FruityRituals

Getting started in RP (Newbie)

Hey there,

lately I have discovered that SL hosts a couple of RPs. I tried getting started (in Crossroads f.ex.), but I do not really know how. Nobody reacted in any way to me so far, and I don't want to randomly go up to a person and start a RP, since I do not know enough about the environment and the story that is going on. So I am wondering, how do you successfully start roleplaying in SL?

Join the group for the rp and talk in the group. Get to know some of the other members of the rp. Most groups allow questions about the RP. What its about, whats happening, what happened and how and why and etc. Just be careful how you use that ooc given information when you RP ic. You dont want to metagame or godmod.

Learn some of the basics about rp.. how to enter a scene etc. Just appearing out of no where mid scene and trying to jump in can be disruptive and disrespectful of the other other players.

Ask in IM if they mind if you join. Sometimes some RP's are just between the two doing it and they dont always want a third.

Create a pick in your profile that gives a little character reference to who you would be and what role you wish to fill in the RP.

Being the outsider looking in can be intimidating yes, but if you take a little time to do some learning beforehand and get to know the other people outside of the RP, you can get around a lot of that fear of doing something wrong.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Quite often a sim has some background history information that will help you to orientate yourself to the environment and think of a character that might 'fit' that environment.  Take a look at things like intra-sim groups and factions.  If you look at the group you will get some information about how active it is.   Additionally, many of the sims have an out of character (OOC) titler, or guest titler, which shows people you're just visiting.   It's a good idea to wander round, get a feel for the place, hang around and observe the ongoing public roleplay while wearing one of these tags.   Jump in with your character whenever you feel ready.   "Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, I'm looking for work, do you know anyone who's hiring?" kind of approach often works.     Some players may para rp, so you may not get a reply for a few minutes.   If in doubt, IM and if they don't respond, shame on them for not taking themselves out of play oocly.  Also ensure that  you give the other players something to respond to.  If you sit in the corner of a bar and only emote your thoughts or observations, you're unlikely to get a response.  Only the occasional character would have the skill to read your character's mind enough to be able to respond.  Your character needs to DO and SAY something for others to be affected by your presence.   Finally, (before I go on forever), see if the sim has any orientation events/classes/mentors etc that'll help you get acquainted.   Have fun!

Edited by Safar Fiertze

As a role-player, first thing you should do is seek out any information you can on the setting, usually a sim will have notecards in an OOC landing area of a website with all or most of the information you need. Once you have read up on the setting and you can make your avatar/player appear to fit in, perhaps try exploring/observing others until you are some what comfortable enough to either casually join in and introduce yourself, or IM a player or sim owner/operator with questions. Try to make sure they are questions that can not be easily answered by reading the before mentioned sources.