Want to create your own objects for sl?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone want to create your own assets for use in sl, such as a unique avatar, or unique house or clothes or other items. Well you can either buy premade items which might fit what you want or you could make them yourself and then have all the power and control over how they look and feel and what they can do. A great way of doing this is using something like blender to create the items and then import them in to sl. Have little or no skills 3-editing and making things. well there are lots of tutorials out there that can help you learn. such as this one

so dont give up and just accept something from the mp. be different, be unique, make it yourself and save yourself the lindens. it may seem hard or impossible or daunting at first but so does just about any new project started. Just keep trying and learning and soon you will have a secondlife that is truly your own.

• Like 4

Thank you thank you thank you!

I want to created potted plants - well, plants in pots - mimicking some of the wild natural plants we have here. Was going to look for blender tutorials and still will but here is an intro.

Thank you.

I know it can done as I have seen some absolutely wonderful detailed plants around the world.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pipfrosch said:

I want to created potted plants - well, plants in pots - mimicking some of the wild natural plants we have here. Was going to look for blender tutorials and still will but here is an intro.

Thank you.

I know it can done as I have seen some absolutely wonderful detailed plants around the world.

It is very important to understand that many (the vast majority) of tutorials for Blender are NOT teaching you methods that work in Second Life. So while you will undoubtedly learn some important things from these videos (I skimmed through part ond and two of the top one) they can also lead you far astray of what you actually need to know for Second Life creating. Blender does SO MUCH more than the small part we use for game assets on this platform === so just keep that in mind and good luck.   

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

It is very important to understand that many (the vast majority) of tutorials for Blender are NOT teaching you methods that work in Second Life. So while you will undoubtedly learn some important things from these videos (I skimmed through part ond and two of the top one) they can also lead you far astray of what you actually need to know for Second Life creating. Blender does SO MUCH more than the small part we use for game assets on this platform === so just keep that in mind and good luck.   

while this is true it does give someone a good starting point to begin at.  learning the basics of using blender can help. And it can even make using the inworld building tools easier too, for what is learned for blender with a little reflection can be turned inward for inworld game editing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pipfrosch said:

Thank you.

a few simple examples there are lots more out there.

• Like 3

Another way to create is to learn Photoshop and make your own textures.  You can also take parts from different full perm kits and make them into something unique too.  You can unlink the full perm kits and make an entirely new creation.  There are some things we don't need to make unless it's really unique.  

For example, you show potted plants @Drakonadrgora Darkfold in this thread.   There are tons of full perm pots you can use, you just need to really learn to make an interesting texture to make it unique for what you want by using Photoshop.   Why take all that time to make a bunch of potting pots when you can use tons of items for planters from full perm kits?  

Also, some people make some good models but they don't know how to make good textures.  Their textures are lifeless and passionless and sometimes shoddy work.  It is important to learn Photoshop skills.  As a matter of fact, I think it's more important to learn to make good textures and to work with AO's then to start with making 3D models because if you don't have good textures, it's most likely not going to have any life to it and it will end up in the 1 linden bin.   

The one thing about some 3D models you can buy ready made is the seams are a problem.  Some seams are difficult to work for teacups and teapots for example on an AO.   I'd like to find a good model maker who will show me a texture on their example and show me the seams work okay.  

But, my point really is, why take all that time to make pots or whatever when there are already tons you can use and you don't have to spend all the time?  Just making a unique texture in Photoshop makes it a personal creation, imo, and I didn't have to spend all that time making a pot.  

Snapshot_1131.png

Snapshot_1134.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

the point is.. why pay for something if you can make it yourself and have complete control over it at that point. and the skills learned from making the original item can be used for other things later down the road. make your own avatar, car, house, boat..etc.. become your own creator and sell your items..

yes learning skinning and texturing is important but that can all be learned while using blender as well. And you dont need photoshop.. you could use a free program like krita or gimp to do most the same things that photoshop can.

part of spending the time is the journey of learning something new that may lead to other things over time. its not a waste of time if you learn something new.

why be lazy and just use what is already made by someone else. why pay someone else for their work and not try and learn to do it yourself instead.

the example above was just lowpoly plants for quick simple use in a larger scene with little impact on rendering time.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

the point is.. why pay for something if you can make it yourself and have complete control over it at that point. and the skills learned from making the original item can be used for other things later down the road. make your own avatar, car, house, boat..etc.. become your own creator and sell your items..

yes learning skinning and texturing is important but that can all be learned while using blender as well. And you dont need photoshop.. you could use a free program like krita or gimp to do most the same things that photoshop can.

part of spending the time is the journey of learning something new that may lead to other things over time. its not a waste of time if you learn something new.

why be lazy and just use what is already made by someone else. why pay someone else for their work and not try and learn to do it yourself instead.

the example above was just lowpoly plants for quick simple use in a larger scene with little impact on rendering time.

I don't see it as lazy.  I think I made my own creation out of 3D pot models and didn't have to spend the time to learn both just by making my own unique textures that only I can make.  Learning Photoshop skills is a lot of work, and I mean a lot of work, as I am sure 3D modeling is also a lot of work.  

