L$10,000 Job for builder/designer

Junejewels

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I'm looking to hire a builder/designer to help me build a hotel. I have a reference picture attached, and I have experience with 3d modeling so I would be able to assist in the project as well. I mostly need the exterior done and the layout of the inside. I figured a fair price would be L$10,000 but I would be willing to pay more. Please message me inworld at junejewels or leave a comment on this forum! thank you!

hotelreferencepicture1.jpg

If you want interiors, you might need an entire full sim to get enough prims for that. Not just a parcel big enough for it. That's the limit on big, complex multistory structures in SL. Most of them have a few real floors and a lot of empty volume inside.

You could probably do the ground floor of public function rooms and the top floor, plus the stairwells and elevators, while leaving the other floors mostly empty. The SYZM Tower in NTBI sim is worth studying as an example of a good big building built that way. Their empty floors have walls of unpainted sheetrock, which makes it look real, just not rented out. Spend some time in Mopire checking out the big buildings. They're mostly hollow shells, but not just dummy facades. You can go inside, and if you go upstairs, most of the floors are empty, but present.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, animats said:

If you want interiors, you might need an entire full sim to get enough prims for that.

A quarter sim should be enough - or a whole homestead region. A good rule of thumb to guesstimate the land impact of a well optimized house is to count the number of doors and windows. If the land impact is somewhere betweeen half and twice that number and the LoD and physics are good, it's likely to be a well optimized buiding. If it's higher, it probably isn't, although there are a few exceptions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Junejewels said:

I figured a fair price would be L$10,000 but I would be willing to pay more.

I wrote a reply about this is for the duplicate post (and I'm nto goignt o mention double posting) but I should say it here too, and perhaps explain a little bit more.

We can always discuss what "fair price" means but L$10,000 is about 30-40 US dollars in RL money. Chic suggested a build like this would take months and she may well be right, we're certainly talking several weeks of full time work. So let's say ten cents an hour or a dollar a day. It may be even less. Would you work for that little? Could you afford to work for that little? If by "fair price" you mean a decent income per hour of work, you have to add two more digits and make it a million to be in the right ballpark.

What you need is a skilled mesh house maker who has a few hundred hours to spare in the near future and doesn't care about money. That kind of person is hard to find of course and what you are likely to get (if you get anything at all) is somebody who hasn't thought it through, spends a lot of time and effort making it work at first, then gives up and vanishes without a trace when they realize what they got themselves into - long before they have anything to deliver.

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I wrote a reply about this is for the duplicate post (and I'm nto goignt o mention double posting) but I should say it here too, and perhaps explain a little bit more.

We can always discuss what "fair price" means but L$10,000 is about 30-40 US dollars in RL money. Chic suggested a build like this would take months and she may well be right, we're certainly talking several weeks of full time work. So let's say ten cents an hour or a dollar a day. It may be even less. Would you work for that little? Could you afford to work for that little? If by "fair price" you mean a decent income per hour of work, you have to add two more digits and make it a million to be in the right ballpark.

What you need is a skilled mesh house maker who has a few hundred hours to spare in the near future and doesn't care about money. That kind of person is hard to find of course and what you are likely to get (if you get anything at all) is somebody who hasn't thought it through, spends a lot of time and effort making it work at first, then gives up and vanishes without a trace when they realize what they got themselves into - long before they have anything to deliver.

I didn't realize there was a rule against double posting???? I posted the original post in the builders forum and realized I might get more results in the inworld employment forum. Maybe I should clear a few things up. First of all I don't need my resort to look exactly like this reference picture, it's just a reference I don't expect anyone to copy and paste the whole thing. And I said L$10,000 I think would be fair but I am open to negotiating. I don't know where you get the idea that it would take months to build this but it's simply not true. I have friends who have made an entire sim, beautifully made, in less than a month. My land isn't even an entire sim its a plot of land so I don't know who would take months to build this but frankly I wouldn't want them as my builder if they took that long anyway. I'm paying L$6000 a week for this land so my time is precious right now. I've been working on this build by myself so far and even I being the talentless builder that I am could do this job in less than a month if I really wanted to, which I don't and that's why I'm willing to pay someone. Secondly we are talking about SL, nobody is expecting you to put actual physical labor into building this for "less than a dollar a day" the standard of payment is way different then real life and for good reason. I work as a stripper and make maybe L$5000 a week for the 6 hours I put in each week. That's about $4.89 an hour in rl money. In rl that's not even legal in the states, but in sl that's pretty good payment. No one is asking me to physically dangle from a pole, all I'm doing is clicking through animations, so I wouldn't expect to get paid as much as a real stripper. In my 6 months of being on sl I've worked on a lot of big project, sometimes for free, but never have I even come close to being paid L$10,000 for any of the jobs I did. This is why I was under the impression that L$10,000 would be a lot of money and quite frankly more than a fair price. If you think you should be paid a million to work on a build then that's your prerogative and frankly I'd hope you're a really good builder for that asking price, but don't come on here trying to speak for everyone because it's simply not the case.

