Spying on others with radar function

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Additionally, the "Enable viewer look at targets" is a developer feature intended for developers to test how avatars respond to specific look at areas, and is not intended as a resident feature. While some viewers have unfortunately made it a feature, I recommend against using it, especially if it bothers you that people are looking at you.

I don't use it because it bothers me when people are not looking at me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Honestly?  
At any given moment a Linden could drop onto your land. 
So unless you are doing something that could cause you to lose your account- 

You aren’t doing anything that hasn’t been seen a hundred times before.

& you have nothing to worry about.  

AE936BC6-9B20-4F5A-8FEF-58B64260C871.jpeg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

FWIW, the parcel privacy ceiling is 50m above ground. IIRC, it was added in server version 12.09.04.264357

I'm still waiting for public access to this parcel privacy behavior where you are also do not show on the radar/minimap: https://gyazo.com/043ec6a918fc32940f24bf31d0408ee8

No, I am not crossing regions in that vid.

Where does this happen? My curiosity is piqued.

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Where does this happen? My curiosity is piqued.

It happened at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nautilus - Hannibal/182/124/64

The hidden console setting apparently was left on by someone for some reason and was "changed" when the region was restarted.

I ran into the condition when I was investigating  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-227882

19 hours ago, MelodicRain said:

still not sure why people need to locate others at an instant, given LL's countless other measures on privacy,

Sharing why I use radar.

It has its very positive uses which benefits others as much as me when I use it.  When I travel to Public or Premium sandboxes, I use radar to see where [anyone else] currently is already working. Once I see where everyone else already is, I instantly walk to a clear spot and get out of their way. Especially useful if I may be at that location more than a few minutes.  Without radar I would have only visuals, and I keep my draw distance small to avoid seeing all kinds of scattered sky objects, etc.  Without radar I would have to bump into someone right up close before ever seeing them first!  Who wants to trip across other(s) on the way to a simple little spot in a sandbox, or be building and be bumped into by avi after avi while they are building something complex... It's distracting, and I am happy to avoid being a distraction.

As to LL's countless other measures on privacy, to my understanding LL does what it is required to do on privacy. I would not be surprised if as a business LL only does what it is required. And if they do more I would equally not be surprised, but I wouldn't expect it.

I don't like my privacy tripped across either. But largely it has been by accident, not nefarious and they leave quickly.  If instead you are uncomfortable more about someone stalking or griefing you, there are other ways you can respond to that.  But radars aren't the evildoers and so unfortunately removing radars would not remove the evildoers. 

And so we loop back around to this, words of wisdom echoed for decades:

18 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

whatever you do - there is no privacy in SL.

• Like 1

The only way to have privacy in SL is to own/rent a private region/homestead with full estate rights. Kind of pathetic, imo, to have to pay a monthly bill just to have privacy. It's even more pathetic when you can have more privacy in SL than you can in RL. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The only way to have privacy in SL is to own/rent a private region/homestead with full estate rights. Kind of pathetic, imo, to have to pay a monthly bill just to have privacy. It's even more pathetic when you can have more privacy in SL than you can in RL. 

I is spying on you through your walls with infrared and x-rays.. I is listening in on you using special microphones or the microphone on your computer or smartphone. I is stalking you with hidden cameras around your neighborhood ..  is is watching you through your webcam or the camera on your phone. i is the the eyes that see and the ears that hear. :P

8 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I is spying on you through your walls with infrared and x-rays.. I is listening in on you using special microphones or the microphone on your computer or smartphone. I is stalking you with hidden cameras around your neighborhood ..  is is watching you through your webcam or the camera on your phone. i is the the eyes that see and the ears that hear. :P

oh hello Mum :)

• Haha 6

44 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Which home is mine? There are 329 mobile homes in the park with 16 more being added, mostly non-white occupants. No mic on pc, no smartphone. Those cams belong to the park and are not hidden, if they even work. Again, no cam on pc and no cell phone.

uh oh. Did I just yank the rug out from under you? oops

🤪

I know you were teasing. I'm sorry I'm too jaded to be able to respond in kind.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Which home is mine? There are 329 mobile homes in the park with 16 more being added, mostly non-white occupants. No mic on pc, no smartphone. Those cams belong to the park and are not hidden, if they even work. Again, no cam on pc and no cell phone.

uh oh. Did I just yank the rug out from under you? oops

🤪

I know you were teasing. I'm sorry I'm too jaded to be able to respond in kind.

the one on the left. with the windows open, the camera's do work just everyone is told they dont. the mic's on the camera'a are good enough to hear through your open window and even through your walls.

:P

I know its all good..

2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

the one on the left. with the windows open, the camera's do work just everyone is told they dont. the mic's on the camera'a are good enough to hear through your open window and even through your walls.

:P

I know its all good..

lol The one on the left. Which one of the 165 that are on the left? From which entrance? There are 4 entrances to the park. There aren't any mics on the park cams. They aren't even running the cams because the system is so out of date it's unusable. lol

• Author: Polly Sprenger
  • 01.26.99.          [ Yes 1999. The World was SHOCKED]

Sun on Privacy: 'Get Over It'

The chief executive officer of Sun Microsystems said Monday that consumer privacy issues are a "red herring."

"You have zero privacy anyway," Scott McNealy told a group of reporters and analysts Monday night at an event to launch his company's new Jini technology.

"Get over it."

privacy is a myth.. if someone really wants to spy on you or stalk you there are so many ways they can do it in sl or rl that cannot be stopped or prevented. Nothing online is truly private either, nothing offline is truly private either unless you just never share it with anyone else ever.

privacy=never talking to anyone about anything that you dont want others to ever possible learn about you. if you have told even one other person its not private anymore.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

privacy=never talking to anyone about anything that you dont want others to ever possible learn about you. if you have told even one other person its not private anymore.

Corollary #1: The only person you can trust with a secret is your mother.

Corollary #2: Don't tell your mother anything.

Corollary #3: Even if she's dead.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.