Any word on 2fa?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I figured I'd see if any one knew when we could expect this and I hope they really do not lock it behind premium...  

I wouldn’t worry about that. The moment the lock it behind premium is the moment the entire forum erupts and the moment they back-pedal very quickly 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Why?

because really account protections should never be locked behind a paywall of any kind,  if you turn 2fa on, you turn it on for every one.   if not.  whats the point for those of us that are not ready or can be premium to retain membership?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Yeah, well, that's one side of the coin.

But I really meant the "why should the entire forum erupt" part...

because of the outrage that security is implemented for a type of account type, instead of across the field, you want to see a storm,  yeah it would happen and be every thing on the forum. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure I follow the logic about mass complaints, it seems to me if you have two levels of service, one basic and free but the other offering value for a payment, those people giving details of themselves to pay for the service would expect some extra level of protection just because of the increased risk of exposure to fraud?

For many (most?) people, the more hoops they have to jump through to log in, the less likely they are to log in. Then there are those who don't log in from anywhere but home, although possibly on different devices depending on what room they are in.

Account security isn't something that should be charged for, it's part of the whole. 

Personally, as long as it is opt in, I'm ok with it. If they ever make it mandatory, that is a different story.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I figured I'd see if any one knew when we could expect this and I hope they really do not lock it behind premium...  

What is 2fa exactly?  Is it a type of user-known-only security such as a security question?

Edited by FairreLilette

If activated it should be allowed/choice for all not have to be paid for. if made mandatory it will make a lot of people upset.. especially those that play in inescapable rlv.. because then ll would have a way to catch who ever was breaking the tos by letting others log in to their accounts remotely or abroad at times.

Just now, FairreLilette said:

What is 2fa exactly?  Is it a type of user-known only security such as a security question?

two factor authentication aka 2fa. usually uses a captcha or authenticator app to confirm you are the person logging in. it can be just a extra question or it can be a call/text to a phone.. or an email with a link that has to be clicked each time.

google authenticator is one such app. only the user who sets it up has access to the code it gives, making it very hard to spoof or hack an account with it active.

1 minute ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

two factor authentication aka 2fa. usually uses a captcha or authenticator app to confirm you are the person logging in. it can be just a extra question or it can be a call/text to a phone.. or an email with a link that has to be clicked each time.

google authenticator is one such app. only the user who sets it up has access to the code it gives, making it very hard to spoof or hack an account with it active.

okies, thankies.  I don't text on a cell phone, so they need to provide an email link too if it becomes mandatory.  I text on my desktop only as it's a bigger viewing space.  I will not ever text on a phone.  

The thing is I read the other day that the United States will no longer be allowing any online right to privacy.  It is the law now, no right to online privacy.  This is not part of that is it?  

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

okies, thankies.  I don't text on a cell phone, so they need to provide an email link too if it becomes mandatory.  I text on my desktop only as it's a bigger viewing space.  I will not ever text on a phone.  

The thing is I read the other day that the United States will no longer be allowing any online right to privacy.  It is the law now, no right to online privacy.  This is not part of that is it?  

no. 2fa is about privacy and protection of your account from hacking, but yes with 2fa they can have other ways to now track who you are by what device/app/method you use for 2fa.

2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

no. 2fa is about privacy and protection of your account from hacking, but yes with 2fa they can have other ways to now track who you are by what device/app/method you use for 2fa.

I do not mind losing my right to privacy.  I don't care if someone is watching me buy shoes or lip gloss.  It is nothing that concerns me.  If 2fa provides ways to track us by what device, etc...then I have a feeling it will be mandatory and not cost anything because it's the law now.  

12 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I don't think it will be a pay for thing if it does end up mandatory which my guess is it will be mandatory.    

I think it's related to the end of online privacy in the United States.  It probably has to do with making sure businesses are charging the appropriate sales tax online and other certain issues, but I'd say the most reason the government is ending online privacy is to avoid those involved with tax evasion plus other illegalities.

Edited by FairreLilette

18 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Securing accounts is something that benefits users and Linden Lab. It's in everyone's interest for it to be available to everyone, not stuck behind a paywall.

the only real concern is if it will be mandatory or optional. i for one would like to see it implemented in sl its been far to long that a service like sl has not had it to begin with. any service that deals with rl information or payment information should have 2fa by default.. to protect its users.

