Genus is back!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Then, when Genus is "Back Again" will you create a new post "Genus is Back Again"?  

Hey, this could go on forever! 

Cool beans.

It's not like I started a new thread ffs. What is your issue with sharing a comment that is on topic in a thread? Just don't read the darn thread if relevant info is so offensive.

Sheesh. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's not like I started a new thread ffs. What is your issue with sharing a comment that is on topic in a thread? Just don't read the darn thread if relevant info is so offensive.

Sheesh. 

But you said you DID start a "new post" (meaning a new thread).  Now my post and your response are on a different page so I can't quote it again.  

*offers a chill pill*

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But you said you DID start a "new post" (meaning a new thread).  Now my post and your response are on a different page so I can't quote it again.  

*offers a chill pill*

We apparently are not using "post" in the same way, but the point is... why are you hassling me about passing along this news and nitpicking my words? Is what I said in this thread not as relevant as, say, randomly adding cartoon lions?

Please take your own chill pill and stop derailing the thread. I won't be responding to any further off-topic comments as I don't want to see this one locked too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Huh? ... Weird how this kind of thread can cause kerfuffles, but whatevs. I do belong to the group and yet still did not see the notice of the new complaint, so I am glad to read about it wherever I can get the info. It allows me to check into news on my own.

You know the obnoxious spammer guy who was calling a halt to these forums recently, by doing it over and over again using different names? To have the company get another complaint right on the heels of settling one complaint strikes me as being a similar kind of harassment. I hope they can get to the bottom of it soon, for their sakes, and because I'm not terribly altruistic, for my sake as well since I have a Genus head that I love and I would hate to see all the creators dump it because of all of this.

Edited by Seicher Rae
adding words to make sense

The thing I don't understand it why all their products have to come off the shelf.. I mean unless there is a claim on all of them ,I guess..

All this taking down and retaking down will I hope, have more people take action with the first complaint, just to send a message to the ones using it as a troll mechanic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The thing I don't understand it why all their products have to come off the shelf.. I mean unless there is a claim on all of them ,I guess..

All this taking down and retaking down will I hope, have more people take action with the first complaint, just to send a message to the ones using it as a troll mechanic.

Yeah, I don't really know how the whole dmca thing works. Why they have to take what down, and when or when and to whom the complainant has to be disclosed. It seems horrible that it can even go a day after it is official and the target company can't even know who is filing against them! I don't know anything about the case, and hate to speculate, but... as it is playing out so far it seems purely malicious, else why would the first attempt have been dropped?

We've seen here on the forums what one nutter with a grudge can do if he puts his mind to it. I hope for Genus's sake they aren't dealing with someone with the same mindset, and if they are that they can get some restitution.

I have a theory that becoming an US legislator causes irreparable brain damage.  The DMCA is about as brain-damaged a piece of legislation as it is possible to write.

I have another theory, but I'm far less sure of this one: 'Zhaoying' is 'Stiring it' in some language. As in: Love Stiring it. Me too!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I have a theory that becoming an US legislator causes irreparable brain damage.  The DMCA is about as brain-damaged a piece of legislation as it is possible to write.

I have another theory, but I'm far less sure of this one: 'Zhaoying' is 'Stiring it' in some language. As in: Love Stiring it. Me too!

*stirring maybe? Just checking.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

What's the reason this time?

I believe the time limit ran out on the one that made the complaint..

It's possible it's the same person just making a complaint again..

Basically,they could be getting trolled..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

I would be taking the complainant to court and including lost revenue from the runaround they caused in the lawsuit.

This business of "we don't know who filed the DMCA" doesn't make sense to me.

Is that possibly because Genus never filed a counter claim and only engaged with LL?

Without knowing any answers it seems like this is all just abuse that LL should have some means of deterring, else anyone afraid of competition can screw over anyone that is perceived as a threat with no observed penalty for filing false and/or uncredible and/or unfounded accusations.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

7 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I would be taking the complainant to court and including lost revenue from the runaround they caused in the lawsuit.

This business of "we don't know who filed the DMCA" doesn't make sense to me.

Is that possibly because Genus never filed a counter claim and only engaged with LL?

Without knowing any answers it seems like this is all just abuse that LL should have some means of deterring, else anyone afraid of competition can screw over anyone that is perceived as a threat with no observed penalty for filing false and/or uncredible and/or unfounded accusations.

