The Best Virtual Pets?

Persephone Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd like to subtitle this thread "The Great Pet Debate", but that will only work if many others get into the topic too. 

By a "virtual pet", I don't mean a cut-out image or simple shoulder pet.  I want to know which primmy, scripted, interactive pets you think are the best in SL.

I currently have a Zooby white wolf, which I think looks & acts more like a wolf-dog than a wolf.  She doesn't have an AI program like some virtual pets do, but she moves on her own & responds to me in ways that make her seem like a real dog.

VKC dogs are popular, cute, trainable, but expensive.

Some similar dogs are equally cute & cheaper, but do they react as realistically?

Do these kinds of scripted & programmable pets cause too much lag?

If you have a virtual, scripted pet, why did you choose that one?  Are you happy with it?  What do you think are it's best & worst features?  Would you recommend that brand to someone else?  Why or why not?

I think Zooby pets are well-made & have good customer support. They're easy to maintain & make an environment seem more real  by having moving animals in it.  You can interact with them, use them as guard animals, and even become fond of them, but you'll always know they don't really think or feel anything.

Great topic Persephone! There is an incredibly wide selection of virtual pets in Second Life and they all come in very different styles, price range & levels of quality since they are developed by different groups/individuals.

I enjoy seeing the range of creations appearing in SL's animal kingdom. There is new ones all the time! Back in 2006 when I was "born" into Second Life, pet options were very limited!

Since then there has been an explosion in the diversity of virtual life in SL :matte-motes-grin:

For dogs, I'd say "Penny's Pets" (which has since been rebranded "Alpha Dogs") has the widest selection of dogs in SL, with over 100 breeds available :matte-motes-little-laugh:

I am a pets developer myself so I won't say a peep as to what's best, I'll leave that for others to decide :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

A.I.F Cats and Dogs are absolutely adorable and act as they should. With the cats running around and then randomly perching someplace and passing out, and the dogs constantly edging closer to you and wanting to be nearby, these guys are by far my favorite. They are full of personality and can follow some simple commands along with an easy to use hud, and they are by no means expensive at only L$900. You can even set a specific area for them to go and sleep if you like so they don't end up sleeping in the middle of the living room or something. They interact with each other as well. I have three of the cats at the moment, and they all play and do a bit of chasing each other from time to time and I catch myself watching them go at it. You can easily customize their names, which they respond to, their volume level, and their size so you can essentially "grow them up" if you so choose. They come with a little bath tub, a ball for play, a food bowl and some food. While they don't need to be fed, they do get dirty after a while and loose some of their 'brightness', which a simple bath fixes quickly enough.

I recommend them to those of you who want some personality in your pets and not just those robotic moving animals or the static ones. These guys move and play like the real thing. ^^

Since this is a related question I will ask it here. My questions are: are any pets feed optional, a phrase I made up right now to sort of describe them. Um, they can be feedable to give them traits and feedback, but you can choose to not feed them. Also, are any feedable but you don't have to keep buying the food and just use a never ending feed box/can/sack/container or a food bowl you just click and it fills?

For anyone saying, "What is the point of that" well..they are not breedable, so no earnign ='s no need for investment to game with. They are Role Play, the same as ones that are non breedable and do not eat to live. BUT, if you want to have it be hungry, it needs a caloric usage and "feelings" system. So, you can see that I am purely looking at this for a totally causal gaming slant of just keeping up with it and it can die. Of course, like most games, you can reset it without paying for another. So in otherwords, a truly RPGP, a Role Play Game Pet system.

I might ask this in a thread seperate, but since people are discussing this I thought I would ask since no one mentions this feature and I was thinking it might be pretty neat to see this in either pets or even role paly environmental animals...like killable hungry rats that sneak into your home ect. or live all over a distopian city and can bite you. I would just liek to see them and maybe buy one for a game, though I have tiny amounts of money to spare (like 100L-500L) so...yeah, thought someone might have seen these and it is related. Thanks for any responses, and please please don't hijack the thread and anser OP for me! I doubt it will though, because I haven't seen any of these when I looked a year or two ago.

Hello Poenald,

I can answer your question here :matte-motes-asleep-2:

LOLO Pets fit your "feed optional" description... at least all the newer cats & dogs do and some of my other new animals also have this feature (My older animals are non-feedable). These pets are feedable, but you can choose not to feed. The food is never ending & free as you can just click on the pet itself, or its food dish to initiate feeding.

I did design them with casual gaming in mind. The dogs, wolves & ducks just go hungry if not fed & they never die. It is just made for fun, not a for-profit feeding system. Anyone can feed these pets too which helps out the casual gamer who isn't in SL everyday, as friends can help care for the pet :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

If nobody feeds them, the newest LOLO Cats (Series 4) will eventually "run away" (my pets never die since this is too depressing :matte-motes-grin:)... but the cats are copyable, so it is just a quick reset if they do run away. You never have to pay for another!

Yes, a true RPGP, a Role Play Game Pet system... don't have killable hungry rats yet but otherwise is pretty much identical as you describe.

• 2 weeks later...

Partial to VKC Dogs (The newer Models, Look- & Primwise). We have a German Shepherd we are totally pleased with.

They are trainable with a kind of command language, use waypoints, use an AI program, and i didnt note any lag from them, Prims for the German Shepherd are 12, others have a bit more, They have extended support if you like to build new toys for them, and weekly training hours with staff, regarding the command language.

Zooby looks nice, but i found my Zooby - Cat laggy  Also very primmy with all premade furniture out, so i avoid them, sadly, they look very nice, and as OP said they feel dumb compared to a VKC Dog.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.