How many days before rolling restart happens for sl its safe to rez no copy items?

michelogi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To be truthful it is never completely safe to rez no copy items. Hence why some folks only buy copy items. 

One thing you CAN do is to "add" the no copy item and it will attach to your right hand. Then you can detach it. This let's you know that the database at least knows there is an item that is yours and has found it. 

I am pretty sure that all or at least most folks that have been around SL awhile have lost no copy items over the years. Sometime they return when you log in next, sometime the next day, sometimes a few days later and sometimes NEVER. So you need to be emotionally prepared for that :D.    

Also if you need to have a group tag to rez BE SURE IT IS ON because that is the easiest way to lose no copy items. 

2 hours ago, michelogi said:

Yes but sometimes the no copy items are preferably made just to rez, like for farming

Yes, but I have never found a REZ item that couldn't be added to TEST. That was my point :D.   Do the farming items give you an error message when you try to add?   I'm going to let you work on this, but my point was that adding was a way to TEST to see if the database could find the object. Sometimes it simply can't. 

I believe the warnings about not rezzing no copy items only apply to the actual day of the rolling restart, and those are generally done fairly early. The reason for that warning, is that sometime before the region is updated, a full copy is made that includes all items rezzed at that point in time. When the region is restarted, which could be sometime later, it is that copy that is restored, so any no copy item that was rezzed after the copy, would be lost. 

14 hours ago, michelogi said:

There is always a notification for the rollback..

but this is something totally different .. a rollback is certainly not the same as the weekly restart. A Rollback is only done for a "damaged" region to reinstall a previous state and is normally very rare, for most regions even never needed.

Taking your previous question in mind ... for normal restarts (weekly) you do nót need to take op non copy items.

18 hours ago, michelogi said:

Yes but sometimes the no copy items are preferably made just to rez, like for farming

I did G&S farming for over a year, and never had an issue from the weekly rolling restarts with losing any of the no-copy items that were rezzed out. 

23 hours ago, Moira Timmerman said:

never had an issue from the weekly rolling restarts with losing any of the no-copy items that were rezzed out. 

this whole thread is based on misunderstanding. "refrain from rezzing non copy" around rolling restarts  ( NOT rollback) does not mean non copy items have to be taken up. It means you should not add NEW non copy items out during the restarts.
Also the use of rolling restart and Rollback as the same is wrong.

I checked the notice currently on the status page.

This week it gives a date for the restarts, but not a time.

That's a bit careless of the Lindens. But if they're not bothering to give a start time, can we assume one? They do usually give a warning with an hour to run but maybe that isn't kept visible.

Screenshot_2020-06-23_17-52-10.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.