Interesting Article

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I kind of agree with what this person is saying. I do think that a lot of creativity was stifled once mesh was released to the SL grid and it did create a series of monopolies that would prove very difficult to beat. I do like the idea of a very basic mesh editor built into the viewer and have wished for that for a long time. I do think LL needs to do more to encourage the average user to get into developing and creating. Back before mesh pretty much anyone you met had at least had a go at it. Now days more often than not its "no body got time for that....".

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2019/12/sl-fashion-non-mesh-eshi-otawara.html

I kind of agree, but at the same time, unless LL really puts the LOW in polygon and actually start to push creators towards that, creations are only going to get more complex.

Even during the prim days there was some absolute monstruosities made due to a lack of real "limits".

And I know this isn't a topic about optimization, but there is a reason why videogame modding became a thing, the bar was pretty low.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree 100% that Second Life could have grown its user base substantially if they'd invested in an offline mesh creation tool specifically geared for SL. It would have spurred more SL-related mesh educational opportunities than what have been available both in-world and out. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Nadezda said:

if they'd invested in an offline mesh creation tool

Time offline is losing time inworld. I can sort of understand why they prefer people to bang the prims together.

Got to say that the builds that amazed me were all prims, the places I first stumbled into back in 2009 were entrancing. The mesh buildings I see now are more precise, more clinical, more detailed, but somehow they just don't grab my attention and awaken the urge to explore like the older builds. Portmerion, for example.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.