NEW THEME!! Beachy/Summery?

Nika Talaj
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Patch Linden latest update made within the last 20 minutes or so. 

Hey Folks!

Another quick update - the team involved in fixing up the issues is hard at work on many things, our issue preventing us from doing a large scale release is one of the many things they are working on with all things uplift.   Tomorrow is another day and we're ready to release more homes as soon as they can get things fixed up for us to move forward.

Again, thank you for your patience and I'll post another update as quickly as I can.

-Patch

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

• Moles
5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only real difference between the OL and OW ones is likely how  long the stilts are, but that part would be no different between On Pier and On Water.

Actually, that's not true.  All Stilt Homes have stilts the same length.  An OL house has front steps because you're meant to approach it from land and then walk up to get to the front door.  An OW house has no front steps.  If it's attached to a pier, you walk in directly from the pier, making your last few steps on a special walkway that leads right to your front door.  If the house is not attached to a pier, there's no point in entering by the front door (which is why we provided an optional baby gate in the Content Pack, so you wouldn't step out the door and get wet).  Instead, you moor your boat by the rear deck and enter the house by one of the sliding doors.  So, the short answer is: OW houses don't have front steps. Your mailbox knows which type to deliver.

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 9

4 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Actually, that's not true.  All Stilt Homes have stilts the same length.  An OL house has front steps because you're meant to approach it from land and then walk up to get to the front door.  An OW house has no front steps.  If it's attached to a pier, you walk in directly from the pier, making your last few steps on a special walkway that leads right to your front door.  If the house is not attached to a pier, there's no point in entering by the front door (which is why we provided an optional baby gate in the Content Pack, so you wouldn't step out the door and get wet).  Instead, you moor your boat by the rear deck and enter the house by one of the sliding doors.  So, the short answer is: OW houses don't have front steps. Your mailbox knows which type to deliver.

I think I know what Jewell meant about the length of the stilt legs though. Even if the models all have stilts the same length, the way they are placed on the ground changes how long they feel. I remember that was one of my first observations walking the demo sim. Some of the stilt homes connected to land at the front but over the water at the back seemed to have those attached lower back decks that were way more above the waterline than the ones fully in water or on the pier. I remember noting that on some parcels especially, if you have a smaller boat that lower deck would still be above your head.

Edited by Cyanide Pixie
  • Like 1

• Moles
1 hour ago, Cyanide Pixie said:

Even if the models all have stilts the same length, the way they are placed on the ground changes how long they feel.

Yes, I understand that.  If I remember correctly, someone once asked Abraham Lincoln how long his legs were and he answered, "Long enough to reach the ground."  That's the way it is with the stilt houses too. When we write the scripts for any of the houses, one of the questions we ask is, "How high above the ground should the main floor be?"  In the case of a stilt house over water, we ask almost the same: "How high above the water level should the main floor be?"  Once we have that question answered, the stilts take care of themselves.  If the moles who created the mesh models of the houses did the job well, the stilts are long enough to stick down well below the seafloor.  The part that you see just has to be "long enough to reach the ground," no matter how deep the water is.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Yes, I understand that.  If I remember correctly, someone once asked Abraham Lincoln how long his legs were and he answered, "Long enough to reach the ground."  That's the way it is with the stilt houses too. When we write the scripts for any of the houses, one of the questions we ask is, "How high above the ground should the main floor be?"  In the case of a stilt house over water, we ask almost the same: "How high above the water level should the main floor be?"  Once we have that question answered, the stilts take care of themselves.  If the moles who created the mesh models of the houses did the job well, the stilts are long enough to stick down well below the seafloor.  The part that you see just has to be "long enough to reach the ground," no matter how deep the water is.

So it's arguing semantics then, if I follow correctly? Not "Some stilt homes have longer stilts" but "Some stilt homes have longer VISIBLE stilts." based on their classification and rule differences (main floor height from ground vs. main floor height from water). And so as the ones on the shoreline are OL regardless of how much water they are over at their back half of course they follow the OL main floor height rule (as they are classified as such) and not the OW main floor height rule (as they are not classified). It only gives the illusion of different stilt heights because of these rule differences and the mixed land/water nature of the shoreline fellows.

• Like 2

• Moles
4 hours ago, Cyanide Pixie said:

So it's arguing semantics then, if I follow correctly? Not "Some stilt homes have longer stilts" but "Some stilt homes have longer VISIBLE stilts." based on their classification and rule differences (main floor height from ground vs. main floor height from water). And so as the ones on the shoreline are OL regardless of how much water they are over at their back half of course they follow the OL main floor height rule (as they are classified as such) and not the OW main floor height rule (as they are not classified). It only gives the illusion of different stilt heights because of these rule differences and the mixed land/water nature of the shoreline fellows.

I don't know if I'd call it semantics, but the OL and OW versions of the stilt home meshes are identical save for the steps at the front door, which the OW versions lack.   

When you use the Housecontroller to rez a new house, the rezzer checks the UUID of the Housecontroller that sent the message, uses that to calculate whether the centre of the parcel on the Housecontroller's positive X axis is above land or above water, and rezzes the OL or OW model of that particular house as appropriate.

Once the house is rezzed, the Housecontroller sends it the parcel's details, and the house positions itself with its root prim at a predetermined offset from the centre of the parcel.   The vertical -- Z -- offset is 6.5 metres above the water level for OW houses and 3.5 metres above the ground level at the parcel centre for OL ones (the root prims are cut and positioned so that their centre is on LDPW land, not the parcel itself).    

It's not strictly relevant to this discussion, but since I've seen it raised a couple of times, I should perhaps explain that, while the rezzer recognises only two kinds of house -- On Land and On Water -- the land store additionally recognises a third type, OB  (On Boardwalk), which is, in reality, a subset of OW houses.     

The calculation, which is performed by the parcel boundary markers and the results recorded before the region is released, works like this:  if the parcel centre is above land, then the house of OL.    However, if the centre is above water, the script examines what is directly underneath the house's root prim which, as explained above, is positioned outside the parcel, usually somewhere near the Housecontroller.    If the first thing a ray cast sees directly underneath the root is also water, then it's an OW house, but if it's anything else, it's OB.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 17

Woohoo!! - the Experience keys issues shows as being fixed on the grid status page...so maybe a release today...unless they have to do some more testing which will delay it..or something else.. - can't say I know how the process works exactly:) Holding on to hope for a release today:)

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 10

Caution from Patch!:

Patch Linden: Please do not play GoH

Patch Linden: If you get a house, keep it, if the load on the system becomes to great we are at risk of breaking it again

Patch Linden: This won't be the case forever but it's our best chance to get through releasing some regions hopefully

I asked how long we should wait if we don't like the location to change - he suggests a few days would be ideal.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
Added text
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.