MP Policy Clarification : Keyword Spam

Skyler Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Wanted to get some clarification on what does and does not constitute Keyword Spam, primarily in regards to Gacha's.

Keyword spam is the use of words (such as brand names, item names, or other terms) that have nothing to do with the item listed so that the listing will appear in search results. Keyword spam is not allowed because it clutters the SL Marketplace and makes buying and selling more difficult.

The understanding I have from this is that terms unrelated to the exact item listed should not be used.

For example, if you were selling a pair of shoes that came from a gacha set that also included a hat and dress:

Valid: designer name, gacha set name, shoe, shoes,

Invalid: designer name, gacha set name, shoe, shoes, dress, hat,

Even though the full set includes a hat and dress, since you are not selling them as part of your listing, they should not be mentioned.

Another example, a numbered gacha set from 1-10 in which you are selling #7.

Valid: designer name, gacha set name, #7

Invalid: designer name, gacha set name, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10

Again, you are only selling #7, so the other items in the set should not be referred to.

Deleting keywords out that could be identifying, but there's another gacha reseller that I found who's definitely been abusing this. And want to make sure flagging the listing they haven't fixed will be valid. "#11,#4,#5,#8,#7,#9,#10,#11,#12,#13,#14,#17,UNCOMMON" Because they are listing every number type they are selling, and a few I believe they are not, it causes every item they have for sale for that item to pull up on the search results if you search for any of them. Thus cluttering the search results and making it harder to find what you are actually searching for.

Is my understanding of this policy correct? I don't want to be wrongly flagging or misinforming folk if this isn't actually the case.

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Skyler Pancake said:

Wanted to get some clarification on what does and does not constitute Keyword Spam, primarily in regards to Gacha's.

The understanding I have from this is that terms unrelated to the exact item listed should not be used.

For example, if you were selling a pair of shoes that came from a gacha set that also included a hat and dress:

Valid: designer name, gacha set name, shoe, shoes,

Invalid: designer name, gacha set name, shoe, shoes, dress, hat,

Even though the full set includes a hat and dress, since you are not selling them as part of your listing, they should not be mentioned.

Another example, a numbered gacha set from 1-10 in which you are selling #7.

Valid: designer name, gacha set name, #7

Invalid: designer name, gacha set name, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10

Again, you are only selling #7, so the other items in the set should not be referred to.

Deleting keywords out that could be identifying, but there's another gacha reseller that I found who's definitely been abusing this. And want to make sure flagging the listing they haven't fixed will be valid. "#11,#4,#5,#8,#7,#9,#10,#11,#12,#13,#14,#17,UNCOMMON" Because they are listing every number type they are selling, and a few I believe they are not, it causes every item they have for sale for that item to pull up on the search results if you search for any of them. Thus cluttering the search results and making it harder to find what you are actually searching for.

Is my understanding of this policy correct? I don't want to be wrongly flagging or misinforming folk if this isn't actually the case.

Looks like you have it right to me.  You only use words that pertain to the actual item that is being sold.  Anything extra is keyword spam.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skyler Pancake said:

Your understanding is correct -- flag away

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.