Jump to content

Any way to remove "report abuse" everywhere?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Everything I click on, objects, avatars, etc, I constantly see "report abuse" on menus.  I'm not going to grass people off every 5 minutes, can I turn this nanny state stuff off please?

I've changed from the standard viewer to the Firestorm viewer, and both have this annoyance.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunnyrio said:

Dropbox works too, you have 2 options either use the "pie menu" which doesn't show the report option that easily or totally remove it by editing the interface xml files. (TBH its pretty much useless)

Edited by Nick0678
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way to remove the Report or Report Abuse options without editing the skin xml files for the viewer in a text editor.
If you REALLY can't just ignore the report options, then, the files you need to edit on Firestorm are:


skins\default\xui\en\floater_report_abuse.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_object.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_pie_object.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_viewer.xml
skins\default\xui\en\floater_experienceprofile.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_attachment_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_avatar_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_fs_bump_list.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_fs_radar.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_inspect_object_gear.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_pie_attachment_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_pie_avatar_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_profile_overflow.xml

If (more likely when) your viewer crashes because you edited the files incorrectly or you break the viewer UI, just reinstall the viewer.
Don't cry at Firestorm support if you break it  ;)
 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 7:03 PM, Nick0678 said:

Dropbox works too

It didn't let me put an inline image in though, like NiranV Dean just did.

On 6/29/2020 at 10:04 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

There is no way to remove the Report or Report Abuse options without editing the skin xml files for the viewer in a text editor.
If you REALLY can't just ignore the report options, then, the files you need to edit on Firestorm are:


skins\default\xui\en\floater_report_abuse.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_object.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_pie_object.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_viewer.xml
skins\default\xui\en\floater_experienceprofile.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_attachment_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_avatar_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_fs_bump_list.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_fs_radar.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_inspect_object_gear.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_pie_attachment_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_pie_avatar_other.xml
skins\default\xui\en\menu_profile_overflow.xml

If (more likely when) your viewer crashes because you edited the files incorrectly or you break the viewer UI, just reinstall the viewer.
Don't cry at Firestorm support if you break it  ;)
 

Well I was getting to like Firestorm until:

Every time I return from AFK, my avatar is running on the spot.
It runs slower, so I can't use ultra graphics smoothly, but I can in the standard viewer.
The camera controls don't have presets.

Those three are enough to make me go back to the standard viewer.  I assume I can edit similar files in it to turn off the nannying, I'll try later.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:49 PM, Solar Legion said:

... That is supposed to be there in case you ever need to report a specific object.

"Nanny State" ... Sheesh ... What a load ...

Report an object? Why? Because it made too loud a noise? Get real. If I don't like an object, I will simply move away from it. You're always free to go somewhere else in SL. There is simply no need for running to mummy all the time. What a load of snowflakes everyone has become.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Report an object? Why? Because it made too loud a noise? Get real. If I don't like an object, I will simply move away from it. You're always free to go somewhere else in SL. There is simply no need for running to mummy all the time. What a load of snowflakes everyone has become.

*Sends you 1 message every second, for every second while you're online, expending your IM capacity while you're offline, no matter where you are, no matter if you mute the object.*

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

*Sends you 1 message every second, for every second while you're online, expending your IM capacity while you're offline, no matter where you are, no matter if you mute the object.*

That sounds..abusive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

*Sends you 1 message every second, for every second while you're online, expending your IM capacity while you're offline, no matter where you are, no matter if you mute the object.*

If somebody has placed that in their world, don't go to their world.  You do realise you can visit more than one place, right?

  

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That sounds..abusive.

Only if it's got a naughty word in it.  Then the snowflakes start crying.

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

If somebody has placed that in their world, don't go to their world.  You do realise you can visit more than one place, right?

  

Only if it's got a naughty word in it.  Then the snowflakes start crying.

What you don't realize that I could do that without EVER coming into contact with you. 

I don't need to see you, you don't need to be in a nearby sim, nothing. The only thing I would need is your avatar's UUID, which is public information.

