HAPPY JUNETEENTH & THE PROGRESS OF BLM

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

31 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Brad Parscale, Trump's campaign manager, is trying to spin it that violent protestors prevented people from attending the rally. Total lie. There has been no violence, and only the one arrest mentioned previously. I predict Parscale will get fired over this one.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 6/20/2020 at 11:08 AM, Moira Timmerman said:

The city I live in has announced this week that the City Council approved a review of the City's policies and practices to achieve greater equality along with a plan for community engagement after our Mayor recently signed the My Brothers Keeper Pledge.  

Step 1: The City Council will adopt a resolution condemning racism, inviting the community to share their experiences with fellow community members, and making the My Brother’s Keeper pledge with respect to police use of force policies.

Step 2: Conduct a series of listening sessions to collect stories and experiences from our residents of unequal or unfair City policies and practices. The meetings should be combined with other opportunities to share stories and experiences such as email, mail, and social media platforms. Seek out leaders of the Black, Latinx, Asian, Pacific Islander, and Native American communities to gain input and hear experiences regarding City policies and practices.

Step 3: Document the stories and experiences and input from Step 2 and publish a report for community review.

Step 4: Reform policies found to be causing an unequal or unfair experience.

i could be wrong but from this, it seems the City Council is going to make a statement, then establish a community listening  process, then publish a report, then reform police procedures based on the report

i get the optics appeal of this for the elected representatives, but suggest writing to the City Council and ask them why their press release doesn't appear to mention that the My Brothers Keeper Pledge is to simultaneously review the current use of police procedures while also engaging in community feedback

it shouldn't require the completion of a public feedback reporting process before the Council does anything

a Council should always be consulting with its community on an ongoing basis. So I would ask them why (based on the press release) this doesn't appear to be the case going forward

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

79FCD216-9F73-43C9-8137-77C010E166E9.jpeg

i like this person

i can't find a link to it but I remember reading a story Jesse Jackson tells about when he was campaigning to be US President back in the day

addresses a public campaign meeting in a remote rural area. Not many people attended, mostly black people and some fewer white people. Not a lot of feedback, just people hearing him out politely

after the meeting he gets approached by an older white farmer. Farmer says that he agrees with a lot of what Mr Jackson has spoken about, but can't find it in himself to vote for Mr Jackson, him being a black man.  Mr Jackson thanks the farmer for making the time to come and listen. They shake hands. As they go to separate the farmer says: Mr Jackson please don't give up on us (us meaning the farmer and white people like him)

Jesse Jackson carried this thought with him ever after. Never give up on people

when Barack Obama got elected Mr Jackson re-told this story, recognising that the farmer and people like him, eventually found it themselves to vote for a black man because they agreed with what the black man, Barack Obama, was saying

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i like this person

i can't find a link to it but I remember reading a story Jesse Jackson tells about when he was campaigning to be US President back in the day

addresses a public campaign meeting in a remote rural area. Not many people attended, mostly black people and some fewer white people. Not a lot of feedback, just people hearing him out politely

after the meeting he gets approached by an older white farmer. Farmer says that he agrees with a lot of what Mr Jackson has spoken about, but can't find it in himself to vote for Mr Jackson, him being a black man.  Mr Jackson thanks the farmer for making the time to come and listen. They shake hands. As they go to separate the farmer says: Mr Jackson please don't give up on us (us meaning the farmer and white people like him)

Jesse Jackson carried this thought with him ever after. Never give up on people

when Barack Obama got elected Mr Jackson re-told this story, recognising that the farmer and people like him, eventually found it themselves to vote for a black man because they agreed with what the black man, Barack Obama, was saying

I liked it as well.  I saw it on Twitter- there wasn’t any additional information given- but I thought the picture said enough.  🤗

Times they are a-changing.