That is not how it works. Genus or any other store that has a DMCA filed against them, must file a DMCA counter notice. The service provider (Linden Lab) informs the one that filed the DMCA that Genus is opposing their claim. If this person does not reply in (x days) the content is set up again. (I do not remember how long time it is)

I believe this is what happened here. Genus filed a counter notice, the person keep quiet, Linden Lab let Genus set up their products again. The same person, a friend of his/her or an alt files a new DMCA. Genus has to start over with a DMCA counter notice, and apparently the malicious person or persons can go on with this, until Genus drags them to court.

To do so, Genus need LL to give them the person or persons real life identity. I think this is hard to obtain. I do know that LL does not give that out easy.

But I am not a lawyer. The ONLY thing I am sure about, is that Genus could not set out their products again, unless they countered the DMCA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I believe this is what happened here. Genus filed a counter notice, the person keep quiet, Linden Lab let Genus set up their products again. The same person, a friend of his/her or an alt files a new DMCA. Genus has to start over with a DMCA counter notice, and apparently the malicious person or persons can go on with this, until Genus drags them to court.

Whenever anyone files a DMCA, the RL identity of the IP owner/holder should be the one that is allowed/verified to make such a claim, not an army of alts/randos/unknowns, not "corporate representatives" which could be cycled all the way down to Bob the Janitor.

If not, this is clearly an obvious abuse vector that LL should be liable for as well.

Repeatedly "keeping quiet" and refiling should come with some kind of penalty.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

5 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Whenever anyone files a DMCA, the RL identity of the IP owner/holder should be the one that is allowed/verified to make such a claim, not an army of alts/randos/unknowns, not "corporate representatives" which could be cycled all the way down to Bob the Janitor.

If not, this is clearly an obvious abuse vector that LL should be liable for as well.

Repeatedly "keeping quiet" and refiling should come with some kind of penalty.

What should be is often not how the law works.... I agree totally with you, but the law in USA and DMCA law sounds like a total F*** up for an innocent original creator. It is like the DMCA filer is always right. My impression. I cheer on Genus, so I am biased.

• Like 1

Yes there is indeed a way to force disclosure and it is the way that the designers are following - go to court. The legal teams will get all the info.

It is also expensive which is why most people just roll over and play dead when a rogue DMCA is served as the "appeals" process is stacked against you.

Edited by Rowdy Rover

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Or is this law really a crock of skunk poo?

Yes.

I suppose dmca.com is the official website associated to that bogus - mentioned in their FAQ, they address this "service":

Once you submit a complete list we can provide excellent pricing prior to commencing work.
DMCA .com has two Enterprise Takedown services. Each of DMCA.com's takedown services can provide an unlimited number of takedowns and both have special Enterprise pricing for multiple Takedowns.

1. DMCA.com's Professional Takedown services. We do all the work for you, all you need to do is fill out our simple Takedown form. Takes less than 3 minutes. In order to get the best pricing please make certain to provide a complete list of all infringing urls. Be as specific as possible, when you sign up. Click here to get started: https://www.dmca.com/takedown/signup/
    2. DMCA.com's Do it yourself Takedown Service. We provide all the tools the professionals use and you spend the time researching and processing the Takedown Application.https://www.dmca.com/Toolkit/signup/

I always thought that there is so much wrong about the DMCA principles with little about justice, but so much more of crying Wolf and allowing abuse... but this "hey, we even offer a two services for $$$" is a new low. 😶

EDIT: Sorry, not just one service.

Edited by Lillith Hapmouche

I think this is just a crock of crap.  Someone is out to get Genus for one reason or another.  One DMCA is enough, but another just days later is just obscene, and smells of a concerted effort to take Genus out for good.  I am rooting for Genus and I hope the a holes are exposed.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2020 at 9:54 PM, Marianne Little said:

To do so, Genus need LL to give them the person or persons real life identity. I think this is hard to obtain. I do know that LL does not give that out easy.

That's unusual. Linden Lab has to know; any DMCA takedown request that doesn't identify the party claiming to own the intellectual property can be discarded. Google sends all their DMCA takedown requests to a group at Stanford University, which puts them in a public database.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.