Would you pay 1k for one hairstyle?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 hours ago, Rocky Haystack said:

For the longest time, I'd been searching for a certain hairstyle that seems to be very rare in SL. I ended up finding one I liked but it brought my complexity to over 100k. Needless to say, I'm searching for a new hairstyle again... 

Lo and behold, I find another one I like. Not as much as the high-complexity one, but good enough. Come to find out, this particular hairstyle costs L$1,100. I looked at the others around it. They are all also in this range. This was particularly surprising to me, as the hairstyles this certain store put out in the past were not 1k.

There is a VIP group you can join for the low price of L$1,900, which would allow you to purchase their hairs for a hefty discount; however, I don't make a habit of wearing a different hairstyle every day of the week. So 1,900 on top of the 600-something for the discounted cost of the hair I want, would not be reasonable for someone like me. So my only option would be to buy the hair for 1,100. I'm having a hard time justifying the price however. Could I afford it? Of course. But it's the principle that's keeping me from forking over my money.

My question is... Is it unreasonable to find this price... unreasonable? I'm aware that creating for SL is hard work and all, but this doesn't seem like a good business model in the slightest. I would think they'd get more purchases in the long run with a more tactical price. 

TLDR: Am I being a Karen about an L$1,100 price tag for a hairstyle? Would you pay this much? Why or why not? 

I love hair, so probably not.  There are just too many from two stores alone I want right now.  I'm after really great textures right now and I found a store that offers fabulous textures as well as styles.   These textures are not so flat looking; they're marvelous.  

The texture would have to be tremendously great for me to consider the price above.  

I have bought two Fatpacks for a bit over that price, however.  But, there are fat packs you can get for half that price.   So, what does this seller have other than a hair style you like?  

With coronavirus, it's a time to be offering sales, not raising prices, imo.  Plus, people are getting used to BOM and other things which is another expense.  

Also, if Addam's and Blueberry had lower prices, I think they would make more money than they do now.  I shopped at Blueberry's half price sale recently.  If Addam's has a sale soon, I'll be buying lots!  I wait for sales on fatpacks because I don't like all the colors.  I am very color particular.  It needs to be a good color.  Not all Addam's and Blueberry's colors are great nor even good.  

I usually just buy them in the tones I know I will use.. A lot of times those other colors just take up inventory space and add the the count..

If I demo something and it's doesn't let me check out everything in the fatpack, I'm not getting the fatpack then.. Have to watch out for fatpacks that are loaded with a lot of pork fat just so they can look like it's a great buy..

10 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Would you buy an iPhone?

In my case, no, but in many cases it's just what the doctor ordered. Only you can judge your own spending habits and know if the choice was right for you :)

there is a guy at work that buys a new one every year or so..Always every new phone I see him get, within the first month or two he'll show me where he's cracked the screen ..

The one he is wanting now is like 1800.00..

The reason he shows me his phones when they get cracked is, not only that we are friends but most everyone else has Iphones where we have Samsung Androids..

I go to him..you know you're going to crack it right? He say's I know.. Then I show him mine every time he shows me his has been cracked.. Mine still has no cracks.. hehehe

he always without fail will sit on his phone.. hehehe

On 7/1/2020 at 10:38 AM, Rocky Haystack said:

Am I being a Karen about an L$1,100 price tag for a hairstyle? Would you pay this much? Why or why not? 

You are absolutely bein' a carin' about the price tag or you wouldn't have posted it. 🙃

(I feel so bad for all the people out there named Karen right now 😟 )

Yes, I will spend this much on a nice item that keeps complexity down. Comes with the added perk that not everybody has it! 😁

I would pay L$1k for a fatpack; I've paid more than that for fatpacks from Truth, but then again, I wear aaaalll the colours, even the crazy ones, and I only buy fatpacks.

If I was in the habit of wearing only one colour or one small range of colours (like only blondes), then no, I wouldn't pay L$1k even for a fatpack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
23 hours ago, Rocky Haystack said:

2) The hair is alpha-based. In my opinion, alpha-based hairs tend to look less realistic and more "flimsy," for lack of a better word. [...] But the quality doesn't seem up to par with non-alpha hairs

But what did she mean by this? 🤔

I wondered that myself.  I mean, what is "alpha-based hair"?  By making a point of mentioning alpha, is the OP suggesting that she likes hair with no alpha?  My mind does a nostalgic trip back to the helmet hair of 2007 -- almost pre -prim and certainly pre-flexi.  Back in those good ol' days, hair was definitely less flimsy, but I don't really remember it looking realistic. Or maybe my memory is playing tricks again.

1187796668_RoligLoon--early2007.jpg.aced0019487dcf6687d404f2808e2fea.jpg

Edited by Rolig Loon

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I had to look up what Karen meant because really I must be out of touch..

