So how does BoM work....a simpletons guide please?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/21/2020 at 7:13 PM, iBrat said:

I seriously hate dressing with appliers. I left SL many years for it because I just could not deal with missing hairbase etc after TP,  never finding my avatar as how I left it. Not to mention getting those horrors off me, specially demo's... (and yes, maybe I never bothered enough to get that under control, but man...)

A whole new life opened up for me. I find my avatar exactly how I left it, I demo away all day, click the BoM whatever item on and off and it actually shows in what I am wearing, so easy to find. Messing myself up and with one clicky on saved fits I look as myself again :) Brillant.

I am such a fan.

Yes all this.

4 hours ago, xBaeBeex said:

i have a question with BOM... and maybe i should already know the answer because i was using BOM on my genus for quite a while..

when theres a makeup store.. and they have..say Eyes or Lip sets.. in boxes for:

genus+bom

catwa+bom

LeL+bom

..are these boms ONLY for that head? do these BOM tatoo/makeup layers only suit the corresponding head it is paired with? or is ALL BOMs for maybe just the same and slaps on??

dying to know.. thankyou.

Each head is mapped slightly different, especially around the eyes, mouth and ears.

You can see here (picture on the left) what you can get; this is a skin from Pink Fuel that is not made for Catwa, worn on a Catwa head. The inner eyes are "dragged down" because the UV map on a Catwa head isn't quite the same as a system head. On a different brand or head (Genus or Lelutka) it wouldn't necessarily look the same.

catwa%20eye%20fix.jpg?1588696593

On the right is the same skin worn with a tattoo layer mask to cover the area.

So yes, you CAN wear any BOM skin on any BOM-enabled head regardless of the brand. But it's not guaranteed to look right.

Incidentally I tested this same skin on the demo of the HDPRO Catwa head yesterday and the mapping has changed so this effect is much reduced - but it's still there. I think that skins made for Catwa's older heads will look fine on HDPRO but I suspect the reverse will not necessarily be the case.

On 6/21/2020 at 12:02 PM, FairreLilette said:

Some of my hairs are modify, I wonder if I put the hairs on alpha masking if it would help the alphas clashing with eyelashes/some hairs?  

It may be forehead angle you are talking about.  I'll try it and play around with it then.  Thanks very much, Skell!

Edit:  Belinda, I don't know how BOM works either.  I thought it was affecting how my hairs sit on my head - it isn't as I thought BOM was a whole system but I don't know anything about it.  I don't know how the heck it works or what it is doing either, but I do have a better avatar complexity and better computer performance as far as FPS I'd like to keep testing to see what's going on with that.   BOM seems to up my frames per second in busy places and I have less lag.  I dunno why or if it's a coincidence with things moving to the cloud or what but I'd still like to do some tests on it.  

Go BOM if and when you have a real reason too, is my best opinion about the whole thing, because it's frustrating.  

If you edited your shape for your new head, this is probably the cause of your hair not fitting.  Did you use a copy of your strawberry shape when starting with your new one?  If so, check to see that the head shapes are the same size and especially forehead slope (not inworld so not sure what it's called).  Nothing about BOM would cause your hair not to fit.  Only a change in your head numbers.

Thankyou ladies for replying.

While i have been BOM for several months earlier this year.. (so its not a case of me not wanting to learn) lol.. i know how. I just dont find all the layers user friendly inventory wise.. 

I just like a clean simple hud to open with previews of what im actually applying. I find "bom makeup01" "bom makeup02" just so confusing..because it doesnt Show me the shade im applying.. not only that it makes me "currently wearing" tab so much bigger and im forever going through different folders to remove layers rather than a single head HUD ..and then theres the issue of me saving my outfits and it saves the specific skin colour or makeup shade..and then im changing the outfit slot to a style that may be more new... so.. lol.. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, xBaeBeex said:

Thankyou ladies for replying.

While i have been BOM for several months earlier this year.. (so its not a case of me not wanting to learn) lol.. i know how. I just dont find all the layers user friendly inventory wise.. 

I just like a clean simple hud to open with previews of what im actually applying. I find "bom makeup01" "bom makeup02" just so confusing..because it doesnt Show me the shade im applying.. not only that it makes me "currently wearing" tab so much bigger and im forever going through different folders to remove layers rather than a single head HUD ..and then theres the issue of me saving my outfits and it saves the specific skin colour or makeup shade..and then im changing the outfit slot to a style that may be more new... so.. lol.. 

This with numbers I agree, it why I normally add a notecard to folder with numbers written in and what colour each number is so then can open notecard then choose the colour I would like to wear however would love designers to do picture with numbers on but notecard way works too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.