Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Canuck01

Freckles and tattoos...

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone, 

  I was just wondering if I could get some advice or  suggestions on Something that has come up with my Avi. This isn’t exactly an urgent matter, just something I’d like to see it I can fix (if possible?!)

 i love having a tattoos (I mean a lot!) on my Avi but something I really wanted as well was full body freckles. This has created a problem. When I apply tattoos over the freckles they seem to cancel each other out. I have kind of found a solution but choosing where my freckles will appear and sacrificing some Ink!

  Many people in game have mentioned BOM to me as a solution. 

  Any ideas or tips, comments are welcome!


  Oh, I’m wearing a Maitreya Lara body!!

  Cheers!

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Canuck01 said:

Hello Everyone, 

  I was just wondering if I could get some advice or  suggestions on Something that has come up with my Avi. This isn’t exactly an urgent matter, just something I’d like to see it I can fix (if possible?!)

 i love having a tattoos (I mean a lot!) on my Avi but something I really wanted as well was full body freckles. This has created a problem. When I apply tattoos over the freckles they seem to cancel each other out. I have kind of found a solution but choosing where my freckles will appear and sacrificing some Ink!

  Many people in game have mentioned BOM to me as a solution. 

  Any ideas or tips, comments are welcome!


  Oh, I’m wearing a Maitreya Lara body!!

  Cheers!

  

Yes, BoM is simply the best solution. Maitreya Lara (the updated 5.1) has it on the HUD, no need to wear "relays".

What you must have, is a BoM skin. Check your skin store. Is it perhaps updated, so you can get a redelivery that includes BoM?

This BoM skin is the canvas that you use both layers and appliers over. You can not use BoM with an applier skin.

What you experience now with appliers, is the bug "Alpha clashing". With BoM you do not have more alpha clashing, since the textures on all the layers are baked into one. You also have so many possibilities, the limit is 62 layers.

I am wearing my skin with "nipple modesty patches" so I do not flash others before I have finished loading in a new sim. I wear 2 different layers of freckles, pubes in the correct color, cleavage add-ons to get a push-up effect, then tattoo layers and a thong or panties on the top. Baked into one layer. And it does not have to stop there. Blood, scars, stretch marks, stockings, tights, anything that does not need a 3 Effect. I do not recommend BoM for other than skintight clothing. But it is very useful if you want to have leggings or skintight jeans in boots. Or you have a mesh top with a deep cleavage, add a BoM top or a BoM bra under. Or you do not want to have someone cam up your dress or skirt, use BoM underwear. No need to alpha out the crotch.

If you do not need appliers, you are set to go. If you have some favorite appliers, add a layer for it. Maitreya now deliver you a body separate from the layers, so your body without layers have a lower avatar rendering complexity than before. Maitreya can also "flatten nipples" and get rid of the "camel toe" in case you will wear a bikini as BoM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Maitreya right now is ideal for BOM because the body was split by layers - you pick which layers to wear.

A lot of bodies now have a BOM applier HUD, but other than Maitreya and Regalia (a body for furries) most of them are still forcing you to wear a bunch of onion layers for bonus extra lag.

So you can wear just the basic body, turn on BOM, and wear skin, tattoos, makeup, and so on like it was a return to 2003 only in better detail.

Yes this is a reversal of my long held anti-Maitreya stance. Lag of mesh bodies has just gotten too far out of control for me to have any other stance right now than to beg people to please use the lowest lag options that still have decent clothing support; which is Maitreya and Regalia depending on human or furry (Maitreya is still about 10-20 times more laggy than Regalia - but ALL human bodies have this problem... really if we want to stop lag in SL we need to ban human avatars)...

Do note that a many people are using the tattoo layer for the skin as well as for tattoos and makeup and that can cause some items to fail to show up if wear things out of order. And of course, using the 'outfit' system of the viewer will always pick the order that messes up the most items just to mess with you...

 

I highly recommend avoiding using anything that is applier based. If the product in question has an old fashioned system clothing piece, system eye, system hairbase, system tattoo - use those instead. Each onion layer (applier layer) that you wear is basically like walking around with your body on one more additional time. So before 5.1 Maitreya - if you visited a place with 5 friends, 3 of you maitreya, 2 belleza - it was really like being in a place with 22 people once you add in all the onion layers (if I'm adding up the number of layers right). And then if you consider how high the polygon count was on Maitreya before 5, and still is on Belleza... 5 people the day before Maitreya 5.1 came out was more like visiting a sim in 2005 with 80 people on it...