Finally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i could be wrong but from this, it seems the City Council is going to make a statement, then establish a community listening  process, then publish a report, then reform police procedures based on the report

i get the optics appeal of this for the elected representatives, but suggest writing to the City Council and ask them why their press release doesn't appear to mention that the My Brothers Keeper Pledge is to simultaneously review the current use of police procedures while also engaging in community feedback

it shouldn't require the completion of a public feedback reporting process before the Council does anything

a Council should always be consulting with its community on an ongoing basis. So I would ask them why (based on the press release) this doesn't appear to be the case going forward

Those are valid comments. 

What I had quoted was only a part of the communication sent out.  I had interpreted it as two somewhat separate items - a review of policies and practices,  and the plan for increased community involvement.    

I think the public feedback will result in additional things being addressed, that the Council may not have previously realized needed changing - particularly about more subtle types of harassment and/or discrimination that people of color experience from law enforcement on an ongoing basis. In a perfect world, city councils and police agencies would be consulting with the community on an ongoing basis, resulting in ongoing fine-tuning/modifying of policies, but it's not a perfect world and my little town isn't the only city where there has been a disconnect between public perceptions of police policies, or other city policies, and actual changes of policies and procedures.  I see these steps as an acknowledgment of that, and of the need to work on improving that feedback/fine-tuning of policies and procedures loop, and would hope that is something that will be continued and built on into the future. 

• Thanks 1

All rightey then. So ok. New day. New song to start your day off with even. Let's see how many of you will actually stay on topic today. Please no more private messages folks. I know your fans, but I can't go out with you. Not gonna happen. 😎

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Haha 1

As someone in Europe, not having the whole picture, I haven't commented about this topic, apart from a post to show my support to those suffering discrimation, and taking part in the concentrations in Spain. However, since my country has woke up with the heartbreaking picture of our beloved Don Miguel de Cervantes being insulted, I wanted to leave a few comments (sorry if my English is not perfect), I don't think many understand what he represents to us.

I consider all human beings are equal and deserve the same rights, and I do deeply admire the struggle and work of black community, just claiming rights anyone should have. But it is sad to see how some radicals (who do not represent this movement at all) decide to destroy cultural images and fill the country with rage and anger. Cervantes is much more than a writer to my country, so much more I cannot put it in words. Not to mention his pieces are also a social denoucement of the hard conditions many people were living in back then. He actually gave the world the masterpiece of El Quijote, the story of an idealist trying to make this world a better place, who ends up beaten up by reality. 

Violence is not the way to achieve things, it just leads to more violence, and it doesnt represent the human rights movement, it is just the excuse many radicals take to let their inner conflicts scape. And I do hope this is not the progress of BLM,, they do not deserve it. 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Elena Core said:

But it is sad to see how some radicals (who do not represent this movement at all) decide to destroy cultural images and fill the country with rage and anger.

Violence is not the way to achieve things, it just leads to more violence, and it doesnt represent the human rights movement, it is just the excuse many radicals take to let their inner conflicts scape. And I do hope this is not the progress of BLM,, they do not deserve it. 

At this point we're not even sure the violent elements are perpetrated by BLM and others protesting in the name of Black freedom. There are other groups involved in these marches, both griefers and extremist groups who want to ruin the movement -- some of these groups may even be connected with the GOP.  Take a look at this article:
  https://truthout.org/articles/armed-extremist-groups-arent-lone-wolves-they-were-galvanized-by-the-gop/

Even if some of the violence is actually done by BLM group members or others involved in the cause for Black equality I am willing to accept this without labeling the whole movement as bad. This is because I understand human nature and what can happen to people when they experience a lifetime of pain and oppression -- some are able to keep their cool while others can't -- not all people handle being hurt in the same way.
Some people, when facing their pain, are able to respond in a mature way. But others will attempt to extract revenge and become destructive when these marches increase power through their intensity and bring awareness of being so wronged throughout life.

I'm not condoning the violent elements, and personally I would rather not see any violence at these protests. But nothing in life is perfect, and as long as a major good is being done with these marches I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater -- I will allow some imperfection in the movement.

