Why would anyone prefer long hair rigged with the outdated skeleton?

MelodicRain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Long hair that are rigged with the outdated "rigged mesh" skeleton (or they could be using the updated skeleton but is simply ignoring the extra joints) is pretty much static, and either has a huge gap near your chest or clips right through them. When you walk if you have ANY kind of boob physics enabled it'll look absolutely terrible, like you're wearing a wig made of clay. So why would anyone prefer these over fitted ones? There are apparently still a lot of "mainstream" stores simply refusing to rig their hair with the updated fitted skeleton for some bizarre reason, which is a shame cause the actual hair doesn't look that bad. Is this just another case of people refusing to adapt (like IE users refusing to try Chrome/Firefox) or is there something that the outdated rigged mesh skeleton actually does better than the updated one?

Edited by MelodicRain
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MelodicRain said:

or is there something that the outdated rigged mesh skeleton actually does better than the updated one?

I dunno but I do know this.  I have mostly avoided long hair in the front if the demo looks weird or bad, doesn't fall naturally,  I just don't buy it.  Also I won't buy it if it looks totally unnatural.  Many of the shorter styles tend to look less "clay like".  I loved flexi hair but avoided long hair for the reason that it moved through the body way too much.  In my humble opinion, there are very few hair makers that I trust and like, can count them on one hand.  I do think that perhaps making long hair look good is not only a skill, but a huge challenge given what there is to work with.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MelodicRain said:

Long hair that are rigged with the outdated "rigged mesh" skeleton (or they could be using the updated skeleton but is simply ignoring the extra joints) is pretty much static, and either has a huge gap near your chest or clips right through them. When you walk if you have ANY kind of boob physics enabled it'll look absolutely terrible, like you're wearing a wig made of clay. So why would anyone prefer these over fitted ones? There are apparently still a lot of "mainstream" stores simply refusing to rig their hair with the updated fitted skeleton for some bizarre reason, which is a shame cause the actual hair doesn't look that bad. Is this just another case of people refusing to adapt (like IE users refusing to try Chrome/Firefox) or is there something that the outdated rigged mesh skeleton actually does better than the updated one?

Rigging hair to the bust collision bones isn't reliable because different body makers make their bust react differently to the sliders. The same hair may clip through Belleza Freya breasts and float far over Tonic Fine breasts at the same setting. It might work if the hair makers specified a body or included different models, but even if they did they'd still have to deal with thickness of clothes over the breasts as well.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

Rigging hair to the bust collision bones isn't reliable because different body makers make their bust react differently to the sliders. The same hair may clip through Belleza Freya breasts and float far over Tonic Fine breasts at the same setting. It might work if the hair makers specified a body or included different models, but even if they did they'd still have to deal with thickness of clothes over the breasts as well.

That's true but imo at least it'll look 10x better than long hair where the strands are completely static and clip right through. You'll have a tiny bit of a gap (so far I haven't experienced any clipping as long as your boobs aren't size 100) with most hair but it's virtually not noticeable unless you zoom in from the side.

Bento is not what people use to rig things to the body sliders. That's a much older (relatively speaking) Fitted Mesh feature.

2013: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rigging_Fitted_Mesh

2015: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/BentoSkeletonGuide

P.S. 2020 is making me feel older and older...

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.