You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just discovered this recent video from the divine Joan Baez and can't stop listening. Again, as ever, I don't know if it's ASMR, but it gives me those chills and makes the hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stand up, especially when she sings "blowing in the wind" as a harmony and gets that step in her voice. 

Funnily enough, although I'm a long-term Dylan and Baez fan, this was never one of my favourites; I never disliked it, but I usually find it a bit dull. This rendition, though...It sounds to me as though Joan is singing it in a different key to how she originally did (her voice has changed over time, whose doesn't) and even though I've always loved the high, clear sweetness and constant vibrato of her younger days...I think I actually prefer this very slightly lower, more mellow sound, with less vibrato and that lovely step. I love a step in a voice, Michael Stipes has one too. Something about this version, with a slightly different arrangement, key and vocal style, is making me fall in love with this song in a way I never have before. I can't stop listening. I love the cause she's dedicated it to as well.

The ASMR videos that come closest to doing anything for me are microphone scratching and fire crackling, but as relaxing and evocative as those sounds are, I can't imagine them bringing on a reaction like the one I get from some types of music. Beethoven does it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Just discovered this recent video from the divine Joan Baez and can't stop listening. Again, as ever, I don't know if it's ASMR, but it gives me those chills and makes the hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stand up, especially when she sings "blowing in the wind" as a harmony and gets that step in her voice. 

Funnily enough, although I'm a long-term Dylan and Baez fan, this was never one of my favourites; I never disliked it, but I usually find it a bit dull. This rendition, though...It sounds to me as though Joan is singing it in a different key to how she originally did (her voice has changed over time, whose doesn't) and even though I've always loved the high, clear sweetness and constant vibrato of her younger days...I think I actually prefer this very slightly lower, more mellow sound, with less vibrato and that lovely step. I love a step in a voice, Michael Stipes has one too. Something about this version, with a slightly different arrangement, key and vocal style, is making me fall in love with this song in a way I never have before. I can't stop listening. I love the cause she's dedicated it to as well.

The ASMR videos that come closest to doing anything for me are microphone scratching and fire crackling, but as relaxing and evocative as those sounds are, I can't imagine them bringing on a reaction like the one I get from some types of music. Beethoven does it too.

I remember finding that version of the song years back and it being very powerful for me.. Some  things in life just bring on such clarity and peace and peace of mind..

Here are a couple of others that I really love that Playing for change did.. I really love seeing all the different instruments and just how they are all in different locations making it all happen..plus just so much talent around the world come together. They are really soothing to the point that it feels like a form of meditation..

Tamika McClellan, The girl in the brown dress towards the end of Imagine.. She has the most beautiful soothing calming voice.. Listening to her sing is for me a mood changing experience..

I could be in a bad mood and her voice can bring me down just like that..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Ooh. Just tried knife sharpening videos. They actually did send a shiver down my spine...but I didn't like it. It wasn't pleasant at all. The sound is quite sinister to me. Made me wince.

I'm now getting recommendations for ASMR videos of nails scratching down blackboards. I thought that was a famously horrible sound that makes people cringe? 

21 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Ooh. Just tried knife sharpening videos. They actually did send a shiver down my spine...but I didn't like it. It wasn't pleasant at all. The sound is quite sinister to me. Made me wince.

I'm now getting recommendations for ASMR videos of nails scratching down blackboards. I thought that was a famously horrible sound that makes people cringe? 

not all asmr reactions will be pleasant for everyone. asmr does not necessarily mean its enjoyable all the time. but strangely enough the sometimes unenjoyable is actually enjoyable to some. they like that cringe feeling.

like in the lion king when the hyena kept laughing and cringing every time someone said mufassa's name. she even taunted the other hyenas to say it again because if gave her chills.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.