Signature Gianni issues!!

Sammi Washborne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I am trying to revamp my husband's av and bought him a Gianni body and head as well as other things. The BOM seems like a complete cluster F.  Everytime I try to use it, it either bakes on the default skin I had on his av (which I can't take off) or it brings his old body back on top of his new body!!  Same with the head!!  What am I doing wrong?!?!?  I only just recently figured out turning myself to mesh so I am on a steep learning curve here.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

3 hours ago, Sammi Washborne said:

What am I doing wrong?!?!?

Sounds like you aren't using a BOM skin at all, just that default one. If that does show, it's actually a good hint that you set it up right. Just replace the skin with something pretty.

There have been very detailed instructions for BOM beginners around here lately. if you read around a bit, it should help immensely.

3 hours ago, Sammi Washborne said:

So I am trying to revamp my husband's av and bought him a Gianni body and head as well as other things. The BOM seems like a complete cluster F.  Everytime I try to use it, it either bakes on the default skin I had on his av (which I can't take off) or it brings his old body back on top of his new body!!  Same with the head!!  What am I doing wrong?!?!?  I only just recently figured out turning myself to mesh so I am on a steep learning curve here.  Any help is greatly appreciated!!

That is exactly what BOM is supposed to do. And no, you cannot take off the default skin, you can only replace it with another one.

If you don't want to have your default skin shown on the body, wear the other version of Gianni that is not BOM.

6 hours ago, Sammi Washborne said:

The BOM seems like a complete cluster F.  Everytime I try to use it, it either bakes on the default skin I had on his av

That is exactly what BoM is intended to do. BoM stands for Bakes on Mesh: a process by which your underlying system layers are 'baked' onto your third party purchased mesh body parts.

The process for activating BoM on the Gianni body are as follows:

1. Remove all alpha layers
  2. Add the Gianni body, hands, and feet
  3. Add the Gianni HUD
  4. Under the Settings tab ('cog' icon) click the 'BoM - Bakes on Mesh' words, as below:

bom_signature_5.jpg

You don't mention which brand of mesh head he has, but if it's the Signature Gianni head then I'm afraid I have zero experience with that, as it's one that simply is not catered for when it comes to applier skins. However, any BoM skin (in other words, any system skin) should still appear on the head once BoM is activated on it. I suggest joining the Signature Body group and asking there for help regarding the head. James - the Signature CSR - is very helpful and can give you more guidance than I can, at least regarding the Signature heads.

6 hours ago, Sammi Washborne said:

or it brings his old body back on top of his new body!!

If you see what appear to be two bodies intersecting each other - the Signature mesh body and his actual system body - then you have completed the first part of the above instructions (removed the alpha layers) but not the second part (click the HUD to activate BoM). The body will give you a popup asking you to confirm that you want to activate BoM, so ensure that you click that.

You may also be in a laggy area or experiencing connection issues, so - when activating BoM - just click once and then wait to see if it activates. On my Signature bodies the change to BoM is almost instantaneous.

Lastly, check that you're using the most recent version of both body and head. At the time of writing this reply, the Gianni body is on v5.0.

Regarding his mesh head: if the brand for that isn't Signature, then come back to this post and I'll try to help you with activating BoM correctly on whichever brand of head he does own.

With regard to the skin, he will need to use a system skin, and preferably a new one that is marked as a 'BoM' skin. Older system skins will still work, but - because of the way that old skins were texture-mapped onto the system body - they will look pretty bad around the hands and especially on the feet. There are lots of creators making male BoM skins, so have a look at this blog for a list of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, a genuine thanks for all the good info in this thread. Finally enabled me to somewhat match head and skin, with various BOM layers including Lelutka' s hair- and beard-base, Session'  BOM skins for head and body and Izzie' s wrinkles to this result :

tddnew_147.thumb.jpg.a8415a0372ed9796df7c317e2bbe6644.jpg

Not a pretty face perhaps , but I'm quite content with it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

That is exactly what BoM is intended to do. BoM stands for Bakes on Mesh: a process by which your underlying system layers are 'baked' onto your third party purchased mesh body parts.

