Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
carolion1989

where to start

Recommended Posts

 

hi, 

 

so ive spend the last week on SL and it was a bit of a battle to understand the basics, but I finally got my avatar looking better, i get how to decorate my house etc. 

i am struggling though in how to make friends/where to go. i know theres a few newbie spots and chat friendly locations but i've not had much luck. 

any tips eg any specific locations you can recommend on where i could go? 

and if youre willing to be a guide/friend/someone i can chat to, please hit me up because theres so many things i feel are not that easy to get when you first start off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be an extrovert , think of what you like doing in RL and find something similar in SL.. that's the easiest way to make "friends" because you will meet people who have same interests as you. Otherwise you could try  clubs, communities, beaches, hangouts, places like that and chances are you will get to talk to some people.

If you don't care about clubs etc, find a Roleplay sim that you like and join. The more you interact the more people you meet just like in RL and some will eventually be compatible.

You could also try contacting the other fellows here in this forum who are also looking for friends.Who knows maybe you fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my biggest piece of advice is to join groups! Think about your specific interests in SL, and I am sure there are groups that cater specifically to that. As a person who deals with a fair bit of anxiety, I appreciate that I don't always have to participate in conversations, but there is always opportunity to do so if I choose. It does require a bit of effort to forge friendships just like in the real world, but stick with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I think my biggest piece of advice is to join groups! Think about your specific interests in SL, and I am sure there are groups that cater specifically to that. As a person who deals with a fair bit of anxiety, I appreciate that I don't always have to participate in conversations, but there is always opportunity to do so if I choose. It does require a bit of effort to forge friendships just like in the real world, but stick with it.

This is good advice. I think I get easily overwhelmed and I am guessing theres a thousand and one groups? Or is there an easy way to see what kind of groups exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

where to start? simple really at point A then you move to point B and then maybe to C and pass by D while getting around back to A again. :P

but.....but.....i have no sense of direction at all. 

tenor.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, carolion1989 said:

This is good advice. I think I get easily overwhelmed and I am guessing theres a thousand and one groups? Or is there an easy way to see what kind of groups exist?

There is!  Use Search, while logged in world (CTRL+F, or the button with a magnifying glass symbol).  You can Search for Places, Events, People, Classified Ads, or, in this case...Groups.  Just enter a search word or phrase.  For example, you can look for groups focused on learning scripting, or dark urban roleplay, or vampires, or learning a new language, or getting together to discuss religion, or...you name it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@carolion1989 You mentioned that you have been decorating your home. Do you happen to have one of the new Linden homes? If so, I know there are a couple of groups that residents have started to share events going on in the community, everyone has always seemed very warm and lovely.  To be honest I don't know if I have ever gone to search for groups out right. I know there is a functionality in the viewer to do it , but I don't think its very easy to use which is a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

@carolion1989 You mentioned that you have been decorating your home. Do you happen to have one of the new Linden homes? If so, I know there are a couple of groups that residents have started to share events going on in the community, everyone has always seemed very warm and lovely.  To be honest I don't know if I have ever gone to search for groups out right. I know there is a functionality in the viewer to do it , but I don't think its very easy to use which is a shame.

I do, I got one cause I went premium straight away? Is it the residents in your neighbourhood or are they just groups that people started to talk about decorating etc? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belliseria Citizens is for the whole new continent.  Also check out the Linden Homes forum.  There are a few events coming up at the Fairgrounds.

Try walking around Bellie and seeing if folks are friendly enough to talk to you.

NCI and The Shelter are good places for new folks.

Contact people from the forums, strike up a conversation.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Belliseria Citizens is for the whole new continent.  Also check out the Linden Homes forum.  There are a few events coming up at the Fairgrounds.

Try walking around Bellie and seeing if folks are friendly enough to talk to you.

NCI and The Shelter are good places for new folks.

Contact people from the forums, strike up a conversation.

 

Oooh this is super helpful. Thank you so much 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@carolion1989 Bellisseria Citizens is for the entire continent where the new Linden homes are located. It seems pretty active so worth a look. Also have a look at the events listed on the main page too. A lot of it might not interest you, but sometimes there are fun gems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, carolion1989 said:

but.....but.....i have no sense of direction at all. 

tenor.gif

*hands a map over and points to a spot on it* you start here.. then you go that way.. *points a direction on the map* where you end up is unknown and sometimes the fun part of the journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 6:42 PM, carolion1989 said:

I do, I got one cause I went premium straight away? Is it the residents in your neighbourhood or are they just groups that people started to talk about decorating etc? 

OOH welcome to Belli! Do a search for Bellisseria Events group and join that, as well as the B. Citizens group. There's a lot of regular events happening around Belli; my favourites are the Belli Blues Cafe (Mondays) and Far's houseboat parties (Fridays) but there are loads more too. Plus, anything and everything that happens in the Fairgrounds which is kind of of the central event space for Bellisseria. There's something going on there usually at least once a month.  Belli people are lovely and friendly and even though I don't live there any more I can't keep away from the parties; I made so many lovely friends there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

OOH welcome to Belli! Do a search for Bellisseria Events group and join that, as well as the B. Citizens group. There's a lot of regular events happening around Belli; my favourites are the Belli Blues Cafe (Mondays) and Far's houseboat parties (Fridays) but there are loads more too. Plus, anything and everything that happens in the Fairgrounds which is kind of of the central event space for Bellisseria. There's something going on there usually at least once a month.  Belli people are lovely and friendly and even though I don't live there any more I can't keep away from the parties; I made so many lovely friends there.

This is also super helpful thank you so much. I've joined some groups now. And also things like the cafe is so good to know I didnt even think of looking for it under its nickname Belli 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2020 at 7:48 PM, carolion1989 said:

 

hi, 

 

so ive spend the last week on SL and it was a bit of a battle to understand the basics, but I finally got my avatar looking better, i get how to decorate my house etc. 

i am struggling though in how to make friends/where to go. i know theres a few newbie spots and chat friendly locations but i've not had much luck. 

any tips eg any specific locations you can recommend on where i could go? 

and if youre willing to be a guide/friend/someone i can chat to, please hit me up because theres so many things i feel are not that easy to get when you first start off. 

Hiya! Welcome to SL! You can always go to chat hotspots  in destinations tab. There are a lot of people in those Sims and I am sure you will find people you vibe with. Also, one of my favourite places to meet new people is burrow coffee and whiskey co. Check out that place too!! And if you ever have any queries, feel free to IM me inworld (shiviex resident) <33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...