Someone said i can't post links in the SL17B chat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Someone said to me to not post links in the SL17B chat, and I had to immediately quit myself the SL17B groups, in danger that I could get kicked from the event, and log out from SL. All because i just was streaming video. Is that happening too often to you all? Just to let me know. This never happened to me until TODAY. 

2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

someone was pulling your leg. unless their name as different colored or bolded or italic what ever you set your viewer for group admin/mod and what ever color you set your chat to indicate its a linden dont believe what any other person says.

Perhaps, also it wasn't colored at all, it was a regular white text.  I am just scared to go ahead, i never was like a noob, like many i see in SL.  Only in my early days back in 2014, but that has changed since then.

Edited by MLALRS7044

3 minutes ago, MLALRS7044 said:

Perhaps, also it wasn't colored at all, it was a regular white text.  I am just scared to go ahead, i never was like a noob, like many i see in SL.  Only in my early days back in 2014, but that has changed since then.

just be careful and maybe ask any of the group admins/mods before doing it again, but you dont have to leave the group just because some random said so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

just be careful and maybe ask any of the group admins/mods before doing it again, but you dont have to leave the group just because some random said so.

Okay. I will be careful the next time. 

• Like 1

Many groups (probably most) disallow the posting of links because unscrupulous people would use them to post unrelated spam, or links to malicious websites pretending to be the SL marketplace.  If you see a link saying something like "...sl-marketplace.altervista.org" do not click it. You may know this already, but there might be newer people reading here who don't.

At the very least, links in group chat tend to be unwelcome advertising, and the only way for a group owner to prevent that is to prohibit them all.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

someone was pulling your leg. unless their name as different colored or bolded or italic what ever you set your viewer for group admin/mod and what ever color you set your chat to indicate its a linden dont believe what any other person says.

can be a total right remark from a group member, pointing to rules when somebody spams isn't just for mods.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

can be a total right remark from a group member, pointing to rules when somebody spams isn't just for mods.

this is where you are wrong it is not for anyone else to uphold the rules or tell someone they have to stop or should leave the group. it is for the mods/admin of the group to decide what is allowed or not, no some random persons personal preference. that is expressly for what mods and admins of groups are for to enforce the rules.

the person who didnt like it should have taken it up with a mod/admin of the group instead of thinking it was their right to act like one. and attempt to bully or intimidate the person in to acting or doing what they wanted.

just because someone posted something that someone else does not like does not automatically make it spam for everyone else..

now lets watch as the sockpuppets come out of the wood work here...

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1

It was just my error, and now i learned the lesson. "Never spam a group without permission from someone that moderates the group" My apologies once again. Also i will be back there, but not for spamming, i will put the link on Circus Maxximus instead as they are a spam group.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

it is for the mods/admin of the group to decide what is allowed or not, no some random persons personal preference. ...hat is expressly for what mods and admins of groups are for to enforce the rules.

this is where you take it wrong, everybody is allowed to point at rules, but mods and owner enforce the rules.
Next to it.. i'm pretty sure the person that told about the rule,didn't tell she should leave the group but could be removed for it.

As usual again a very pleasant experience to discuss  with you

3 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this is where you take it wrong, everybody is allowed to point at rules, but mods and owner enforce the rules.

As usual again a very pleasant experience to discuss  with you

im not pleasant and I dont have to be.. and those that cant handle it.. not my problem.. its their own. I dont change just because some random person thinks I should.

you can point at the rules.. but does not mean they have the right to tell anyone they should leave the group because of what they did. like the op said happened. only the mods/admins have that say. and does not mean what they said was the rules for that group but their own person wish about how they wanted the offending person in their mind to behave or act or do. so no its not their right at that point.

guess you didnt read that part of what the op first said..

4 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I don't have any, and i do not want to talk about sockpuppeting yet. Also this case is CLOSED.

Edited by MLALRS7044
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

im not pleasant and I dont have to be.. and those that cant handle it.. not my problem.. its their own. I dont change just because some random person thinks I should.

you can point at the rules.. but does not mean they have the right to tell anyone they should leave the group because of what they did. like the op said happened. only the mods/admins have that say. and does not mean what they said was the rules for that group but their own person wish about how they wanted the offending person in their mind to behave or act or do. so no its not their right at that point.

guess you didnt read that part of what the op first said..

Guess you missed the part where OP didn't actually say someone told them those things, but that they chose to leave the group, out of their own fear after being told not to post links.

Reading is hard when all you want to do is argue ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The SL Birthday groups have a long history of drama -- I could tell such stories -- and I stopped participating a couple years ago because of it. Maybe it's improved, but I wouldn't assume anything happening in SL birthday chat would be guided by norms of any other group chat. Hence I wouldn't blame the OP for being extra careful.

That said, I personally avoid most videos -- text is so much more efficient -- so for me the fewer places video links appear, the better.

• Like 1

I'd stay on the cautious side of behaviour when it comes to big event groups. They get griefed a lot and tolerance levels for rulebreaking are often very low. Which is why I wouldn't ignore regular group members, thinking that you'll get a proper warning from a moderator... often you'll just find you're banned. Those warnings from regular members are letting you know so that you can avoid that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Guess you missed the part where OP didn't actually say someone told them those things, but that they chose to leave the group, out of their own fear after being told not to post links.

Reading is hard when all you want to do is argue ;)

or maybe you misunderstood what they said. maybe they did say it and mean it that way. they never said they chose to leave the group.. just that the left the group because of what was said. aka was made to feel they had too aka was possibly intimidated by what was said.

5 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

I'd stay on the cautious side of behaviour when it comes to big event groups. They get griefed a lot and tolerance levels for rulebreaking are often very low. Which is why I wouldn't ignore regular group members, thinking that you'll get a proper warning from a moderator... often you'll just find you're banned. Those warnings from regular members are letting you know so that you can avoid that.

There's truth there, but how do you tell who is a "regular group member"?

Even in long-standing help groups, that's difficult. On what I have seen of this year's SL17B groups, even the "official" post warning of events have been spammy in style:  multiple lines of uninformative "decoration", and little or no information about about what style of music the DJ or Live Performer is presenting.

They have not done a good job. The only event which piqued my curiousity enough to lure me into one of those overcrowded, viewer-crashing, lag-fests was almost invisible in the published calendar, and I would have missed it if one of the performers hadn't done his own promotion elsewhere.

Two more days... If I want music I can watch recordings from Glastonbury on the BBC

9 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

or maybe you misunderstood what they said. maybe they did say it and mean it that way. they never said they chose to leave the group.. just that the left the group because of what was said. aka was made to feel they had too aka was possibly intimidated by what was said.

Do you ever tire of such relentless, unjustifiable contrarianism? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.