Getting rid of Viewer 2

BayleeSimone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When will they get rid of viewer 2???

That client viewer is the most poorly designed viewer.  It is too complicated to use and there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too many windows to click through to get to what I want.  Please, Lindens, kill that viewer and go back to the olld one.  If I have to take a class to figure it out, it is too complicated.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear LL, please don't. Its a wonderful tool that allows me to explore SL with ease and efficiency, if I have to learn how to use all of its features to their fullest potential then there are many resources available both inworld, in the answers forum, knowledge base, and built into the viewer itself. Thank you.

I have to say, I like viewer 2. I couldn't use viewer 1 anymore again.

And No, they won't get rid of Viewer 2. But I think they will get rid of Viewer 1 very soon, maybe during this year. Latest when mesh will hit the grid. And as a designer I only can say - it is more than time to disable viewer 1.

So better have a look at the TPVs, based on viewer 2. There are enough out there. I won't trust any TPV again, but a lot of people are very happy with this viewers, so have a look.

There are a lot of bugs with viewer 2. But please don't get rid of it. If you do enough searching on these forums or the internet, there are ways around this viewers problems. I have found ways to stop my computer from using 100% of it's resources while using this viewer. Plus ways to stop my nvidia graphics card to stop freezing while in world.

This viewer is far better than the one that came out in 2009. Those are the only ones I have on my 4 year old computer.

I love Viewer 2 also and i use it. Of course its no perfect but i can do so many things easier than in Phoenix. For example we have the address bar. So easily we can TP to our previous or next region using the arrows ( <-- / -->) or TP home with just one click. Also we have the favorites bar where again with just 1 click we can TP in all favorite destinations. Where are all them in Phoenix? I could say many more but i consider that it is unnecessary. It is right of everyone to use a Third Party Viewer. On the other side let's admit that a respectable number of users love and use Viewer 2. This is the fact.

BayleeSimone wrote:

If I have to take a class to figure it out, it is too complicated.

I dunno.  Phoenix is a very popular viewer, of course, despite the fact they offer frequent classes, "Phoenix 101", in how best to use it.  That suggests to me a fair number of people must feel in need of assistance in figuring it out.  

Rufio63 wrote:

There are a lot of bugs with viewer 2. But please don't get rid of it. If you do enough searching on these forums or the internet, there are ways around this viewers problems. I have found ways to stop my computer from using 100% of it's resources while using this viewer. Plus ways to stop my nvidia graphics card to stop freezing while in world.

This viewer is far better than the one that came out in 2009. Those are the only ones I have on my 4 year old computer.

Rufio...I have problems with both of these, nvidia & resource use.  Can you point me in the right direction or post some links that you found useful?

Nethya Emor wrote:

Dear LL, please change the skin on Viewer 2, so I can actually know what am I doing. Thank you.
;)

Have you tried the Starlight skins?  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Skins/Starlight 

I find they mitigate most of the worst features of the V2 UI, and you can even get rid of the sidebar, if you don't like it, with the new Stardust one there.

I live Viewer 2 because it's the most compatible with SL obviously, it's the fastest (if you have a semi recent computer) and the sidebar gives me everything I can do in one place.  The only 2 things I can't stand about Viewer 2 is the chat and the notifications.  If they could make it more like Phoenix and have it all in one window with vertical tabs and have the notifications like Phoenix too (lindens spent, etc..) I'd use it.  However, since I use chat most of all, I can't use Viewer 2.

valerie Inshan wrote:

There is no reason why LL should get rid of Viewer 2 because some users dislike it. You are free to choose a third party viewer from the list here:

"Some" users dislike it? ROTFLMAO. Watch what happens when Viewer 2.x is made mandatory... time to update your resumes, Lindens.

Right, Yoki. A Linden implemented mandatory change will spell the end of SL. We've never heard that before. You mean the mandatory implementation of some type of universal standard that is going to make content, usability and stabilization much better is on its way? Run residents, run.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Right, Yoki. A Linden implemented mandatory change will spell the end of SL. We've never heard that before. You mean the mandatory implementation of some type of universal standard that is going to make content, usability and stabilization much better is on its way? Run residents, run.

Harold Camping, I am not. LOL!

No it will not be the end of SL, but the decline will be severe enough that more Linden staff lay-offs will be necessary. Recovery from the drop in concurrency that mandatory use of Viewer 2.x will cause, will be long and tedious. I won't be here to see it, I can assure you.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

BayleeSimone wrote:

I dunno.  Phoenix is a very popular viewer, of course, despite the fact they offer frequent classes, "Phoenix 101", in how best to use it.  That suggests to me a fair number of people must feel in need of assistance in figuring it out.  

Oh boy. LL dares not reveal that Viewer 2.x needs a post-graduate degree to learn how to use it. Forget "Viewer 2.x 101".

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

~shrug~ choice is good. If you don't like Viewer 2, simply don't use it. Plenty of v1 viewers out there - until mesh hits the grid, anyway. Then it'll get interesting
:)

"Interesting?" Oh yes, you have that right.

Yoki Enoch wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

BayleeSimone wrote:

Oh boy. LL dares not reveal that Viewer 2.x needs a post-graduate degree to learn how to use it. Forget "Viewer 2.x 101".

All I can say is I can't see how it's any more complicated for a new user than is 1.23, which is hardly the most intuitive of UIs, though we all rapidly became used to it when first we started.   And I didn't find it particularly taxing to get used to the new V2 UI.  I found it a bit like driving a new car you're not used to; it's a bit hairy at first because everything's in the wrong place, but after a day or so it's second nature.  The keyboard shortcuts are all the same, as far as I can tell, which I found a great help. 

What do you find so difficult about it?   I'm not disagreeing with you, nor saying you should like, or even use, V2.   It's just I use Marine's RLV a lot and -- maybe because it's got a Starlight skin -- I find it perfectly simple to use.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Lol, cute, I had to look that up
:)
I hope you stick around, I bet it will be fun

Nope, I will be long gone. Viewer 2.x is a symbol of everything that is wrong with Linden Lab, and it will give me an excuse for simply just dropping out. It is too bad, I have many friends, and very good friends in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.