Would you pay 1k for one hairstyle?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the longest time, I'd been searching for a certain hairstyle that seems to be very rare in SL. I ended up finding one I liked but it brought my complexity to over 100k. Needless to say, I'm searching for a new hairstyle again... 

Lo and behold, I find another one I like. Not as much as the high-complexity one, but good enough. Come to find out, this particular hairstyle costs L$1,100. I looked at the others around it. They are all also in this range. This was particularly surprising to me, as the hairstyles this certain store put out in the past were not 1k.

There is a VIP group you can join for the low price of L$1,900, which would allow you to purchase their hairs for a hefty discount; however, I don't make a habit of wearing a different hairstyle every day of the week. So 1,900 on top of the 600-something for the discounted cost of the hair I want, would not be reasonable for someone like me. So my only option would be to buy the hair for 1,100. I'm having a hard time justifying the price however. Could I afford it? Of course. But it's the principle that's keeping me from forking over my money.

My question is... Is it unreasonable to find this price... unreasonable? I'm aware that creating for SL is hard work and all, but this doesn't seem like a good business model in the slightest. I would think they'd get more purchases in the long run with a more tactical price. 

TLDR: Am I being a Karen about an L$1,100 price tag for a hairstyle? Would you pay this much? Why or why not? 

Edited by Rocky Haystack
  • Like 3

First of all you're not being a Karen about it. You're being a Rocky about it. God, I hate that effing term! Second, why is this something to write about? If you think it's too much then don't buy it. If it's something you really want, then splurge. It won't kill you and doesn't make you a damn so-called Karen. 

I pay 1K for fatpacks of hair I like on a regular basis. This is not an extravagant price for a high-detail wearable like hair.  You won't be approaching Karen status until you bother the creator about the pricing, but you should probably consider how much work hair (texturing, sculpting, testing for various mesh heads, scripting) takes to make. 

• Like 2

Hair does not have any intrinsic value.  It's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. The creator guesses, sets a price, and stands back to see what happens. If customers buy it, the creator must have guessed right.  The real question is whether you agree.  It's up to you.

My alt rather routinely buys the FP of just about every hair released by a certain creator, at L$1,000 a pop. So. Yeah?

I would, possibly, if it fulfilled a series of stringent criteria.

1) moddable

2) loads of color styles that I personally enjoy

3) perfect fit on my head

But for the average hair 500 or so is the most I'd pay. Usually I just buy single packs (mainly ombre ones) which are some 250 and don't like the others enough to pay more than double that for all the options.

I don't think I've ever paid more than L$200-300 for a hair. I buy from the various sales if I like the look of the style and the colour pallette I'd buy is included, though lately stores I've previously liked have been restricting their offerings to not include the colours I'd buy. I wouldn't fatpack on a hair, I've worn the same shade for about 10 years having every colour a brand offers would be a waste on me. That said one brand I like does a choose your own colour pallette with all their shades included to choose from and I always pick the same options to put in the custom HUD

Something is only ever worth what someone will pay for it, and even then it might only ever be worth it for that one person. If the item is exactly what you’re looking for, is it then worth it to you? Also, at that price you can be fairly sure you’re not going to run into many, if any, others wearing it too.

The only thing that would bother me, is to pay the L$1000 and then discover that seller then reduced it to L$300 a short time later :P 

Edited by Sister Nova
Clarification

I've read everyones' replies and realize now that 1k isn't a huge price to pay for a fatpack. The hair offers 5 base tones with a color tinter.

My main issues with this particular hairstyle, which I neglected to mention in my initial post, were that

1) single tones are not offered. You either get the fatpack or you get nothing.

And 2) The hair is alpha-based. In my opinion, alpha-based hairs tend to look less realistic and more "flimsy," for lack of a better word. If the hair had looked like the really nice hair I mentioned with the too-high complexity, I would have no issue paying 1k for a fatpack of it. But the quality doesn't seem up to par with non-alpha hairs nor with the products the same creator put out previously for a lesser price and with the option to buy separate hair tones.

And to those upset by my use of the term "Karen," I'm sorry. I'm sure all the Karens you know are lovely people and wouldn't complain about expensive hair in SL like I have done. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rocky Haystack said:

TLDR: Am I being a Karen about an L$1,100 price tag for a hairstyle? Would you pay this much? Why or why not? 

No that's not what the definition of a 'Karen' is. We should be careful about expanding concepts like that into the realm of basically everything.

I'd find 1000L for a single hair to be a bit absurd as well, and would likely move on.

There are a LOT of hair makers in SL. If you posted say... a real-life image of the hair style you're seeking, I suspect someone will be able to find it at a much more normal price. I suggest a RL photo as that would work to avoid the 'name and shame' issue of the seller in question.

We have a wanted forum, which is actually the perfect place for a thread like this to get moved to along with such a helpful image being added. 😉

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Like beauty in the eye of the beholder, as is the intrinsic worth of an item. 
In the end, you are trading a bit of your life in exchange for a virtual item. 
Is that bit of pixel, the joy it brings you, a fair value for the money?

Same to me as a night at the movies, a meal out, a vacation.

Once the money is gone, it’s gone.  
If you enjoyed the item, then it’s worth it.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rocky Haystack said:

I've read everyones' replies and realize now that 1k isn't a huge price to pay for a fatpack. The hair offers 5 base tones with a color tinter.

My main issues with this particular hairstyle, which I neglected to mention in my initial post, were that

1) single tones are not offered. You either get the fatpack or you get nothing.

And 2) The hair is alpha-based. In my opinion, alpha-based hairs tend to look less realistic and more "flimsy," for lack of a better word. If the hair had looked like the really nice hair I mentioned with the too-high complexity, I would have no issue paying 1k for a fatpack of it. But the quality doesn't seem up to par with non-alpha hairs nor with the products the same creator put out previously for a lesser price and with the option to buy separate hair tones.

And to those upset by my use of the term "Karen," I'm sorry. I'm sure all the Karens you know are lovely people and wouldn't complain about expensive hair in SL like I have done. 

1k isn't a huge price to pay for a fatpack. For most people, a fatpack is a waste however, and 1k for a hairstyle you would only wear in one shade is far above what most are willing to pay and are routinely paying. Most hairstyle 'single colour' packs are in the 200-350 region - usually they come in a pack of "blondes" or "reds" rather than literally a single colour. 

You don't seem entirely convinced by the hairstyle in question, judging by your own posts. This combination of high price and lukewarm feeling towards the hair suggests to me that this hair is not for you, and you'd do better if you kept looking. 

(I'll leave the pseudo-philosophical non-answers to everyone else :P)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

For most people, a fatpack is a waste however, and 1k for a hairstyle you would only wear in one shade is far above what most are willing to pay and are routinely paying.

But you never know when you need to have green hair! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have no issues letting the Market Decide.

Personally, my hair color rarely varies  so I don’t need the fatpack. My mouse-brown locks are considerably cheaper than 1K, so I keep a variety of styles 🙂

So, people will vote with their pocketbooks.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29eccf31175c0dadfd8e

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.