Jump to content
Nika Talaj

NEW THEME!! Beachy/Summery?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2020 at 3:40 AM, Daniel Voyager said:

On 27th June I started a new poll where everyone could vote for their favourite Linden Home theme and here are the results for that poll (see above). In total there was 173 votes in this poll. It's a quick snapshot of what people think of all Linden Home themes so far. 

It's interesting that Log Cabins and Houseboats came out on top. The old Linden Home themes did not do very well.

Hopefully the lab and moles will take note of this going forward. 

Interesting.

For me it gets complicated when I factor in the surrounds.

I had a log cabin, but I eventually got rid of it because I find the log cabin regions too repetitive without unique amenities and most key; lack of access to open water. There is that one doughnut lake that connects to an outer river - but the odds for getting there were very low and I didn't make it through - giving up about 70% of the way through them coming out when I realized that it was still a limited water path.

I think the rationale for log cabin popularity is the same as the Victorian - it is popular because it is newest.

Houseboat seems logical near the top because you can do so much with it - they all connect to a wide open exploration path. Even the worst of the badly placed ones would - wherever those are.

I would expect trads to be second because they tend to have the most individually unique regions. At the times the trads came out the moles and lindens were making things at a slower pace and at least for the ones made that are not adjacent to the Victorians almost every last region is unique.

I do wonder if in time that will push their popularity up.

 

Tying this back to the thread's purpose... the stilted houses - I like the look of them, just like I did the log cabins. But a lot will depend on where they end up. If they end on rows and rows of beaches and shallow waterfronts (like the pickle parts of houseboats) but with very poor sailing access I will probably get one and then toss it back a month later - like I did with log cabins. If they end up placed like continent-ringing houseboats are - around a continent with that continent holding other things - I will likely look for a keeper.

If they end up like the pickles - the rows and rows but with good sailing... I will struggle over the choice but likely not keep it because I already have a houseboat that is not in a pickle.

My biggest fear for the stilts is the victorians and the log cabins both used a lot of clone regions - and the ratio of clone to unique has been steadily favoring clones. In fact when Victorians came out we started seeing trads, campers, and houseboats added that were clones (I live in one - but it's not a pickle and is located such as to keep things more unique)... I fear that as the themes roll on out - we will see a greater reliance on clones. Eventually 'new linden homes' will be like old linden homes - entire continents that seem likea copy/paste of others even if they do go in an tweak some details it will still look like a clone from a distance. That will eventually make having a 'first year new linden home' a bit of a sought after thing.

 

Location matters. Not so much in the short term when a theme is new - but over time I think it adds up. At least for me.

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Interesting.

For me it gets complicated when I factor in the surrounds.

I had a log cabin, but I eventually got rid of it because I find the log cabin regions too repetitive without unique amenities and most key; lack of access to open water. There is that one doughnut lake that connects to an outer river - but the odds for getting there were very low and I didn't make it through - giving up about 70% of the way through them coming out when I realized that it was still a limited water path.

I think the rationale for log cabin popularity is the same as the Victorian - it is popular because it is newest.

Houseboat seems logical near the top because you can do so much with it - they all connect to a wide open exploration path. Even the worst of the badly placed ones would - wherever those are.

I would expect trads to be second because they tend to have the most individually unique regions. At the times the trads came out the moles and lindens were making things at a slower pace and at least for the ones made that are not adjacent to the Victorians almost every last region is unique.

I do wonder if in time that will push their popularity up.

 

Tying this back to the thread's purpose... the stilted houses - I like the look of them, just like I did the log cabins. But a lot will depend on where they end up. If they end on rows and rows of beaches and shallow waterfronts (like the pickle parts of houseboats) but with very poor sailing access I will probably get one and then toss it back a month later - like I did with log cabins. If they end up placed like continent-ringing houseboats are - around a continent with that continent holding other things - I will likely look for a keeper.

If they end up like the pickles - the rows and rows but with good sailing... I will struggle over the choice but likely not keep it because I already have a houseboat that is not in a pickle.

 

Location matters. Not so much in the short term when a theme is new - but over time I think it adds up. At least for me.

 

I could not have said this better myself... Uniqueness and location are so important to me personally.  My hope is that they will use the stilts mostly like the houseboats were utilized at the edges of other themes.  The Squishy pickle atoll is around 700 house boats... my first home in Bellisseria was there and i was out of the squishy pickle within a month.  If they were to cluster Stilts into an enormous super atoll... something 7 or 8 times the size of the Squishy pickle that would be a lot of odd waterway boating just to get a boat out to open ocean.  

With this said the design of the Stilts is amazing, i love them and I'm really hoping that i will fall in love with the area they are placed in too.  But at the end of the day map placement is important if you are an explorer

And yes I think the original Trads will definitely always be popular because of their uniqueness.

Right now if I had to rate the 5 themes keeping in mind desirable location and uniqueness in lots my list would be...

1) Traditionals

2) Houseboats

3) Campers

4) Victorians

5) Log Homes

Edited by Evangeline Ling
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

You won't have rez rights on any of the public land -- so you can't get in trouble.  You can use whatever is already there -- sitting at a picnic table, etc...

