Black Snapshot Issue

Valletta GossipGirl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? When I attempt to take a photo (snapshot) in game, I end up with a mostly black photo with some light showing. I have tried adjusting the Environment Editor to different settings. The issue occurs when I am taking photos while on the Ultra for the graphics setting. I am able to take 'normal' photos when I shoot on lower setting, specifically Mid. Previously, this has never been an issue for me. I've included photos to demonstrate the issue.

Currently, using a Mac, which is about 3-4 years old.

Snapshottest_011.png

Snapshottest_012.png

9 answers to this question

Well hi there Gossipgirl. You must not be NEW LOL.

Have you tried turning down to "mid-Altra" to see if that would work?  You also didn't say if you were using the Linden EEP viewer or the current Firestorm -- or another third party viewer. It does indeed matter. 

You can go into the viewer and look at the different settings about what is turned on and what is not between what works for you and what doesn't. Personally I never use the highest Ultra. That being said, I haven't seen any post recently with this same issue. 

If you are on the Linden viewer then my guess is that it is EEP related.  

40 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well hi there Gossipgirl. You must not be NEW LOL.

Have you tried turning down to "mid-Altra" to see if that would work?  You also didn't say if you were using the Linden EEP viewer or the current Firestorm -- or another third party viewer. It does indeed matter. 

You can go into the viewer and look at the different settings about what is turned on and what is not between what works for you and what doesn't. Personally I never use the highest Ultra. That being said, I haven't seen any post recently with this same issue. 

If you are on the Linden viewer then my guess is that it is EEP related.  

Hey there Chic, thanks for the reply.
Indeed, not new lol
I'm using current Firestorm viewer.
I typically just run SL on the 'Mid' setting but for the purposes of taking pictures, I like to use the 'Ultra' setting since it allows for seemingly the best photo quality plus shadows. I did adjust to 'mid-Ultra' as well as High, both resulting in the mostly black photo. When I turn shadows off, I am able to capture the photo.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.32.02 PM.png

51 minutes ago, Valletta GossipGirl said:

Hey there Chic, thanks for the reply.
Indeed, not new lol
I'm using current Firestorm viewer.
I typically just run SL on the 'Mid' setting but for the purposes of taking pictures, I like to use the 'Ultra' setting since it allows for seemingly the best photo quality plus shadows. I did adjust to 'mid-Ultra' as well as High, both resulting in the mostly black photo. When I turn shadows off, I am able to capture the photo.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.32.02 PM.png

Well maybe better to talk to some Firestorm gurus. Typically when you graphics card can't handle the "quality" you have set you get a COMPLETE black screen (been there long ago) but that's not what you are seeing.   So maybe @Whirly Fizzle  might have some idea.

This is what I typically shoot with. I don't have "avatar cloth" on and not sure what that does. I would suggest turning down your LODs to 2 which will make your computer happier and any creator IMO that makes things that only works at 3 or 4 doesn't need any kudos or photography LOL.  

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2

image.thumb.png.7d8fca02b2796d0bde4b41186c20323c.png

Might be good to put in your computer spec here. You can get them under HELP > About Firestorm in the viewer.  Also what SIZE screenshots are you taking?  I shoot at 5000.   Maybe lowering the size might help. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
replaced graphics setting picture as it was incorrect - a mystery there

8 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Looks like it might be this bug: BUG-4399 - Large Snapshots + shadows fail

Thanks for this.

The work around I have found so far is turning Sun/Moon under Shadows on, rather than Sun/Moon + Projectors. With this, the snapshots turn out normal, no giant black mask. It seems the issue only occurs when Sun/Moon + Projectors under Shadows is enabled. Also, tried it with Phototools and got the same result.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 5.47.09 PM.png

• Thanks 1

I don't get the dark screen but I do get significantly darker pictures than in the preview box. I've tried to fix with external lighting, but still not ideal. MacBook Air with M1, 8 giga 512 Ssd Hd, Osx Monterey 12,2,1

https://gyazo.com/572a15501ccfea668377034dd5e56777

Edited by Lawrence Celestalis
link added

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.