16 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Dear god, Luna! You could at least hide that behind a spoiler tag for those of us who get nauseated by the sight of his face!

Christ, that is an ugly man. Is that what it looks like when a body rots from the inside out?

I am so sorry Beth...I hope you had the Pepto-Bismol nearby...lol.

14 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

The black people have been celebrating this for years.   I must have missed your post last year about it. SINCE 1980

Not exactly sure why the title "HAPPY JUNETEENTH AND THE PROGRESS OF BLM" would be offensive.
Well wishes (Happy Juneteenth) for any celebratory day are always nice. Plus, those who knew about Juneteenth would most likely be aware that BLM protests have indeed increased awareness of Juneteenth. And those who found the word Juneteenth confusing might look it up to see what it is. So it's a win-win all around, except for those unfortunate souls who like to find fault with the BLM in any way they can.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

@Sylvia Tamalyn   @Pixie Kobichenko

Glad you are all safe in the Tulsa area...

Thank you! It was so encouraging to see how it all unfolded, from the sad rally attendance numbers to the nearby peaceful protesting, when you consider how wrong it could have gone.

Trump's staff (OK, Stephen Miller, no doubt) must have set this up hoping to provoke violence by scheduling a rally so close to the Greenwood District in Tulsa (where the 1921 race massacre happened) on Juneteenth. It was awesome to see their little plot fail miserably, especially in a deep red state, though I'm still not happy that all these probably virus-laden morons came here in the first place.

I'd call it a "win" for BLM and Juneteenth, for sure. :) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

@Sylvia Tamalyn   @Pixie Kobichenko

Glad you are all safe in the Tulsa area...

Thank you.  I watched the day, evening news coverage  leading Into the rally & then almost all of the rally before getting tired of asking myself when was he going to cover goals for a second term.  
Then I saw on tv a Juneteenth street party held in Greenwood around two am.

Then on Twitter, I read about & saw video of a 3%er armed militia called the Cowboys who was very armed and on the streets downtown  in Tulsa at the same time.  Seems my fears regarding that FB thread I posted were legit.  
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1274559500503130112?

https://cowboysmc.wixsite.com/cowboys-mc

So were they around because of the one solitary arrest, that they thought police might not be equipped to handle?  Or were they sticking around with their guns because the street party might you know, be too happy?  Or maybe they were just there to rile people up.

editing further—

Twitter is like a choose your own adventure book.  Take one thread & miss so much.  Here they are during the day.  It wasn’t just after the rally that they were out.  

& in this video “You ain’t having fun till they call 911.”  But by all means.  arrest the unarmed woman wearing the shirt that said I can’t breathe.  It really drives home who poses a threat.  🧐

E8D5D45E-8E24-4802-A5E2-EE363D0600A4.jpeg

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 3

I really did love what this thread could of been. On the positive I've seen some beautiful posts that have thoroughly touched my heart and eyes to tear up. I've seen posts that have provoked deep thought, encouraged study and caused my heart to ache. I've learned. This was only a small portion of what I've witnessed though.

What I've also witnessed over the last four or five days of reading through different threads is people accusing others of being racist just because they have a differing opinion or they dare tread lines another feels shouldn't be tread upon. I have seen name calling and insults from forum members I have a lot of respect for and it hurts my heart because things shouldn't be this way. Perhaps remember that others are going to have different views other than our own. There will be questions, statements and opinions we may not agree with, but is it right to accuse others of being racist like a racist would so easily throw around racial slurs? I ask this in earnestness because this is what I see from my own small perspective. Just as everyone else here will also have their own small perspective to see from. I hope each of our own life perspectives have room to grow.

I will say this from a perspective of a girl appearing white, but who is by birth half Irish/half Cuban. One whose birth sister is as dark skinned as I am light. Her and I weren't raised in the same household since I was adopted so I claim to be nothing I'm not. I will treat others how I wish to be treated and how they overall treat me. If I get treated with respect, I will always repay that in kind. If someone feels the need to be abusive, they may get a sharp retort before they are completely ignored since they are a waste of my time. No matter what their background.

