RP and OOC mixed or distinct??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had a very nervewracking experience on SL today. A sim, which I keep unnamed out of respect, held a gathering and I attended. Someone had told me in advance it would be an in-character event, so I began with RP posting and made 1-2 OOC comments in ((....)). I thought everything would be fine, but it quickly became clear from others' posts that I would not be able to tell IC apart from OOC here. Nevertheless, I responded IC to what I thought was an IC invitation from a character. My character, being new, acted wary and shy, but began to warm up. Suddenly out of the blue he is asked if that person did anything to make him so edgy. Other than "looking warily" there had been no observable IC information that he was in fact edgy and his conversation by this point was warm and friendly. The other person had gathered "edgy" from my OOC and emote comments about being new and shy. Moreover it became clear quickly from an IM conversation, that this person was OOC concerned and really did not make any distinction between IC and OOC. No one there did. Not knowing whether my character or myself was being psychoanalyzed, I experienced a massive panic and had to leave the sim.

Recommendation: State either "Mixed IC and OOC" or "IC distinct from OOC" up front  in the rules and if distinct, provide a standard way of notating that, such as ((....)) for OOC. Teach people to only use information gathered from spoken text in "....." or from a description of body language in their IC posts. Otherwise, others like me, who are prone to anxiety in ambiguous situations, may be sent into panic.

Edited by Borelek
2 minutes ago, Borelek said:

I had a very nervewracking experience on SL today. A sim, which I keep unnamed out of respect, held a gathering and I attended. Someone had told me in advance it would be an in-character event, so I began with RP posting and made 1-2 OOC comments in ((....)). I thought everything would be fine, but it quickly became clear from others' posts that I would not be able to tell IC apart from OOC here. Nevertheless, I responded IC to what I thought was an IC invitation from a character. My character, being new, acted wary and shy, but began to warm up. Suddenly out of the blue he is asked if that person did anything to make him so edgy. Other than "looking warily" that had been no observable IC information that he was in fact edgy and his conversation by this point was warm and friendly. The other person had gathered "edgy" from my OOC and emote comments about being new and shy. Moreover it became clear quickly from an IM conversation, that this person was OOC concerned and really did not make any distinction between IC and OOC. No one there did. Not knowing whether my character or myself was being psychoanalyzed, I experienced a massive panic and had to leave the sim.

Recommendation: State either "Mixed IC and OOC" or "IC distinct from OOC" up front  in the rules and provide a standard way of notating that, such as ((....)) for OOC. teach people to only use information gathered from spoken text in "....." or from a description of body language. Otherwise, others like me, who are prone to anxiety in ambiguous situations, will be sent into panic.

sadly a lot of groups do not do this. and even in groups where its superposed to be ic.. some ooc will happen. so yes it can be a real challenge to know how to respond or what is going on at times.

and there is always possible that there will be at least one person who will mix ic and ooc all the time depending upon who speaks and what its about..

rp is not simple and easy for everyone and not everyone plays by the same rp rules and never will. metagaming happens and cannot ever really be stopped.

49 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'm wondering whether there is any point in elaborating details or if "people just suck" is enough to comment on that ignorance of those "roleplayers".

its not ignorance its personal choice on how they roleplay. no one really has the right to tell anyone how they have to roleplay or what is right or wrong or fair or not. but a lot of people like to think they do.

no one has to follow any rules that are not expressly set beforehand for any rp and are not enforced. if the group mod's do not enforce the rules then its on them and not the person breaking the un-written rules.

there are not set in stone rules of how anyone has to rp with anyone else. either people adapt or they learn to ignore it or move on.

problem is many people want to think or believe everyone else has to or will rp like them which is completely ridiculous.

I often disagree with Drakona, but not this time.

There are all sorts of different ways to roleplay.  The OP's concern is valid, but only in areas where there is "formal" RP going on.  These places will most often have things like a background story, rules of behavior, how to post OOC remarks, etc.  There are also a lot of places that encourage informal RP, such as The Independent States of Caledon.  Here you will find many people dressed in Victorian garb, or old military uniforms, or steampunk outfits.  They may have a persona and are "in character" all the time, such as Baron Klaus von Wulfenbach.  Others may play "themselves", but just be in period costume, while still others don't participate in the RP aspects at all.

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There are all sorts of different ways to roleplay.  The OP's concern is valid, but only in areas where there is "formal" RP going on.  These places will most often have things like a background story, rules of behavior, how to post OOC remarks, etc.  There are also a lot of places that encourage informal RP, such as The Independent States of Caledon.  Here you will find many people dressed in Victorian garb, or old military uniforms, or steampunk outfits.  They may have a persona and are "in character" all the time, such as Baron Klaus von Wulfenbach.  Others may play "themselves", but just be in period costume, while still others don't participate in the RP aspects at all.

often such formal rp sims may even have separate groups, one for ic chat and one for general chat, which may include both ic or ooc. it all really depends upon the sim/group  and the admins and how they want to run the rp.

To be honest...

It sounds like a horrible and uncomfortable experience. 

• I think a little description and more awareness is in order for that sim. 
  • There has to be separation between OOC and IC somewhere. 

Each community is different and some people regard roleplay differently. 

I've seen the mixture of OOC and IC more in Second Life than any other community I've been in. 

On 6/21/2020 at 11:34 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

Lindal isn't wrong about there being different ways to roleplay. 

• To me roleplay involves clear communication out of character so both writers understand a scene or can voice whether or not they are comfortable with a scene(or what they would like to see happen and discuss future roleplay). When it comes to roleplay, I'm not writing me being this character, but rather writing for this character. You do meet people who play themselves in roleplay⁠—which is uncomfortable for me since I'm not writing myselfand the people who adopt the persona of a character. These tend to be abnormal depending on where you write. It's like the concept of the usage of "I"(first person) in roleplay and how people sometimes frown at it. It has a tendency to make people uninterested or uncomfortable because it leads into that mixture of OOC and IC
  • There is formal roleplay and informal roleplay, but it depends on how you define that. Sometimes people will ask if you want freeform or planned roleplay
  • Explaining roleplay can be overly complicated, because there is a lot you can get into(it isn't cut and dry and how I view isn't exactly others would view it). 
  • I do believe there should be some indication for OOC and IC always. 

In the sims I RP’d in you roleplayed in character in the sim and was OOC in IM or in the OOC chat group.  The place I roleplayed in had Mentors that are supposed to help new roleplayers.  They helped alright but to all the new girls who were sexually active in the sim. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.