Disheartened by rip happy "friend"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am annoyed right now I don't know where to start, I have a (lets call it a) "friend" who has little imagination of their own.

They have expensive scanning huds that rip whole lists of what people are wearing, Which I think in it's self isn't wrong but they gone as far to tell me they combine this with "tools" which allow them to take a persons skin or shape effectively cloning them so long as they can physically see this person!

Last week they invited me round to their skybox without thinking I accept wearing an relatively new expensive skin, I see them working on an avatar right in front of me told me and I am paraphrasing "I really like your skin, I am going to take it" and in front of me it appeared on them, they make some excuse as to why they took it. I know it was really taken from some creator but it felt like a betrayal, why did I spend my money and time like hours making this look so this 'friend' could literally steal it off my back?

This person as set themselves up to be the center of a clique, people like them, no one can see though this veneer, I don't know if they openly did it to me because I had grown close to them and they took me for granted but they also more or less admitted they are scanning every person they run into.

I don't really know but is there anything that can be done ? should I confront them about it ? or just ignore it and hope karma catches upto them, suggestions?

Maybe back to wearing my substandard basic looking stuff, seems to be the only way I'm not getting my stuff cloned.

5 answers to this question

Alright so this is a mix things.

Firstly, when you say they have a scanning hud, that sounds like a lie they used to make it sound less devious. What they are likely using are what is known as a copybot viewer. Copybot viewers are prohibited as stated in the Terms of Service.

Secondly, the whole ripping of the skin you are using is a mixed bag. Yes, what they did was theft. They stole from the creator, and in a sense, you as well. When I say they stole from you, I mean in the sense like: You payed for the privilege to have a fancy expensive painting and they went to your house and scanned it, and they didn't even bother to ask you(not that asking you would make it any difference, it is still stealing from the creator).
While I understand some may be upset that others see a item someone is using and they want that item, there isn't really anything wrong with that as long as they buy it like everyone else. It doesn't belong to the wearer(unless said wearer made it), so they really do not have a say in who does and does not get to use it. I personally like sharing information on what I am wearing as I like to support people who made the stuff I use, as it allows them to make more cool stuff in the future. If it is someone's entire look(i.e. not just a dress/hair/skin/etc, but instead the everything combined, provided it isn't very basic or stock), I would see it differently and rude. However sometimes that is done unintentionally.

Finally, as for if there is anything that can be done, you have the following options:

1. You can file an abuse report. This will inform Linden Lab, especially if you quote the specific lines where they said they were going to rip content. However Linden Lab will not be able to take action immediately, as they will definitely have to investigate. Every issue is investigated, contrary to what some people say. The friend will not be informed about being reported, all reports are kept confidential.
  2. You can confront them. However I advise against this if you really like this friend. People who copybot stuff tend to be quite... peculiar. As in, they feel it is their divine right to copybot stuff, and will get aggressive when you confront them about it being wrong. By aggressive, I don't mean physically, but verbally. This will likely result in the ending of your friendship.
  3. You can do nothing. While I recommend against this, karma will eventually catch up, they'll get too greedy, copybot something right in front of a Linden's main account or get reported by someone else, and get banned.
Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 493640261 said:

I am annoyed right now...................

just take it as no copybot issue first ( it doesn't have to be)... the use of huds to see what somebody wears are very common. It is totally possible the person scanned you and bought the items on MP. In that case there's is nothing wrong with it. If you like it or not isn't making it a breach of TOS or other rules.
If you talked about your skin and other items, it's possible you yourself gave all the hints what to buy; skins, clothes, bodies, shapes are for sale for everybody, you don't have exclusive rights on it, unless self made and no copy/mod/trans.

• Like 1

The "What Is She Wearing" and similar HUDs (not expensive, and often free!) only give a list of the attachments someone is wearing.  From that list, it's easy to look up the creator, and then go buy the same thing (assuming it's still being offered for sale).  These scanners cannot give information on skin, or any clothing layer items.

You can even do this manually.  Right click someone's attachment and choose Object Profile, or Inspect.

This is not wrong, and not against the Terms of Service.

BUT!

There is another tool called "copybot".  This function is found in some illegal third party viewers.  Copybot doesn't identify the maker of an item, it actually copies it.  It can copy attachments, textures...anything, in fact, except for scripts.  The use of copybot viewers to get around the Permissions system is DEFINITELY against the Terms of Service, and it's also a violation of a Real Life law, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).  The use of copybot is one very good way to get permanently banned from SL.  From your description, it sounds like this is what you encountered.

I recommend that you submit an Abuse Report on your "friend".

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

also a violation of a Real Life law, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Well.. DMCA is just for the people in the U.S. Each country has it's own Laws, in accordance of course to WIPO guidelines. (World Intellectual Property Organization)

(** and there are also a few that don't even give a single f*ck..The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Russia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore)

Copybot clients used to be widely spread back in the days until if i remember well 2010 or 11 a huge amount of SL Accounts (thousands) were banned due to having unauthorized copies of  items in their inventory..

I wouldn't suggest her to report her "friend" for 1 and only reason and that is that he/she (whatever they really are) is fool enough to trust her and show her what they can do (if indeed using a Copybot client). Eventually after the ban they will be back with a new account and will do exactly the same... so... never mind just move on, not worth dealing with it.

Edited by Nick0678

On 7/6/2020 at 1:23 AM, 493640261 said:

Last week they invited me round to their skybox without thinking I accept wearing an relatively new expensive skin, I see them working on an avatar right in front of me told me and I am paraphrasing "I really like your skin, I am going to take it" and in front of me it appeared on them, they make some excuse as to why they took it. I know it was really taken from some creator but it felt like a betrayal, why did I spend my money and time like hours making this look so this 'friend' could literally steal it off my back?

Maybe back to wearing my substandard basic looking stuff, seems to be the only way I'm not getting my stuff cloned.

Report it to the maker of the skin so they can file a formal complaint and have the copy removed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1360 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.