What is the recommended Bandwidth setting for a 10mb connection?

Charisse Aura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Hello Charisse. Maximum Bandwidth = download speed with simple words
The recommended setting is no higher of the max upload speed that your ISP provides to you. If you set it higher won't and can't increase the max upload bandwidth that your ISP provides to you. They are the ones capping your upload speed.

EDIT: Explaining a little more. My suggestion is to experiment to find the best value for your setup. If you increase it a lot, is possible to start to feel lag so it isn't something standard. Personally i have it to 500 although my internet connection is very fast.

It's been too long now and I can't find it but Torley commented on this issue several months ago.  Essentially he said that 500 was too low.  That number originated at a time when people had lower speeds and he said the default if I recall should be at least 1000.  Not 500. 

You'll have to experiment to find your best bandwidth setting.  A few things to remember.  You're ISP will never be able to supply you with the advertised speed at any consistancy........you should probably expect about 75-80% of that 10 mbps (7.5 to 8 mbps).  Linden Lab servers will never send more data to any group than the concurrency will allow (in other words if you have 1000 kbps set in your preferences and there is high concurrency on the grid, LL may send only 300 kbps to you).  Also the vast amount of data the servers send to all clients means unlimited bandwidth is impossible and the servers will have caps in place for that reason...........I don't know what that cap is (and I'm sure LL wants it that way) but my bet is that it's probably not more than 1500 kbps (1.5 mbps).  And finally one people tend to overlook..........your computer has to process all that data it recieves.  If your system can't keep up, you'll see a lot of slowing down (and probably will crash).

Set your bandwidth to something your ISP, LL's servers, and your system can handle.  With a 10 mbps connection and a reasonably high performing machine most people should be able to handle 1000 kbps with no problems.........even 1500.  But setting it above that is probably just spitting in the wind............you aren't likely to recieve it anyway.  If your computer gets swamps with data, you're killing performance.

@Peggy

In his Quick Tip, Torley said he never saw it go above about 1500kbs in the statistics bar.  What he does say as you increase it to watch for packet loss.   In the video he cranks it up to 10,000 but you can see he never gets above about 1500.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.