Mine is 779e1d56-5500-4e22-940a-cd7b5adddbe0
Yours is 46708f33-74d1-4225-b5b7-5cf7a64fed7c
I know this despite never having met you in-world.

The point I am making is that some abuse you can't escape without abandoning your account, or getting help from LL. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

What you don't realize that I could do that without EVER coming into contact with you. 

I don't need to see you, you don't need to be in a nearby sim, nothing. The only thing I would need is your avatar's UUID, which is public information.

Mine is 779e1d56-5500-4e22-940a-cd7b5adddbe0
Yours is 46708f33-74d1-4225-b5b7-5cf7a64fed7c
I know this despite never having met you in-world.

The point I am making is that some abuse you can't escape without abandoning your account, or getting help from LL. 

Then I shouldn't be reporting the object, I should be filing a bug report with Linden for allowing a script to do that in the first place.  There's a serious security flaw in their servers if that can happen.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Then I shouldn't be reporting the object, I should be filing a bug report with Linden for allowing a script to do that in the first place.  There's a serious security flaw in their servers if that can happen.

It's a feature.

Before you say "then it shouldn't be a feature," why not, and does that mean I can still spam messages to you every second and you won't consider as abusive/harassment? If yes, let me know. If no, what changed?

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

It's a feature.

Before you say "then it shouldn't be a feature," does that mean I can still spam messages to you every second and you won't consider as abusive/harassment? If yes, let me know. If no, what changed?

That feature has limits to how many messages can be sent in a certain timeframe.  All Linden has to do is make those limits more sensible.  Oh and allowing it to be blocked.  Very easy to do that surely?  You can already block a person if you don't want messages from them.  Give the user the ability to block stuff themselves instead of wasting money employing admins to sort it out for them.

And I'd consider it spam, not abuse or harassment.  I don't report people to the police when they put junk mail through my door, the furthest I go is yelling very rude words, throwing it back in their face, and warning them it'll be a crowbar next time.  You see I fight my own battles, I don't run to someone else.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

That feature has limits to how many messages can be sent in a certain timeframe.  All Linden has to do is make those limits more sensible.  Oh and allowing it to be blocked.  Very easy to do that surely?  You can already block a person if you don't want messages from them.  Give the user the ability to block stuff themselves instead of wasting money employing admins to sort it out for them.

And I'd consider it spam, not abuse or harassment.  I don't report people to the police when they put junk mail through my door, the furthest I go is yelling very rude words, throwing it back in their face, and warning them it'll be a crowbar next time.  You see I fight my own battles, I don't run to someone else.

Actually that  can be blocked too. Even if the item is made to be rezzed temporarily and replicating it self every 30 seconds or less.

Never had to Report anything/anyone in SL I consider it a waste of time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunnyrio said:

Well I was getting to like Firestorm until:

Every time I return from AFK, my avatar is running on the spot.
It runs slower, so I can't use ultra graphics smoothly, but I can in the standard viewer.
The camera controls don't have presets.

Those three are enough to make me go back to the standard viewer.  I assume I can edit similar files in it to turn off the nannying, I'll try later.

Do you have "Sit when away" enabled in Prefs -> General?
There is a bug that causes you to run when standing up from a ground sit.
This bug happens on the LL viewer too, but the LL viewer doesn't have the sit when away option.
BUG-10122 - Avatar always runs after standing from groundsit

The next release of Firestorm will have the camera presets feature.

As for the performance problem, there could be several causes.
Firestorm has a lot more options & features then the LL viewer & this can cause some performance degradation, depending on your settings.
If you have dual graphics cards, make sure Firestorm is running on the gaming graphics card. You can see which graphics card is being used under Help -> About Firestorm.
Firestorm uses a higher object LOD setting then the LL viewer & this can cause lower FPS - Preferences -> Graphics -> Objects & sculpts LOD.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sunnyrio said:

Report an object? Why? Because it made too loud a noise? Get real. If I don't like an object, I will simply move away from it. You're always free to go somewhere else in SL. There is simply no need for running to mummy all the time. What a load of snowflakes everyone has become.

