KPV wouldn’t it be nice if...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We had a way to see the data stored when using key pair values. I have always wondered why we weren’t able to define our own tables when saving data and why there wasn’t a small add on created for the viewer that let you select a table from a list and then view / edit the data contained within it. I feel that’s one thing we are missing when it comes to using KPV to store data. A way to actually see the data outside of scripting a dialog to look at and modify player data if you were using KPV to store say...their stats 

I wish we had some way to save more data in ordinary objects.

(Experiences get a key-value store, but regular prims get nothing. They can't even write notecards. You can store data in lists, but that eats up script memory, so you can't store much data. Using an external server means the product requires that external server stay up forever.)

3 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

We had a way to see the data stored when using key pair values. I have always wondered why we weren’t able to define our own tables when saving data and why there wasn’t a small add on created for the viewer that let you select a table from a list and then view / edit the data contained within it. I feel that’s one thing we are missing when it comes to using KPV to store data. A way to actually see the data outside of scripting a dialog to look at and modify player data if you were using KPV to store say...their stats 

It's KVP, not KPV, heh

2 hours ago, animats said:

I wish we had some way to save more data in ordinary objects.

(Experiences get a key-value store, but regular prims get nothing. They can't even write notecards. You can store data in lists, but that eats up script memory, so you can't store much data. Using an external server means the product requires that external server stay up forever.)

There was this feature which would have given us synchronous access to "prim memory", something unique to SL. It's why developers couldn't wrap the heads around it, heh.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

It's KVP, not KPV, heh

There was this feature which would have given us synchronous access to "prim memory", something unique to SL. It's why developers couldn't wrap the heads around it, heh.

Re-propose after "cloud uplift". The server processes are still in a 32 bit address space, right? The original SL hardware from 17 years ago had to be 32-bit. Almost everything in AWS is 64 bits now, with more address space. So using more space after "cloud uplift" becomes easier.

6 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

It's KVP, not KPV, heh

Never occurred to me before to do this. How interesting. Is the data stored using media secure and permanent until wiped? 

4 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Never occurred to me before to do this. How interesting. Is the data stored using media secure and permanent until wiped? 

It is not secure. Data is permanent unless there is a change in prim torture that causes a reduction in prim sides/faces. Example, data written to side 8 then the prim is changed to a sphere, there is no longer a side 8. Changing the prim torture to allow for a side 8 again will not recover data. Data survives prim duplication/shift-copy.

I wouldn't create products using it as it is not offically supported for data storage despite the benefits it has over all other means, particularly the synchronous data access.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:48 PM, animats said:

I believe I was told a long time ago something in the lines of "Only avatars are able to create new assets."

So long as the object is no modify and if you don't want anyone injecting anything into your script you take the appropriate precautions to prevent them from placing your script into their own object. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use prim media as a place to, at least temporarily, store data to free up script memory. Even if another person could see and retrieve the data so long as they can't use it in any meaningful way it seems like it would be a pretty good place to store data outside of the main script. Maybe...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.