31 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I do not mind losing my right to privacy.  I don't care if someone is watching me buy shoes or lip gloss.  It is nothing that concerns me. 

That’s my entire view on surveillance. If they want to watch my boring ass life then more power to them. They really must have ran out of things to do 😂. “What do you reckon MI6 the red dress or the blue dress, I just can’t decide”

47 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

If activated it should be allowed/choice for all not have to be paid for. if made mandatory it will make a lot of people upset.. especially those that play in inescapable rlv.. because then ll would have a way to catch who ever was breaking the tos by letting others log in to their accounts remotely or abroad at times.

The ToS has been changed to say that you are responsible for what happens on your account regardless of who is using it. In other words, allow someone else to use your account and that person breaks ToS, it's your account that gets the axe, not the person who was using your account. You.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The ToS has been changed to say that you are responsible for what happens on your account regardless of who is using it. In other words, allow someone else to use your account and that person breaks ToS, it's your account that gets the axe, not the person who was using your account. You.

hmm. must have missed that change. thank you for letting me know about it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

That’s my entire view on surveillance. If they want to watch my boring ass life then more power to them. They really must have ran out of things to do 😂. “What do you reckon MI6 the red dress or the blue dress, I just can’t decide”

Yeah, me too, it's going to be quite dull as far as my online activity, but like I just wrote in my post above I think the main reason for the end of online privacy is the government will be looking for those involved in tax evasion.  Many retail businesses are saying they are bankrupt now from Covid-19 and will not be re-opening their stores, and want to go online only now.    

Edited by FairreLilette

5 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

because really account protections should never be locked behind a paywall of any kind,  if you turn 2fa on, you turn it on for every one.   if not.  whats the point for those of us that are not ready or can be premium to retain membership?

It's just the way some mmos try to force you to upgrade or subscribe mate. Take Star Wars: The Old Republic for example. You have to subscribe in order to have 2FA and if you unsubscribe with out turning it off then you have to reup your sub basically just to turn it off. In the end I personally found 2FA is more of an annoyance then it is actually a help. I don't really care if they add it as long as it's not a forced thing like some companies have done.😎

22 minutes ago, Velk Kerang said:

It's just the way some mmos try to force you to upgrade or subscribe mate. Take Star Wars: The Old Republic for example. You have to subscribe in order to have 2FA and if you unsubscribe with out turning it off then you have to reup your sub basically just to turn it off. In the end I personally found 2FA is more of an annoyance then it is actually a help. I don't really care if they add it as long as it's not a forced thing like some companies have done.😎

What if it is forced/mandatory is my question to you? 

To me:  It sounds like a good option to protect our banking info.  The United States is ending any right to online privacy according to our Congress.  The United States cannot afford hackers that would/could steal credit card numbers or tax evaders.  Our banks could be bankrupt, and bankrupt banks could be the same the world over due to Covid-19.  I think there are going to be changes to internet use going forward due to the loss to the right of online privacy in the USA now. 

Edited by FairreLilette

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

What if it is forced/mandatory is my question to you? 

To me:  It sounds like a good option to protect our banking info.  The United States is ending any right to online privacy according to our Congress.  The United States cannot afford hackers that would/could steal credit card numbers or tax evaders.  Our banks could be bankrupt, and bankrupt banks could be the same the world over.  I think there are going to be changes to internet use going forward due to the loss to the right of online privacy in the USA now. 

Oh well personally I'd probably quit in a heart beat if I were being totally honest. Try to anyway. lol Because that would be my first impulse reaction. lol The reality of what will more then likely happen though is my SL wife would probably talk me out of it though. lol I look at it like this. I've been around since the birth of the internet as I am sure a lot of us have and I have never once had a problem handling my own online security. I don't see a reason why I need to have somebody else do it for me now. So it'd be more of an issue of logging online even less then I already do now. If I am not on with her doing family stuff or what ever else I am usually helping someone with something and when I am not doing either of those things if I do bother to log on I generally log in with a text viewer to check up on friends and see how they are doing. I have a chin wag for a bit and leave basically. That's my exciting routine of Second Life. lol To get back on topic though I don't have a problem if they add it. Just don't try to force it on me because I'd be even less inclined to spend money here then I already am. I just want it to be my choice whether or not to use it is all I am really saying. 😎

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.