What Does Your Avatar Look Like Now?

Saravendi

On 10/16/2020 at 6:19 PM, MsAfrodite said:

I am trying to make sure I have the right or at least average settings for my Avatar. For example, for a female avi the height, arm length, thickness, etc. I feel like mine may be too short with too thin arms, neck and shoulders. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. 🤗

ghghjghjytuyu.JPG

hfhgffhg.JPG

hgjghgj.JPG

jfgfhfhfg.JPG

lllwwwqqqq.JPG

llppooooo.JPG

It looks like you are using Maitreya as your body, correct? There are various ways to create a shape to suit what you need, but there are some things that I tend to do to keep proportions as accurate as I can in SL. Your arms should be at about 99 length, and the elbows should be at the waist. That is actually what a normal female is in RL. You can tweak the length of the torso just a little, but if you make it too long, it will be disproportionate to the rest of you. Align your belly button with your inner elbows as much as possible and you will have a good starting point. The Arm length for many many Avis is way too short usually. 25 is about right, but try going shorter and see what it looks like. I also notice that people tend to make their hips very "short", but when you think of a female, you need to have enough area in your pelvis to carry a child..so, I recommend making your hip length beyond 50, which you have. I make my shapes at 0 height and then make the legs longer or shorter as needed, to keep your height proportionate.  Hand size is usually around 20 for Maitreya hands. Also, your torso muscles, try making them slimmer, closer to 20 perhaps.  

I've been drawing human bodies for years since art school days, and learning proportions was key. After you learn those, you can mess with them to adjust to your aesthetic. Feel free to reach out to me in SL if you wish if you need some more recommendations. I've made shapes since I started, sell them in my MP store, and it comes easy to me so I am happy to help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tess Falworth said:

It looks like you are using Maitreya as your body, correct? There are various ways to create a shape to suit what you need, but there are some things that I tend to do to keep proportions as accurate as I can in SL. Your arms should be at about 99 length, and the elbows should be at the waist. That is actually what a normal female is in RL. You can tweak the length of the torso just a little, but if you make it too long, it will be disproportionate to the rest of you. Align your belly button with your inner elbows as much as possible and you will have a good starting point. The Arm length for many many Avis is way too short usually. 25 is about right, but try going shorter and see what it looks like. I also notice that people tend to make their hips very "short", but when you think of a female, you need to have enough area in your pelvis to carry a child..so, I recommend making your hip length beyond 50, which you have. I make my shapes at 0 height and then make the legs longer or shorter as needed, to keep your height proportionate.  Hand size is usually around 20 for Maitreya hands. Also, your torso muscles, try making them slimmer, closer to 20 perhaps.  

I've been drawing human bodies for years since art school days, and learning proportions was key. After you learn those, you can mess with them to adjust to your aesthetic. Feel free to reach out to me in SL if you wish if you need some more recommendations. I've made shapes since I started, sell them in my MP store, and it comes easy to me so I am happy to help. 

I'm with Tess. RL artist here, painting and drawing for many many decades.

There are tons of resources online that show correctly proportioned male and female bodies using the "8 head height idealized" human figures, as well as 7-1/2 and 7 head ones.

8-head refers to the basic proportions of an idealized shape ... you basically use your head height from top of head to chin, and then that same height seven more times under that to get your height (for a total of eight heads high). They also show off the widths of key parts of your body in head heights. At certain points, you have key parts of your body (male and female differ slightly) and you can use these key points as reference to create a better looking (more proportional figure) in SL; e.g., bottom of breasts, nipple, navel, hips, midpoint, knees, elbows, shoulder height, etc.

These proportion charts are also available in a few stores, including my own MP store where I have one for male and female, with the male also having an ideal female line indicated, and it's resized to have the two of them aligned correctly. I set my figures at a slightly taller than artist standard 6' for females, and 6'3-1/2" for males. They're also set to be phantom so you can slide your figure into them during adjustments. 

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Thanks 1