Best poses for still photography

SweeetLuv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Depends on what style pose you want as many poses out there on MP; whether you want bento poses or non bento poses as depends on style pose you want as my poses vary to the photo I'm shooting. :) 

• Like 1

There are plenty of pose makers around, but personally I prefer making my own - poses never really fit perfectly, due to the difference in avatar shapes, and once you've used a pose I find I don't like re-using it again ... So it saves L$ in the long run, too. Plus, you could potentially try selling them.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SweeetLuv said:

I’m new to sl but have full bento mesh body, head, hands and feet. Just want a starting off point for great pictures... 

There are many good pose makers still around (some of the best have departed long ago but I still use those twelve year old beauties).  I suggest going to various events (not right at opening because of lag) and TEST TEST TEST the poses. 

Even the best pose makers have good, not so go and excellent poses. And as said there is a "fitting problem" sometimes. So it is REALLY important you test the poses on the avatar you will be taking photos with.  Personally I have never purchased sets but prefer to pick the one or two best for me poses FROM a set.   That may not be as possible these days, but some shops still offer this. Most often I only keep a few (sometimes only one) out of a blogger set.   

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND Amacci's neck pose hud.  

Here is an example of PART of my Animations folder (it could used some neatening still :D) Some folders like STANDS have many other subfolders within them. And yes I have deleted probably ten times what I have purchased or kept :D.  

image.thumb.png.687863271b880feabc7f71549a676d09.png

I also suggest that FROM THE START, you categorize your poses. Whatever categories work for you. And if needed and possible rename them to be more descriptive than "pose 143" LOL as that just isn't helpful at all. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SweeetLuv said:

So would you recommend anypose to make poses or what program do you recommend?

I've never tried Anypose myself, it seems to work fine enough when friends use it. I use either Avastar or Qavimator to make the pose and then upload it into SL, you can try the pose whilst setting the upload options, and go back to adjust it before you finalize the upload.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SweeetLuv said:

So would you recommend anypose to make poses or what program do you recommend?

When I was actively making poses I would use DAZ studio, you can use it to make animations too. I don't recall getting on well with QAvimator think it may have been harder to use than DAZ 

Edited by Claireschen Hesten
  • Like 1

I make poses, but still shop for poses when I can't make what I want or am too lazy.. cos.. yea.. lazy happens. Marketplace can be intimidating as it is just sooo full of stuff! I have an MP store and even I am overwhelmed sometimes. Still poses can range from simple to "kinetic", and it all depends on what picture you want to make. I'd be on the lookout for oddly twisted limbs (especially the shoulders) and "stiff" poses, which can happen when creators don't look at the little details like the hands and feet and how they are turned.. or how the head is positioned. I make my poses for me first, then use them in photos, and only if I like how it turns out do I sell them in packs (as in the image attached). For kinetic poses, I would recommend Poseidon. I'd also look at Reve Obscura poses (both are on MP). The price point on them can vary, but RO poses are some of my fave bc they usually have props as well for a super low price and maximum quality. Lyrium is also one of my faves. And, while it might be weird that as a pose maker I am reccomending other's poses, its because I recognize their quality and I want to support other creators too :) I also don't just make poses so its honestly not an issue. 

night thought poses ad MP.png

Edited by Tess Falworth

I collect the poses I like and add them to my PoseAnywhere HUD. It has categories. So I think it works well.

Poses come in sizes. Small, Medium, and Large. These refer to the avatar size. There is no standard as to what these are. So they vary pose maker to maker.

There is a movement to have more realistic avatar sizes. The Linden SL Viewer has a height problem that tricks people into making BIG avatars. My best guess is it remains for legacy compatibility reasons. We've complained about it for years. Third-party viewer makers have ignored it or adjusted for it. So, it can get confusing. This doesn't help with animation sizing.

When I make poses or animations I use Blender with the AvaStar add-on. That allows me to use .anim files which give more control.

Recently I began using Black Dragon Viewer for the built in Poser. There are some threads here talking about the viewer and poser. There are some tutorials on YouTube.

I think it is great for tweaking those poses that almost fit me. Plus, I make lots of on the fly poses now. In the image below, there was no way to sit in the driver's seat. So, I used the poser to put me in the seat and hand on the steering wheel. 

In this link  https://flic.kr/p/2j9MhTq (NSFW) I used it to tweak the sit pose and manipulate my fingers.

You have lots of options for poses.

I also use my dance and walk animations as poses. As mentioned you can slow animations. With Black Dragon you can click Start Posing and it freezes your avatar so you can tweak the pose or camera. It is also possible to freeze the entire viewer render for a snapshot. I only do that if I am trying to freeze a background.

Nal-SL17B-BD_005.thumb.jpg.571664496bfbdd3c65c799aba54fed41.jpg

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.