My own gear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Got my own gear with me and hooked up to my PC but no idea how to broadcast it besides Skyping it lol. Looked into Shotcast and didnt seem to be what I am looking for. SAMBROADCASTER too expisieve for me now to buy. I can jam the tunes via microphone in a voice chat but eh I duno. 

Could use the help to figure this one out.

Shoutcast is exactly what you need. Although, there is another software called B.U.T.T.  - I run through a Mackie(for EQ, Mix, and Effects) mixer and then into the PC from there, Shoutcast will send it up. You need to rent a stream inworld, if you plan on performing -- thats generally the best practice although some venues will provide a stream. Bones Writer has them available at Trax (inworld) for about 1000L per month

Hello dalocogamer! I use Edcast Standalone (although Winamp+ Shoutast is equally good) and have been doing live music shows in SL for 5 years now. My setup comprises of various instruments, rack synths, FX and microphone routed through a mixing desk. I take 2 output feeds from the mixing desk: one to the studio monitors and the other to the audio input of my computer. It's a very simple setup and one that doesn't place much of a load on my computer. The computer I use for encoding my stream with Edcast also runs Cubase 5 and SL Viewer 2.x at the same time without glitching.

If you use musical instruments, turntable decks, tape decks, hardware CD players and microphone your best bet would be to patch them all through a small external mixing desk and then into your computer. However if your setup is software based (eg: Traktor if you're a DJ, Cubase, Reaper, Sonar, Logic, etc., if you're a musician) then you'll need to look at some sort of software mixing / patchbay solution.

I never found a suitable software patchbay solution and have to resort to a kludge where the output from Cubase 5 [backing tracks] is fed out through one soundcard (MOTU 828 MkII) into the mixing desk where it is combined with my live playing before being fed back into my computer for encoding with Edcast. In my experience there is no such thing as a standard setup. Everyone I know in RL who streams music into SL has a slightly different setup depending on what they do and their studio setup.

Having played shows since Jan 2006 in SL, I have found that the simplest way of streaming is winamp + the Shoutcast plug in. I find that running winamp the same time as SL doesn't use up too many resources If you'd like to contact me inworld, please do so and I will send you a notecard using images etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

If the dj tools/software you're using supports shoutcast then your're good to go,

The shoutcast listener/stream url will allways work in sl.

You could check out Mixxx http://www.mixxx.org/ it's free dj software and supports shoutcasta also.

There's another litle tool called M3W it's stand alone unlike winamp where you have to run winamp to run the shoutcast dsp plugin.

It basically listens to your soundcard for any audio, same as if you were using the soundcard option in the shoutcast dsp.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.