Big building low prim.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi again Second life Fourms.

It's a long while since i was on the game and i have been working on alot of scripts.
Recently i re-watched the HBO chernobyl serie and got inspired to try and build a Powerplant in second life with a few friends.

Tho i strongly recall that we all had 1 issue with the game. The prim count-

Our main problem with Second life is that we would like a big building with alot of small rooms but it would take up 200+ prims.
Dose anyone know of a program, designer and/or place you can make/buy/get buildings with a low-prim count?

Thanks to everyone in advance and hope you have a wonderfull day! :3

(also sorry for bad grammar-)

4 hours ago, Perg0 said:

Tho i strongly recall that we all had 1 issue with the game. The prim count-

That shouldn't be the case anymore. With well optimized mesh you'll always run out of space long before you run out of prims (unless you are filling up your place with prim babies and/or breedables but you onviously aren't).

Just to give you a benchmark/example: typically I'd calculate with 1000-2000 prim (or "land impact" as we should say these days) for a sull sim "realiztic" landscape with a couple of houses and ltos of vegetation and such. A power plant building shouldn't require more prims/m2 than that althugh it does depend a bit on the machinery you put inside it of course.

4 hours ago, Perg0 said:

Our main problem with Second life is that we would like a big building with alot of small rooms but it would take up 200+ prims.
Dose anyone know of a program, designer and/or place you can make/buy/get buildings with a low-prim count?

What I suggest you do, is build it with prims and without worrying about the prim count. Then, once it's finished we can talk about converting it to low land impact optimized mesh.

• 5 weeks later...

Two hundred prims for a large building with lots of rooms doesn't seem a lot to me.  That's how many LI you get (or more) when renting a small parcel, say 1024 sm.  And you can find houses for sale on the marketplace -- prim-built -- using that many or more.  Prims are a different product from mesh in many ways and not all of them bad.  

And, changing the object settings of your prims to convex hulls drops that LI count drastically -- in half in some cases when all can be linked.  Thus, you might build a structure in Sl with prims set to convex hulls that if all can, or most, be linked together (without destroying some scripted functions) you'll get about the same LI count as if you took it into Blender and labored over it there, and in some cases maybe fewer LI. 

On 6/18/2020 at 6:08 PM, ChinRey said:

What I suggest you do, is build it with prims and without worrying about the prim count. Then, once it's finished we can talk about converting it to low land impact optimized mesh.

I agree, it will typically cost less than the prim equivalent to make a clean, optimized mesh, but less doesn't mean 1LI.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.