What Does Your Avatar Look Like Now?

Saravendi

That wasn't the intention. Sara started this thread off as an alternative to the original thread which was becoming bogged down in quotes and comments. 

Some of us have abandoned the original thread and just post here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Why did we need a second thread with all the same pictures in it, though?

Some people thought the other thread was getting too many generalized comments and too much quoting of pictures posted.  I still see pictures being quoted here and sometimes a random comment without a photo, so go figure.  Mostly it was about trying to control the thread content, which anyone that has been around the forums long enough knows is really pretty much impossible.

Over time, my guess is that most everyone will move here, thus keeping this one on the front page and letting the other fall away, with the result that this thread will ultimately be no different than the other.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some people thought the other thread was getting too many generalized comments and too much quoting of pictures posted.  I still see pictures being quoted here and sometimes a random comment without a photo, so go figure.  Mostly it was about trying to control the thread content, which anyone that has been around the forums long enough knows is really pretty much impossible.

Over time, my guess is that most everyone will move here, thus keeping this one on the front page and letting the other fall away, with the result that this thread will ultimately be no different than the other.

The situation of having two exactly the same purpose threads is not good. Most annoying thing is that some post exactly the same snapshot to both threads. Hasn't it been the general rule in the forums that "do not make double and/or multiple posts" of the same thing to various threads?

So to return the situation back to normal either thread should be locked down ASAP - or even merge the two threads into one single thread.
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/405992-how-does-your-avatar-look-today/
and
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/456871-what-does-your-avatar-look-like-now/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I had to post on Facebook today to let my friends know I'm alive.  Apparently my silence on social media is not the norm :P

So, since I took the trouble to take a picture and post it -- because they were NOT getting a shot of my RL visage at this point lol -- here y'all go :)

Coffee Check-in_001.edit.png

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

The situation of having two exactly the same purpose threads is not good. Most annoying thing is that some post exactly the same snapshot to both threads. Hasn't it been the general rule in the forums that "do not make double and/or multiple posts" of the same thing to various threads?

So to return the situation back to normal either thread should be locked down ASAP - or even merge the two threads into one single thread.
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/405992-how-does-your-avatar-look-today/
and
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/456871-what-does-your-avatar-look-like-now/

There are three threads for pics of avatars.  the Vanity Thread has been around since 2011 so is much older than either of these.

I see no reason to close or merge any of them.  You shouldn't post the same pic in more than one place but that hasn't been that common and isn't a reason to close down a popular thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I feel the need to chime in here publicly. 

@BelindaN and @Amanda Dallin are EXACTLY 100% correct.

I've been posting (almost daily) to "How does your avatar look today" thread for nearly 3 years! That thread, (HDYALT) I believe, had survived as long as it did because of the community support, friendliness and professional like attitude of those of us who were participating. However, the thread as of late, (IMHO), has degraded into a bickering, mean spirited high school level clique of sorts, to the point of completely changing the tone of what I believe was for years a very mature level of participation. Many of us have retreated into the shadows or Flickr because of that toxicity. I felt that a new thread (with some ground rules) would give sanctuary to those of us who preferred simpily posting our photos without having to wade through constant reposting, grandstanding, spamming, personal fights in a public forum and bickering.

To @Paul Hexem... if you had read the formation/originating post, the ideals I'm speaking of were written there. As for posting the exact same picture multiple threads...??? I can't say anything other then I believe it is fairly understood that when posting to any of the "look at me threads" (Vanity, HDYALT or WDYALLN) that you should upload a unique photo, not the exact same one. That only seems reasonable to me. Regarding@Coby Foden comment, I am only posting in this thread because of the aforementioned comments along with ppl like BelindaN and @Laika Ravikumar and @taisiyakarpenko etc... (and many others) of who I'm sure are not inclined to have the two or three threads merged into one giant mess...(not that it would even be possible). 

If anyone wants to take issue with me on these comments, please private message me so we keep it out of the thread.

Sara

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 7.26.31 PM copy.jpg

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6