Nettiquette at clubs etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, been using 2L for few days now...

Last night after going for a long walk along a road and finding lots of interesting places I didn't even know to look for, I decided I wanted to dance so I ended up at Club Voodoo.

I couldn't hear any music but I knew it was playing, thinking I just didn't have the right streaming library (I'm on Linux - CentOS 7 to be specific) but it was still a lot of fan.

In chat it looked like people were from time to time giving a tip to the DJ as the DJ would say thank you but I couldn't figure out how they were doing that.

Eventually I left and went back to my rented skybox (I'm autistic, need a place to be by myself - even online) and then the music started playing and my avatar was still dancing so yeah - a bug in the FireStorm viewer for Linux.

But anyway, how does one tip at places like a dance floor where its free but its only enjoyable because someone with skill is making it happen?

And what are appropriate tips for that kind of thing?

Thank you for advice.

• Like 1

Hi Pipfrosch, welcome to Second Life.  🙂
It has a lot to sort & learn. 
DJs usually Rez their own tip jars, or log onto one near them.Many venues have hosts who will be able to help you if you IM them & ask where those items are. 
When you TP out while using an animation you triggered or started at a particular spot, if you do not go to the avatar menu on your viewer & go under health & select stop animations, you will indeed keep dancing.  

If flustered by that you can always just log out & back in again.

• Like 2

If there is not a tip jar (or you can't locate it), you can also right click on the DJ and choose "pay". This will give you a pop up box where you can put in the amount you wish to tip. 

As for how much to tip, that really varies depending on what you can afford, how much you enjoyed the set, how often you tip during a set, etc. It's not required that you tip, but the DJs appreciate it when you do! My guess is that L$100 would be average for a tip amount. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In your in-world "settings", go to "sound and media" find the "allow streaming music" and check mark it. You should hear music after that....anywhere you go that has it, lol. (can get annoying when shopping etc. just turn it off then back on again when you go to a club.)

Edited by Dano Seale
spelling
  • Like 1

I've run my own club in SL for several years; like nearly all clubs in SL it is free to enter but we rely on donations (tips) to keep going.  Most DJs and clubs use tipjars - not necessarily a jar, sometimes it's a board with the pic of the DJ or host on it, sometimes it's a quirky little object, it will usually have a bit of hovertext over it to say how much has been donated so far that session, and sometimes how much the last donation was and who paid it. 

There will usually be two or three tipjars; one for the DJ or singer, one for the venue itself and one for the host, if there is one. (The host is the person who greets everyone, offers to get them a group invite and makes other announcements pertaining to the event or the club. It's also the host's role to keep conversation going during the event and, if necessary, deal with troublemakers).  The tipjars for the DJ and Host will usually be located close to where they are standing. If you cant find them, a quick IM to the host to ask will be fine - that's exactly the kind of task they are getting paid for.

The amount of tips vary widely, from just a few L$ and upwards, though Sylvia is right; the average for a DJ is about L$100, and the average for hosts and for the venue itself is about half that (meaning generally that half as many people will tip the host as well as the DJ, but those who do, will tip about the same amount).  Some people like to tip in smaller amounts at intervals, say L$25 every half-hour; that way their tip reflects the length of time they stay in the club (and indirectly, how much they are enjoying it). 

Tipping isn't mandatory but it is definitely appreciated; as a club owner I get no other income to keep the club running and any shortfall in land fees and other expenses has to come from my own RL pockets. Likewise the DJ has their own expenses; most DJs rent a stream to broadcast with, and they also need to pay for legal downloads of the music they play, as well as for the time spent in putting together and presenting their playlist, finding request songs etc. As a club owner I would not be upset if someone new comes and does not tip. It's more important to me that they enjoy the music and the conversation, and come back again, maybe bring a friend next time. Perhaps next time you'll be able to afford to give a little, even if not this time.

Regarding the music not playing while you were at the club, sometimes you need to "toggle" (turn off and on again) your music player to pick up the new stream. If you can't hear it in-world, go to the World > About Land menu in the Sound tab, you can copy the stream url and paste it into your regular media player or even in your external browser.  Still dancing after you leave the club - that's because to stop dancing you need to click the dance machine again - sometimes there is a menu popup and you have to choose "Stop" and sometimes it just stops automatically. If you forget, and you're still dancing when you get home, try Me > Movement > Stop animating me from the menu at the top. That doesn't always work though; if it doesn't, you'll need to re-log.