I'm not going to pretend to fully understand what others go through. I think it is shortsighted and ignorant to do so. What I will do is try to learn and help where I can. I will say that no matter what background a person is from bad behavior isn't acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated. That is a good way to keep our world divided. Bad behavior is bad behavior. None of it is acceptable. Actions will always speak louder than words.

Sadly, I think I'm just done even following this conversation I was hoping would actually reach some positive outcome. :(

I do wish all of you the best and please take care of yourselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Discussing  anti-black racism isn’t meant to be a positive experience. It’s also not meant to make anyone, primarily non-blacks, feel comfortable or at ease. The feeling of unease means it’s working. It’s making people who hadn’t before really question their motives and everything about themselves that they’ve might have ignored before. Some people aren’t ready for that conversation.

Most people are not ready for that sort of conversation as it smacks of the sort of judgementalism that is prevalent of some fundamentalist religions without any savior to atone for the sins of white privilege ...except to donate to BLM.

I've been enjoying some talks by John McWhorter discussing how the modern anti-racist movement is religious in nature and is in fact hurting the very people it is supposed to be helping.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The 75-year-old protester who was shoved by Buffalo police officers sustained a brain injury and will now have to acclimatize to a 'new normal,' attorney says

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/buffalo-police-officers-shove-martin-gugino-brain-injury-2020-6

• Martin Gugino, 75, was shoved by officers in Buffalo, New York, during a June 4 protest. He lost balance, fell backward onto the footpath, and began bleeding from his ear.
  • “As heartbreaking as it is, his brain is injured and he is well aware of that now,” Martin Gugino’s lawyer Kelly V. Zarcone told NBC News.
  • WKBW reported that Gugino’s skull was fractured in the fall.
  • Gugino can’t walk, but has begun physical therapy and “is looking forward to healing and determining what his ‘new normal’ might look like,” Zarcone said.
  • The Buffalo Police Department originally said that Gugino was “injured when he tripped and fell.” Since then, two policemen have been charged with second-degree assault.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Most people are not ready for that sort of conversation as it smacks of the sort of judgementalism that is prevalent of some fundamentalist religions without any savior to atone for the sins of white privilege ...except to donate to BLM.

I've been enjoying some talks by John McWhorter discussing how the modern anti-racist movement is religious in nature and is in fact hurting the very people it is supposed to be helping.

I’m sure a lot of white people would agree with the Tom in the video, tbh.

Edit: Okay, so let me explain why I wrote the above comment. This dude is supposed to be so educated and such, but what he fails to mention is black people don’t disproportionately kill blacks and a higher number than any other race. People are more likely to commit crime to people they know or within their communities. Therefore, a large congregation of blacks will result in more black people committing crimes against each other and the same can be applied for all other races as well.

Yes, there are white people who have been killed by cops and I’m not saying it’s right either. But, best believe those people still benefitted from a white supremacist infrastructure at the end of the day. Let’s keep it 100. 

How is being anti-racist bad? How is it hurting black people collectively if we bring ourselves to be more outspoken against racism? I dunno, the whole video rubbed me the wrong way.

Edit 2: I’m just tired of this media scrutiny against black people or always painting us in such a negative way. And, even reading the comments people still enforce the stereotypes including other black people. Black people don’t just stare down educated black people and call them Aunt/Uncle Tom’s for no reason or because they’re educated. It’s a lot of black people who are like that they think they’re so much better then the rest. And then you have non-blacks who will use someone like that as an exception because they already have that prejudice. Then you have the black person who is that exception thinking they’re better because they want that approval. Dunno everything is so messed up and I’ll probably talk about it on my Twitter, but I just don’t understand things sometimes. 

Edited by Ashlyn Voir
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.