I found this..

I'm still kind of unclear on what exactly it means..

hehehe

t3ikgyxa0ms21.jpg

It started out as a stereotyped meme of b*tchy women who demand to speak to “the” manager.  Wikipedia has a pretty good definition:  Karen is a pejorative term used in the US and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", being an anti-vaxxer, or having a particular bob cut hairstyle. As of 2020, the term was increasingly being used as a general-purpose term of disapproval for middle-aged white women.

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

It started out as a stereotyped meme of b*tchy women who demand to speak to “the” manager.  Wikipedia has a pretty good definition:  Karen is a pejorative term used in the US and other English-speaking countries for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", being an anti-vaxxer, or having a particular bob cut hairstyle. As of 2020, the term was increasingly being used as a general-purpose term of disapproval for middle-aged white women.

They look like soccer moms hehehe

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Flexi-Hair?  

alpha hair is basicly thisMTS_TomoeKim-1560582-1a.thumb.jpg.14c07f657c24381ebc280516f1d09c94.jpg

(this is the sims 4 but its alpha based hair and I'll get hatemail if someone recognizes their favorite brand so.)

its LIKE old flexi hair, but its usually rigged/unrigged mesh. I agree it can look flimsy, but it also is sorta paper thin so it can often times not really fit the head well/only look good from certain angles and it can also mess with your eyebrows/makeup layer/eyelashes. so that explains why op is apprehensive of the price tag.

1 hour ago, Caroline Takeda said:

In Europe we call those:

Americans.

🙂 

Upper crust Americans would be more on target.  In America, we call them "the upper crusties".    I wonder if they are crunchy? lol

Edited by FairreLilette

18 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Flexi-Hair?  

19 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

But what did she mean by this? 🤔

I'm a guy. I think everyone was confused (and some upset) by my use of the term "Karen."

But anyway... Attached you'll see two photos. One is the alpha-based hair (the one I've been trying but on the fence about buying), and the other is a non-alpha-based hair (not sure what the term is for these). As you can see, if you're standing in front of something with an alpha, your hair will disappear. 

alpha.png

non alpha.png

On 7/1/2020 at 2:03 PM, Blaise Glendevon said:

I pay 1K for fatpacks of hair I like on a regular basis. This is not an extravagant price for a high-detail wearable like hair.  You won't be approaching Karen status until you bother the creator about the pricing, but you should probably consider how much work hair (texturing, sculpting, testing for various mesh heads, scripting) takes to make. 

OMFFG, I have spent soooo much on hair. And yeah, quite a few fatpacks in the range of $1000. If I came across one that I loved the color and style of, and especially if it fit well (most hairs don't for me), I would pay that without hesitating.

49 minutes ago, Rocky Haystack said:

I'm a guy. I think everyone was confused (and some upset) by my use of the term "Karen."

No, just another meme. 

49 minutes ago, Rocky Haystack said:

But anyway... Attached you'll see two photos. One is the alpha-based hair (the one I've been trying but on the fence about buying), and the other is a non-alpha-based hair (not sure what the term is for these). As you can see, if you're standing in front of something with an alpha, your hair will disappear. 

Both hairs you've shown are "alpha-based," or what we would call "alpha-blending."

You can tell they are both alpha-blending because both of them have partially transparent pixels in the texture. They fade out smoothly.

The other type would be called "alpha-masking." The difference is that alpha-masking textures can only have fully visible or fully hidden pixels in the texture. Hard, sharp edge. It can be used for hair but if you try to enable alpha-masking on traditional SL hair, you'll get pretty gross results.

The reason why one hair works and the other doesn't is mostly up to chance. The other "working" hair will have similar glitches. When or where is hard to determine because this is just a quirk of SL rendering (that is also common in other places). I won't explain it in detail since I'm tired and it benefits very little.

The creator of the second hair was smarter though, since they included a solid mesh piece for the main Volume of the hair, while the first one  glitches all the way to the skull.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

@Rocky Haystack It's hard to find hair that doesn't use any alpha at all.  It would look very much like a football helmet with a picture of hair painted on it.  That's why it has confused things quite a lot to refer to some mythical "alpha-based" hair.  Having said that, you can use alpha textures with alpha masking instead of alpha blending to avoid the conflict that you have observed.  If you're lucky and have hair you can modify, you can try setting the alpha mode to see how it works. It's done most effectively when a creator has use alpha blending on the outermost elements of the hair linkset and kept alpha blending for the others, because alpha masking can leave rather sharp cookie-cutter edges.  My own favorite hair is a shoulder-length blonde flexi hairdo that I bought many years ago and was able to modify the alpha modes on. Not only does it get around the alpha conflict issue, it flows beautifully in the breeze and as I move my head.  I have bought some very nice mesh hair more recently, but that flexi one is still the best I have.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.