10 minutes ago, Junejewels said:

I didn't realize there was a rule against double posting????

yes there is .. mostly because one of the most close related sections is not for asking/ offering, but for discussion.
Secondly, double posting is taken as spamming.

To some other parts of your, not so nice reply to t well meant comment, if you struggle to pay for a parcel, and think a buildingproject should adjust to your wallet, scale it down. Start with a few rooms in a smaller look a like/themed build.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:42 PM, Junejewels said:

Hi I'm looking to hire a builder/designer to help me build a hotel. I have a reference picture attached, and I have experience with 3d modeling so I would be able to assist in the project as well. I mostly need the exterior done and the layout of the inside. I figured a fair price would be L$10,000 but I would be willing to pay more. Please message me inworld at junejewels or leave a comment on this forum! thank you!

hotelreferencepicture1.jpg

this type of build is possible on a full sim and a budget of at least 150 k

12 hours ago, Junejewels said:

I said L$10,000 I think would be fair but I am open to negotiating.  

.....I being the talentless builder that I am could do this job in less than a month if I really wanted to

....,.I work as a stripper and make maybe L$5000 a week for the 6 hours I put in each week.

The equivalent that you would pay somebody to build ^^^ for you in a month is the equivalent of your salary in 12 hours of your chosen line of work. 

I have concern but I wish you fortune. I’m just not sure that this was thought out too well. 

Edited by norajulian
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I'll chime in as a builder myself and having built complete sims for fantasy fair etc ..
and building massive structures for my store inworld.
a building like this would fit on ,i would say half a sim.
It's not like building a nice sim made out of existing items or putting prims together, I do that in a day or 3.
for me personally ( working with 2 people everyday for about 10 or more hours)
this would take about 2 to 3 weeks minimum and 4 to 5 weeks maximum -custom mesh from scratch and textured creating handmade custom materials- might be a bit longer depending on the insides it's .. a lot, specially if you want a good quality build.
If i would take on this job, it would have to make up for what i lose on time for the store and new releases.
It would be about 600-900k for a job like this in total. but thats a a personal quota.
I hope this helps giving a bit of an idea on what to expect from experienced 3d builders. I'm unsure if anyone would do it for lower then 100rl dollars but you never know in SL.

I hope you can however find someone who is up for the task and has the free time to do it on a low budget.
Good luck and take care !

Edited by Jaimy Hancroft
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Junejewels said:

nobody is expecting you to put actual physical labor into building this for "less than a dollar a day" the standard of payment is way different then real life and for good reason.

You don't pay just for labor, you pay for time. Working on digital products still takes a lot of knowledge, talent and effort.

If you value your time at under $5 an hour, that's fine, it's a hobby.

I've charged $15/hr (USD, minimum wage in some US states) for scripting, and I could easily get more if I was employed by a real company, especially in my own country. I don't consider scripting a job either. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

6 hours ago, Jaimy Hancroft said:

I'll chime in as a builder myself and having built complete sims for fantasy fair etc ..
and building massive structures for my store inworld.
a building like this would fit on ,i would say half a sim.
It's not like building a nice sim made out of existing items or putting prims together, I do that in a day or 3.
for me personally ( working with 2 people everyday for about 10 or more hours)
this would take about 2 to 3 weeks minimum and 4 to 5 weeks maximum -custom mesh from scratch and textured creating handmade custom materials- might be a bit longer depending on the insides it's .. a lot, specially if you want a good quality build.
If i would take on this job, it would have to make up for what i lose on time for the store and new releases.
It would be about 600-900k for a job like this in total. but thats a a personal quota.
I hope this helps giving a bit of an idea on what to expect from experienced 3d builders. I'm unsure if anyone would do it for lower then 100rl dollars but you never know in SL.

I hope you can however find someone who is up for the task and has the free time to do it on a low budget.
Good luck and take care !

Thank you! I have a pretty big plot of land, and I found a builder who is going to do it for L$15,000, thank you for your perspective I respect that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.