• Like 7

Thank you, at this particular club the tip jars were pictures of the DJs under the platform where they were standing. I didn't find the host but I asked in the general chat and I quickly got an answer.

I agree that tips are important. In RL (what I call meat life) I run a Linux repository of RPM packages and get maybe $100 in donations maybe once a year but the cost far exceeds that, one year when I got the donation it was just after a crisis and I couldn't pay my rent but then the tip was there and I was able to. Tipping is important for free stuff of value.

Whatever the issue was isn't an issue now, it was first time I went to a place with streaming music and it is working now.

Asking for support is awkward because I run CentOS 7 but with an updated multimedia stack from packages I compiled myself so if there are issues it may be because of my own compile-time options etc. but it's all working now. I really think it was just a first use issue that only pops up when the service is first initialized. Those are hard to track down.

One possibility and I've had this happen before is on first use, pulseaudio sends streaming content to the soundcard built in to the video card instead of the USB soundcard built in to my headphones. That's a pulseaudio bug.

Edited by Pipfrosch
clarify

42 minutes ago, Pipfrosch said:

Whatever the issue was isn't an issue now, it was first time I went to a place with streaming music and it is working now.

Asking for support is awkward because I run CentOS 7 but with an updated multimedia stack from packages I compiled myself so if there are issues it may be because of my own compile-time options etc. but it's all working now. I really think it was just a first use issue that only pops up when the service is first initialized. Those are hard to track down.

One possibility and I've had this happen before is on first use, pulseaudio sends streaming content to the soundcard built in to the video card instead of the USB soundcard built in to my headphones. That's a pulseaudio bug.

There is always the FS support groups to ask for help. I doubt you are the only one running CentOS 7. It's possible but I doubt it. There is usually someone around that can at least point you in the right direction. 

Let's call in someone who is still on the team @Whirly Fizzle. Whirlz is Q&A and knows pretty much anything you need to know. I'm not sure how much Linux knowledge she has but she can point you in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

OP, there is no min or max on what your tip has to be to anyone in a club. I sometimes go and dont tip anything the entire time i am there. Sometimes I have tipped over 500$ if I really liked the dj and the music and the club. I have even tipped more if I made a request and they fulfilled it in a timely manner.. aka not making me wait several songs before hearing my request.

So dont feel like you have to tip any set amount.. you can tip as little as 1$l if you wish to just show support. dont feel like your obligated to tip any special amount for just being there.

You decide how much and when and why you tip no one else.

11 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Let's call in someone who is still on the team @Whirly Fizzle. Whirlz is Q&A and knows pretty much anything you need to know. I'm not sure how much Linux knowledge she has but she can point you in the right direction.

Sadly I'm pretty clueless about Linux.

@Pipfrosch
You sound pretty clued up about Linux.
I recommend you apply to be a Firestorm beta tester: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/beta_testing

This will give you access to Firestorm viewer builds before they are released.
It would be great to have you testing the beta builds, especially as you have a non-standard Linux distro.
You could also roll your own:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_compiling_firestorm

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Sadly I'm pretty clueless about Linux.

@Pipfrosch
You sound pretty clued up about Linux.
I recommend you apply to be a Firestorm beta tester: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/beta_testing

This will give you access to Firestorm viewer builds before they are released.
It would be great to have you testing the beta builds, especially as you have a non-standard Linux distro.
You could also roll your own:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_compiling_firestorm

I may do that once I am more familiar with SecondLife. I'm not much of a gamer though (unless you count Solitaire...) - until few days ago, my video card was a GeForce 405 and I only replaced it because the fan on it died. The replacement though let me try SecondLife which many of friends have been trying to get me to try for couple years now :D

• Like 1

@Pipfrosch: One of my room mates uses an external USB sound card (compact and puck shaped) and does not have any first run issue regarding pulseaudio routing to the onboard systems. Mind that he (and I) are on Manjaro as opposed to CentOS 7.

Perhaps ensure that - when the USB headset is plugged in - it is set as the fallback/default within pulseaudio while also making sure that any/all applications you intend to run through it (sounds more like all with the way you've written things) are set to output through the headset as well - as a precaution mind.

it should be looking for whichever device it was last set to, followed by whatever is set as the Fallback.

Hi, it was only an issue that one time and hasn't been an issue since. If it is an issue again the simple solution is to blacklist the kernel driver that corresponds with the audio controller in the video card so that it never loads. It does not happen but has happened with podcasts more then once and I am speculating that may have been the issue when I got no sound at the club but it hasn't happened again so I can not troubleshoot it to even know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.