Buying L$ from Australia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am having trouble buying L$ with my PayPal account. I have funds in PP and I have a CC and bank account linked there as well. I am in Australia, so my PP works in AU$, and converts to overseas currency when needed.  I know that L$ are paid for in US$, but did I read right that we need to have the PP funds already as US$ before the transaction?  Shouldn't PP just do the conversion automatically during the transaction?

So, are there any Aussies here who are currently buying L$ without any problems - do you have to make your PP funds US$ before you purchase?

Edited by Xeraphon

9 hours ago, Xeraphon said:

I am having trouble buying L$ with my PayPal account. I have funds in PP and I have a CC and bank account linked there as well. I am in Australia (so my PP works in AU$, and converts to overseas currency when needed).  I know that L$ are paid in US$, and I read that we have to have the PP funds already as US$ before the transaction.  Is that right?  Shouldn't PP just do the conversion aromatically?

So, are there any Aussies here who are currently buying L$ without any problems - do you have to make your PP funds US$ before you purchase?

Well, if you haven't gotten answers and got it settled by Sat morning your time, LL Billing will still be available for you until late morning (assuming I've done my quickie time calcs correctly).

Billing support phone numbers
    Toll-Free (US/Canada): 800.294.1067
    Long-Distance: 703.286.6277  
Our Billing team is available from 9am to 6pm EST(6am to 3pm PST), Monday through Friday.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Xeraphon said:

I am having trouble buying L$ with my PayPal account. I have funds in PP and I have a CC and bank account linked there as well. I am in Australia, so my PP works in AU$, and converts to overseas currency when needed.  I know that L$ are paid for in US$, but did I read right that we need to have the PP funds already as US$ before the transaction?  Shouldn't PP just do the conversion automatically during the transaction?

There was recently a change for Australia and a northern European country (I forgot which one ). There was an official post on this likely by Grumpity Linden.  I remember because I sent a note to my landlord who seldom logs on because it would affect him.   So if you can find that post, it will likely give you some answers. Sorry I don't remember more.  It may well have been on the official blog.    

Australia and Norway recently got added to list of countries that Linden now have to charge VAT/GST

not sure if this affects L$ purchases. Might be that Australians and Norwegians have to agree to a new Linden/Tilia ToS before Linden/Tilia will do a process for you

dunno. Best to ask Support and see what they say you might have to do

the blog about the GST is here:

• Thanks 1

Geeze, Aussies can't seem to catch a break.  First they took away your guns, and now they're adding on a national sales tax.

I always thought you folks Down Under were independent cusses who'd tell busybodies where to go and what to do when they got there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

not sure if this affects L$ purchases. Might be that Australians and Norwegians have to agree to a new Linden/Tilia ToS before Linden/Tilia will do a process for you

That was the post I was thinking of.

Actually there was another recent post and now EVERYONE has to agree to Tillia when buying linden dollars , so that isn't THIS issue :D -- BUT to the OP, I do remember a comment about having to change to US currency before buying. The person (not sure what country) wasn't happy as it costs them more.       

On 7/4/2020 at 2:00 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Geeze, Aussies can't seem to catch a break.  First they took away your guns, and now they're adding on a national sales tax.

I always thought you folks Down Under were independent cusses who'd tell busybodies where to go and what to do when they got there.

Yup, we got away for a long time without paying gst on international ebay purchases and online games/services, but our govt finally cottoned on! Fortunately, our law says the price of goods must be quoted inclusive of 10% gst, so we still only pay US$99 membership, whereas I believe the poor Brits have 20% vat added on top, and some other European countries even more. 

On 7/3/2020 at 3:16 PM, Xeraphon said:

G'day Xeraphon,

I don't recall ever having to do this, whether purchasing Linden dollars via PayPal or credit/bank card. However, it's been my experience that it's to your advantage to convert the currency to US dollars in your PayPal wallet, because if you pick the right day, you'll get a better exchange rate at this end than the other way around. My suggestion would be to exchange a reasonable amount on a day when the exchange rate is favourable and leave it sitting in your wallet for when you need it. Cheers!

On 7/4/2020 at 1:30 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

On the plus side we get better refunds, extra warranties and can take our iPhone's and other products to any repairer not just the manufacturer. All this cause we are "independent cusses who'd tell busybodies where to go and what to do when they got there" 😛

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, Drayke Newall said:

On the plus side we get better refunds, extra warranties and can take our iPhone's and other products to any repairer not just the manufacturer. All this cause we are "independent cusses who'd tell busybodies where to go and what to do when they got there" 😛

Too right! 😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.