Can Not Get ANY Sound

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First let me say that while I am a longtime and competent user, I am not a nuts and bolts techie. I have been using Firestorm for years without any real issues or problems. But yesterday they ended support for their 32-bit Linux viewer so it no longer will work for me. So last night I downloaded the SL Linux viewer and while it is VERY different and is going to take me a while to get used to, it seems to work fine. With one exception.

I do not get ANY sound. Nothing. No music. No ambient sound. No sound effects. No streams. Just silence.

As I say I am not an expert, but I did what I could think of. I updated my (Nvidia) driver. I looked at Preferences/Sound & Media and everything looked ok except that in Input/Output devices the drop down menu for selecting the output device was set to default (which should have been ok) and is greyed out. There is also a "Please wait" message that never resolves. I assume this means that for some reason the viewer can not see my audio output device. Sound was working fine in Firestorm last time I used it and is working perfectly well in all my other applications. It seems to be a problem only with the SL viewer. I also searched the Wiki and Forums for similar problems but they all are with Windows systems and not very helpful to me (or maybe they are and I just don't get it). One thing I did notice is that I have no SLplugin.exe files running. I always had 3 or 4 of these running when using Firestorm, so perhaps this is the problem? As with most client-side Linux systems I have minimal anti-virus protections and no firewall. So I cannot think what may be preventing these files from running.

And ideas or suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Sidney Pobieski said:

The latest LL viewer. I just downloaded it last night.

Second Life 5.0.9.329906 (Second Life Release)

You do understand that LL Viewer Version 5.0.9 is very old. (Released on November 17, 2017)

Since you are still on 32bit you should stick with Firestorm 6.0.2 32bit.

Just noticed that Firestorm 6.0.2 is "blocked for Second Life."

Since that's the last and most recent 32bit Linux client for Second Life i will show you how to re-enable it.

Open terminal and copy paste this command.

sed -i '/individually quoted./a cd > $(locate -l1 -r "/fsdata.xml$") && cd $(dirname $(locate -l1 -r "/firestorm$"))' $(locate -l1 -r "/firestorm$")

Now you can login like you did before but of course don't expect to get any support for it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.