Also, I take apart model kits and re-arrange them into something else entirely and it saved me years of time and it's fun as well as rewarding to learn all the creative things one can do with Photoshop.  I sometimes use three photo editing programs to get a texture I want as programs don't all have the same features.  So, it's a lot of work just to do textures.  I don't think my pots which I show above, which look like ordinary everyday pots you can buy in real life, need to be made again since I can just buy a 3D gray model pot with AO/UV and there are tons of other 3D pots available that look pretty much the same because it's a basic everyday pot - that's what they look like.   It's already available and done - saved me tons of time.  Time is money.

The other thing is, most of us will never get to the quality level of say Nomad, Anc or Dust Bunny, so those of us average ordinary people are going to work our arses off just to make average stuff compared to those kinds of creators.  There are people who create for SL who look like they've had years of schooling - just go look at Nomad and you will see what I mean.

One thing to remember is most likely the average builder will not make a lot of money.  We, as the hobbyists, better do it because we love it.  And, that's a reason to do it whether it's 3D modeling or making your own textures - because we love it.  

I put a lot of work learning how to make those textures.  It most definitely was not laziness that created the detail in the textures I show above.  

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't see it as lazy.  I think I made my own creation out of 3D pot models and didn't have to spend the time to learn both just by making my own unique textures that only I can make.  Learning Photoshop skills is a lot of work, and I mean a lot of work, as I am sure 3D modeling is also a lot of work.  

Also, I take apart model kits and re-arrange them into something else entirely and it saved me years of time and it's fun as well as rewarding to learn all the creative things one can do with Photoshop.  I sometimes use three photo editing programs to get a texture I want as programs don't all have the same features.  So, it's a lot of work just to do textures.  I don't think my pots which I show above, which look like ordinary everyday pots you can buy in real life, need to be made again since I can just buy a 3D gray model pot with AO/UV and there are tons of other 3D pots available that look pretty much the same because it's a basic everyday pot - that's what they look like.   It's already available and done - saved me tons of time.  Time is money.

The other thing is, most of us will never get to the quality level of say Nomad, Anc or Dust Bunny, so those of us average ordinary people are going to work our arses off just to make average stuff compared to those kinds of creators.  There are people who create for SL who look like they've had years of schooling - just go look at Nomad and you will see what I mean.

One thing to remember is most likely the average builder will not make a lot of money.  We, as the hobbyists, better do it because we love it.  And, that's a reason to do it whether it's 3D modeling or making your own textures - because we love it.  

I put a lot of work learning how to make those textures.  It most definitely was not laziness that created the detail in the textures I show above.  

my point was why use what was already made by someone else. learn and create your own, in what ever manner it means. and yes it takes some time to learn 3-d modeling and to get good at it.

you can have just as much fun learning to create the items yourself as using someone elses work and tinkering with it.

time is not money to everyone, time is time.. its only money if you plan on trying to sell it.. even then it takes an investment in time to learn new skills and should not just be discouraged because its easier to use something someone else already made.

why copy-paste from someone else when you can have the experience of making it yourself and the feelings of satisfaction that can give to some people.

but at the same time you dont have to worry what anyone else thinks about your work as your learning. you dont need outside validation if it makes you happy. who cares if anyone else thinks its shoddy work at first. you keep trying until it looks how you want, not how someone else thinks it should look.

why settle for one aspect, why not try it all and figure out what you are good at and even maybe try and improve what you are not good at. its the journey that matters, not always the end results.

it sounds like you are a little self judgmental and worry what others will say about your work when you shouldn't be if your just doing it for fun.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

my point was why use what was already made by someone else. learn and create your own, in what ever manner it means. and yes it takes some time to learn 3-d modeling and to get good at it.

you can have just as much fun learning to create the items yourself as using someone elses work and tinkering with it.

time is not money to everyone, time is time.. its only money if you plan on trying to sell it.. even then it takes an investment in time to learn new skills and should not just be discouraged because its easier to use something someone else already made.

why copy-paste from someone else when you can have the experience of making it yourself and the feelings of satisfaction that can give to some people.

but at the same time you dont have to worry what anyone else thinks about your work as your learning. you dont need outside validation if it makes you happy. who cares if anyone else thinks its shoddy work at first. you keep trying until it looks how you want, not how someone else thinks it should look.

why settle for one aspect, why not try it all and figure out what you are good at and even maybe try and improve what you are not good at. its the journey that matters, not always the end results.

it sounds like you are a little self judgmental and worry what others will say about your work when you shouldn't be if your just doing it for fun.

I agree with try everything.  I tried Blender.  It's tedious.   Photoshop is really fun and you can be very creative with it is my point.  I spent 20 dollars on a Photoshop program on Ebay that came with a serial number.  It's an awesome program!  I tried GIMP and it wasn't for me.  Photoshop I took too like a duck to water.   

What I'm trying to impress upon some people is that if you want to really be good, learn how to make textures too because I do notice a lot of model makers don't make good textures.  Some do both very, very well - another one is DRD (Death Row Designs).  There aren't going to be too many hobbyists that will get to the level of DRD.  

But, mostly definitely, I don't see it as lazy if a person uses what already exists because my point is your ordinary every day potting pot looks the same whether I make it or 2000 full perm 3D models of potting pots already exist.  

If people want to control the polygon count, I can see that but don't forget to learn to make good and exciting textures, because to me, that's really where the exciting part is, the texturing.   

EDIT:  I also wanted to say that there are some very popular designers who do use part full perm items.  I could show you one, Drakona in IM and they are making a lot of money using full perm parts but you'd never know it because their textures are so amazing.  

Sent IM.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.