(By contrast if you visit a furry sim today and meet 5 people on Regalia... it is like meeting 5 people on a sim in 2004 - after furries came up with the idea of wearing prims, but before they got 'detailed' with it - regalia is just that lightweight... and regalia can wear Maitreya AND Belleza clothing... so human bodies have NO EXCUSE).

 

TL:DR - Sorry for the rant. Use BOM, avoid appliers, and try to only wear the basic layer if you can.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BOM is the idea solution but if you don't have a BOM skin, you'll need to apply the freckles to the tattoo layer and the tattoo to the underwear layer (assuming it has an option to do so in the applier).  This sometimes causes an alpha glitch though, meaning that one of the layers will be invisible. One trick that sometimes works is to wear all three layers, put the freckles on tattoo layer, the tattoo on clothing layer, and turn the underwear layer (with no applier on it) to Mask mode.

But really, BOM is 100% the best way to do this. Everything else is a fudge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Maitreya right now is ideal for BOM because the body was split by layers - you pick which layers to wear.

A lot of bodies now have a BOM applier HUD, but other than Maitreya and Regalia (a body for furries) most of them are still forcing you to wear a bunch of onion layers for bonus extra lag.

So you can wear just the basic body, turn on BOM, and wear skin, tattoos, makeup, and so on like it was a return to 2003 only in better detail.

Yes this is a reversal of my long held anti-Maitreya stance......

......Welcome to the dark side.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0s1eMUonT5Mxv2uOjmTh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Psst, Slink Redux is also free of layers.... but the OP said she already had Maitreya, so I did not mention Slink)

I prefer Maitreya's way, Siddean Munro let you wear layers in case one has an applier top or lingerie they love. But I have not used a layer at all since I started with BoM. Slink does it different, it is either no layers (Redux) or three layers. No middle road.

But I do not dress up so often as I did. I might have needed to put on an applier if I posted pictures of me every day. I used my Flickr only for fashion, a long time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Maitimo said:

BOM is the idea solution but if you don't have a BOM skin, you'll need to apply the freckles to the tattoo layer and the tattoo to the underwear layer (assuming it has an option to do so in the applier).  This sometimes causes an alpha glitch though, meaning that one of the layers will be invisible. One trick that sometimes works is to wear all three layers, put the freckles on tattoo layer, the tattoo on clothing layer, and turn the underwear layer (with no applier on it) to Mask mode.

But really, BOM is 100% the best way to do this. Everything else is a fudge.

It took a while but I am finally seeing some quality BOM skins across a diverse range of skin tones.

Some of them fairly low priced and yet still top notch quality (It Girls for example). So that motivated me to get moving on an avatar update.

We just need to convince skin makers to NOT put the skin itself on a tattoo layer. I get that they have to do this for heads OR release 573 different skins... but for the body please don't. My other favorite skin brand, on every outfit update it rebakes the layers and moves the freckles of the alt that uses them to under the skin... and I then have to take off the tattoo layers and put them back on in the right order... only to see it vanish anytime SL does a rebake...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your problem is how the layers of your mesh-onion-skin are handling blending alpha portions of the images.

You can check your body's HUD to see if there is a BLEND control for the layer. If there is, just a click and you have the problem solved.

You'll have to experiment with the various layers and their Blend modes to see which layer works best set which way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Your problem is how the layers of your mesh-onion-skin are handling blending alpha portions of the images.

You can check your body's HUD to see if there is a BLEND control for the layer. If there is, just a click and you have the problem solved.

You'll have to experiment with the various layers and their Blend modes to see which layer works best set which way.

I disagree, it has not worked for me. Using this tab for tattoos and freckles makes the freckles goes from gentle to be dotted on with a marker, and the tattoos go all rough like prison tattoo style.

The only way I have managed to make this work, is to click the underwear layer in the HUD so it goes to mask mode, and use freckles on the tattoo layer and tattoos on the clothes layer. What you wear on the underwear layer can be underwear (duh) but if it is lace, the lace turns blotchy. So it is best that it's underwear you do not see, or solid fabric. An applier bikini will also do the trick.

Separating two alpha blend layers with a mask layer stops alpha clashing.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, 

  Thank you so much for all the advice, tips and suggestions. You all rock! 🙂

  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...