Quote

You can use anything that is on public "protected" land.  The moles often put seats for residents to use on HB docks, which are protected land, as well. 

If a resident contrives to put something out on public land, feel free to use it, or abuse report it, as you wish.  I have a couple of LH chairs out beyond a camper parcel, overlooking a nice view.  I hope that people use them -  but if some Mole or Linden makes them go poof some day, I'm resigned to that too :)

If a resident contrives to put something on your land, or overhanging it, you can Abuse Report it.  You can also report anything a resident places beyond their parcel, but often LL will not take action on fairly benign infringements.  A common problem in Belli is people parking their cars in front of their house, definitely frowned upon by LL.

Thank you both for responding and keeping me out of trouble lol. So the only thing is "ours" is the houseboat. I did purchase the add-ons one being the deck with the pergola so I'm sure I will be on it a lot or sunbathing on the houseboat upper deck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

There is that one doughnut lake that connects to an outer river - but the odds for getting there were very low and I didn't make it through - giving up about 70% of the way through them coming out when I realized that it was still a limited water path.

Where is that lake?  It sounds a bit like the lake I am on in Artagan but I don't think this lake has an exit to open water.  Thanks for the info if you remember!  🐵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

Where is that lake?  It sounds a bit like the lake I am on in Artagan but I don't think this lake has an exit to open water.  Thanks for the info if you remember!  🐵

Very odd, this was not me who said that.... are you sure you tagged the right person... With that said from the description is sounds like one of the big ponds in the log regions.... The water there is really rather small to be considered a lake in my opinion.  There are some nice size ponds in the logs just no connection to actual oceans.  You will also find most of the ponds repeat themselves 5-8 times over due to the way the regions were cloned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/30/2020 at 4:54 AM, Daniel Voyager said:

1784162607_SL17BEnchant30thJune_001.thumb.jpg.3e66039353d5ca73c1ca1d8c619e693a.jpg

View looking down at the new Stilt Linden homes. 

30/6/2020

 

What's interesting here, is considering that kind of house you might get if this layout becomes a "standard template." 

What kind of house will you get if you choose land or water?

 

7 sand houses

5 shoreland houses

7 pier houses

4 open water houses

 

12 = land

11 = water

---- 23 houses

Edited by DevinVaughn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There is that one doughnut lake that connects to an outer river

Hi, do you remember where that was??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Very odd, this was not me who said that.... are you sure you tagged the right person... With that said from the description is sounds like one of the big ponds in the log regions.... The water there is really rather small to be considered a lake in my opinion.  There are some nice size ponds in the logs just no connection to actual oceans.  You will also find most of the ponds repeat themselves 5-8 times over due to the way the regions were cloned.

Yes, so sorry!  That was Pussycat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Tying this back to the thread's purpose... the stilted houses - I like the look of them, just like I did the log cabins. But a lot will depend on where they end up. If they end on rows and rows of beaches and shallow waterfronts (like the pickle parts of houseboats) but with very poor sailing access I will probably get one and then toss it back a month later - like I did with log cabins. If they end up placed like continent-ringing houseboats are - around a continent with that continent holding other things - I will likely look for a keeper.

If they end up like the pickles - the rows and rows but with good sailing... I will struggle over the choice but likely not keep it because I already have a houseboat that is not in a pickle.

Just curious, what do you mean by The Pickle?

Anyhoo, I'm ok with clones regions IF they also include unique features. Like Horizons. Cool little areas that are fun to explore. But the houses, thats a lot of work and the demand is high, so yeah, a template makes sense.  I just hope we have cool areas too.   Of the new homes, I would say the Lodge is good meeting area, Traditionals have lots of interesting areas to explore, but Horizons has all the LH home regions easily beat on coolness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DevinVaughn said:

Just curious, what do you mean by The Pickle?

The Pickle is a term other people came up with, and if I was using it right, it refers to those house boats that start at around 'Deno' and go down to 'Bilgewater', and a second version over at 'Ashirra' down to 'Seas the Day'. I guess someone though the shape of that was like a pickle.

  

54 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

My guess is she's referring to Dos Hermanos.


Yes. If you happen to have a plot that is on the waterline on that lake - you have access to the lake outside by sailing through the path at the west side of Dos Hermanos. But it's still an inland smaller route. If the log cabins had done something like the Northwest coast around Seattle to Vancouver where this kind of home comes right up to the ocean waterline I might have been more invested in wanting to get one of those. But instead they're all inland.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DevinVaughn said:

Just curious, what do you mean by The Pickle?

 

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The Pickle is a term other people came up with, and if I was using it right, it refers to those house boats that start at around 'Deno' and go down to 'Bilgewater', and a second version over at 'Ashirra' down to 'Seas the Day'. I guess someone though the shape of that was like a pickle.

 

Here is the story of the Pickle & Squishy Pickle

 

image.thumb.png.4bc4ae713eda0139fed03a8d8bb77641.png

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...