I bet some people even create forum threads to complain about menu entries.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Do you have "Sit when away" enabled in Prefs -> General?
There is a bug that causes you to run when standing up from a ground sit.
This bug happens on the LL viewer too, but the LL viewer doesn't have the sit when away option.
BUG-10122 - Avatar always runs after standing from groundsit

The next release of Firestorm will have the camera presets feature.

As for the performance problem, there could be several causes.
Firestorm has a lot more options & features then the LL viewer & this can cause some performance degradation, depending on your settings.
If you have dual graphics cards, make sure Firestorm is running on the gaming graphics card. You can see which graphics card is being used under Help -> About Firestorm.
Firestorm uses a higher object LOD setting then the LL viewer & this can cause lower FPS - Preferences -> Graphics -> Objects & sculpts LOD.

 

Yes I had sit when away.  And I think I need to invest in a faster card.  I've got a 5 year old Radeon R9 280X I bought for scientific computing for £50.  Actually I've got 4 of them, but only one is in my gaming machine.

  

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I bet some people even create forum threads to complain about menu entries.

I'm grumbling, not reporting, there's a difference.  If my neighbour annoys me, I go talk to him, I don't call the police.

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sunnyrio said:

If somebody has placed that in their world, don't go to their world.  You do realise you can visit more than one place, right?

  

Only if it's got a naughty word in it.  Then the snowflakes start crying.

Do you realize that it's entirely possible for someone to intentionally drop a griefing object  that will spawn replicating copies which fill multiple regions with objects, sounds and particles?

And if you try to "contact" them you'll discover that it's a burner account made specifically for that purpose?

And that the person who places the object doesn't have to own the "world" - it can be placed on land owned by someone who literally hasn't logged in for years and who won't be around to clean up the mess?

And that the only way to get rid of them is for a Linden Lab governance account to remove them?

And that the quickest and easiest way to notify Linden Lab is to (wait for it...) report abuse?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Do you realize that it's entirely possible for someone to intentionally drop a griefing object  that will spawn replicating copies which fill multiple regions with objects, sounds and particles?

And if you try to "contact" them you'll discover that it's a burner account made specifically for that purpose?

And that the person who places the object doesn't have to own the "world" - it can be placed on land owned by someone who literally hasn't logged in for years and who won't be around to clean up the mess?

And that the only way to get rid of them is for a Linden Lab governance account to remove them?

And that the quickest and easiest way to notify Linden Lab is to (wait for it...) report abuse?

Block the object in your viewer.  Tell Linden to fix their system so it's not possible to send spam.  Reporting every single instance is inefficient, which is why it costs so much to run the game, way too many admins wasting time policing things.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, sunnyrio said:

Block the object in your viewer.  Tell Linden to fix their system so it's not possible to send spam.  Reporting every single instance is inefficient, which is why it costs so much to run the game, way too many admins wasting time policing things.

1) Block it? We do. Doesn't mean that they go away.

2) "Fix the system?" I knew you were going to say that; unfortunately we don't have spoiler tags in this forum software so I couldn't reply to that statement before  you made it. The functions that are used to make griefing objects are the same basic functions that are used to make a wide variety of useful objects. Trying to "fix the system" that way would be the equivalent of taking F, C, U and K out of the alphabet to cut down on profanity. They do try to change some functions; many times after that you'll get some merchant howling about how their legitimate project got broken.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

1) Block it? We do. Doesn't mean that they go away.

2) "Fix the system?" I knew you were going to say that; unfortunately we don't have spoiler tags in this forum software so I couldn't reply to that statement before  you made it. The functions that are used to make griefing objects are the same basic functions that are used to make a wide variety of useful objects. Trying to "fix the system" that way would be the equivalent of taking F, C, U and K out of the alphabet to cut down on profanity. They do try to change some functions; many times after that you'll get some merchant howling about how their legitimate project got broken.

 

1) That's the definition of block, if they don't go away, then the blocking system is broken too.  Linden obviously need more programmers and less police.

2) There's no reason for an object to be able to send messages at a high rate to one person.  No idea what you mean about spoilers.

Edited by sunnyrio
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...