovely, by the way, but if you want to look more like the other pic, a couple of differences jump out at me straight away.

You currently have your lower lip much thicker than your top lip, while in the other pic, her lips are about equal. There's a slider for lip ratio. She has the mouth corners turned down further than yours.

Your current eye shape is not as wide-open as the other one. You can increase eye opening slider or a very slight increase on "eye bags". Maybe also reduce upper eyelid fold, if its not already at zero.

The overall head-shape is different too, I think the other girl has fuller cheeks and an overall shorter (top-to-bottom) head shape than yours. Your face is stronger and more "grown-up" whereas the other one looks more child-like. 

Can't help with the cow spots and ears though... what is this current trend for people to be... what would they be? The cow equivalent of a neko? Ushi?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BbyMuvaht said:

https://gyazo.com/5d113a9d7de7607c1ce8da930a34c20c . Maybe realistic isnt the word to use but i love THAT look. 

That's cute, definitely not realistic at all but the good thing with SL is that you don't need to have a realistic avatar all you need to have is fun and a good time.

Since you already have the proper tools (mesh head/body) you ll have to work on your shape and soon you ll be able to make it look very realistic.

Heres a photo of an old friend.

49943079352_f63019afcb_k.thumb.jpg.236534ad17925033fe94c70ac57abb5e.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you for the pictures. Some of the differences I see: The width on the bridge of her nose is much wider. Her nose is turned up, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's using a BOM face detail accentuates the roundness at the tip. Inner eye is turned down, and her outer eye is slightly turned up as well.Eye spacing is very close together. Her cheekbones appear to be lower than yours. If you are looking to get that head shape adjust the egg head slider and then add/subtract length from the bottom of the face with chin depth. See how her human ears are fairly low down on the side of her head? I caution people from going too ham with egg head because it can often lead to glitches where rigged hair does not fit properly. It's fun to experiment though.

As for how to keep still.  Generally speaking, I prefer using bento static poses with little or very subtle movement in the hands and breathing. It definitely makes it easier to look at your avatar, but also keeps your clothing from breaking from crazy poses.

Edited by Laurel Aurelia
I don't spell good.
  • Like 1

I don't think you should change, your bigger lower lip is one of the things that makes you stand out in the crowd. Using just the same numbers for upper and lower lip is too perfect, small differences is what nature is all about. You can take in the lip a tiny bit, but I love that it is bigger.

I think you look more "real" than the other picture. That is more a fantasy avatar for me. But you can take a copy of your head and see if you can get that other look. I am not sure if you can make the chin so pointy. Use a paler skin and much larger lashes, you should be closer to that look...

I think Bossie has the cow spot tattoo, it has 2 faces and one of them look very much the same.

Search .miraleen flickr to find her Flickr. Or go to Marketplace. She has that "look" you want. You can send her a message and ask what kind of skin she is using, if you find something you like.

I do not link direct to Flickr because it is a bit NSFW... Nothing gross.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

The New Me!

Which is more realistic, the picture above or this:

guns.jpg.47500180f90affa9bd1464696fb053d0.jpg

Few people in Second Life go for realism.  Perhaps you should go for beauty instead of realism.  That way, you would be OK with yourself if you change all the time.  If you want others to see what you see, then compose yourself using the shared environment.  If you like dark skin, then you definitely need a facelight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

thank you all for your help ❤️ i appreciate it greatly! ^ your comment made me LOL haha . I guess i will keep her and just play around with the sliders, see if i can achieve anything :)  I also have those spots already , they were by bossie :) im fairly new to SL so im learning as i go . Its sad that some people inworld dont like to help , ive encountered some very cocky, uptight people smh. So i honestly am grateful you guys gave me some advice / info ❤️ oooo also, do you guys prefer the Nuri head or the Nova head ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

That skin looks "real" to you because the ad is a morph. The face in the picture is a real photgraph. Do not buy anything that is advertised with a morph without demo-ing the hell out of it. 

Oh, thanks.  I thought it looked too realistic too be true.  I don't have a Genus head yet but when I do get one, I am definitely going to try the skin to see how realistic it looks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BbyMuvaht said:

thank you all for your help ❤️ i appreciate it greatly! ^ your comment made me LOL haha . I guess i will keep her and just play around with the sliders, see if i can achieve anything :)  I also have those spots already , they were by bossie :) im fairly new to SL so im learning as i go . Its sad that some people inworld dont like to help , ive encountered some very cocky, uptight people smh. So i honestly am grateful you guys gave me some advice / info ❤️ oooo also, do you guys prefer the Nuri head or the Nova head ? 

I prefer Nuri, especially if you're after a look which is a bit different than everyone else out there.

I have all of Lelutka's Evo heads. My favorite right now is Lake with Nuri a close 2nd.

I also really like Genus Strong but haven't used it in quite some time.

• Like 1

My biggest question is how everyone controls the background lighting, and achieves such realistic textures. I have Maitreya with the Bento Rebel head, and it looks OK, but I want better. And maybe I need a new skin. I attached a quick shot that use for my outfit folder so everyone has an idea.

Pearl legs5_001.jpg

56 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

My biggest question is how everyone controls the background lighting, and achieves such realistic textures. I have Maitreya with the Bento Rebel head, and it looks OK, but I want better. And maybe I need a new skin. I attached a quick shot that use for my outfit folder so everyone has an idea.

Depending on the viewer you're using, you can try flipping through windlights in Firestorm or EEP in the offical viewer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, FairreLilette said:

It's about shape and proportion but a lot of the shapes you can buy have the "balloon" giant hips kind of shape for the body so that's frustrating.  

You mentioned you got a Genus head, I think Avenge have some very realistic looking skins (the pic below is for Genus).  You may want to go through them.    

If you like a skin and the shape looks realistic drop a notecard to the creator and ask if they might sell you the shape.  

I think this skin below is for the Strong Face, but it looks real to me...much less "doll" looking.   I believe she put a photo of real hair on this picture with Photoshop though.  As far as hair, it's tough to get a realistic hair.  I'd go with Magika as the best too as far as her newer line.

Genus_Kara_demo.jpg

smh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.