The process for activating BoM on the Gianni body are as follows:

1. Remove all alpha layers
  2. Add the Gianni body, hands, and feet
  3. Add the Gianni HUD
  4. Under the Settings tab ('cog' icon) click the 'BoM - Bakes on Mesh' words, as below:

bom_signature_5.jpg

You don't mention which brand of mesh head he has, but if it's the Signature Gianni head then I'm afraid I have zero experience with that, as it's one that simply is not catered for when it comes to applier skins. However, any BoM skin (in other words, any system skin) should still appear on the head once BoM is activated on it. I suggest joining the Signature Body group and asking there for help regarding the head. James - the Signature CSR - is very helpful and can give you more guidance than I can, at least regarding the Signature heads.

If you see what appear to be two bodies intersecting each other - the Signature mesh body and his actual system body - then you have completed the first part of the above instructions (removed the alpha layers) but not the second part (click the HUD to activate BoM). The body will give you a popup asking you to confirm that you want to activate BoM, so ensure that you click that.

You may also be in a laggy area or experiencing connection issues, so - when activating BoM - just click once and then wait to see if it activates. On my Signature bodies the change to BoM is almost instantaneous.

Lastly, check that you're using the most recent version of both body and head. At the time of writing this reply, the Gianni body is on v5.0.

Regarding his mesh head: if the brand for that isn't Signature, then come back to this post and I'll try to help you with activating BoM correctly on whichever brand of head he does own.

With regard to the skin, he will need to use a system skin, and preferably a new one that is marked as a 'BoM' skin. Older system skins will still work, but - because of the way that old skins were texture-mapped onto the system body - they will look pretty bad around the hands and especially on the feet. There are lots of creators making male BoM skins, so have a look at this blog for a list of them.

As an add on to what Skell has brilliantly outlined. With the SIgnature mesh heads. Inside there folders in the latest head versions there's an activator prim that when added will act as a  relay to activate the head's Bakes on Mesh. It'll turn the head red to indicate it's safe to remove your head alpha and use a bakes on mesh skin. Hopefully this is useful , cheers folks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My problem is I want to use the skin that comes with the body but BOM the clothes as he is not fussy and has an extensive wardrobe already.  Is there a blank skin I can use that will let the gianni skin show?

Also the head is Gianni.  The eyes on it look awful but after dropping that kind of dough I will just look for a head skin.  Or complete skin. 

Also I am suprised it bakes the skin layer on as my matrya body doesn't on BOM

Edited by Sammi Washborne

13 minutes ago, Sammi Washborne said:

My problem is I want to use the skin that comes with the body but BOM the clothes as he is not fussy and has an extensive wardrobe already.  Is there a blank skin I can use that will let the gianni skin show?

Due to the way that Signature has enabled BoM on their bodies that's not possible. Like many other creators, their BoM is enabled via a button on the HUD. To explain further:

• Signature's BoM activation button applies a special 'skin applier' to the body. That skin applier comprises the BoM 'bake' textures (invisible to you) that allow the underlying system textures to appear on the body.
  • Signature's own built-in skins are also skin appliers. So, as soon as you click to apply one of the Gianni skins, it will replace the special 'BoM activation skin', and the BoM ability stops.

Another way of looking at it: Skin appliers will block any underlying system textures. Think of your mesh head and body as a big window. BOM lets you see through the ‘glass’ to the underlying system textures. A skin applier acts like a thick coat of paint on that glass, blocking your view. Other appliers (makeup, tattoos, hairbases, etc) just add nice details on top of the system textures, but skin appliers are like blackout curtains and hide the system layers completely.

This means that you cannot use the Signature default body appliers and still have system clothing textures showing on the mesh body. The only way to use those system textures is to get a third-party BoM skin, such as those mentioned in the blog post that I linked to. Mesh clothing will be fine, but anything that relies on system textures simply won't show up if you're using the Signature body skins.

21 minutes ago, Sammi Washborne said:

Also the head is Gianni.  The eyes on it look awful but after dropping that kind of dough I will just look for a head skin.  Or complete skin.

That would be my suggestion: buy a proper BoM skin for him. That will allow him to continue using his system texture wardrobe if he wants to.

22 minutes ago, Sammi Washborne said:

Also I am suprised it bakes the skin layer on as my matrya body doesn't on BOM

It should do, if BoM is activated correctly. To activate BoM on Maitreya, first make sure your Maitreya body is at least v5.0 (at the time of writing this reply it's at v5.1)

1. Add the Maitreya body and its HUD
  2. Remove all of your alpha layers
  3. In the SKIN/BASE tab of the HUD, click the BAKES ON MESH button. (The text and outline will be white once it’s active.)

bom_maitreya.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.