What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I know what LI is but what the heck is CI? 

It is number that supposedly shows your Complexity, though it apparently isn't super accurate.  If the display of it is turned on, it is the number shown above your head and/or others heads to show how complex their avatar is.  It is the value that someone's jelly-doll setting uses to decide whether or not to show you as a jelly-doll to them.  And if I remember correctly, it has a few other terms also - not always called Complexity Index.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

I hate it when I'm scrolling, am at the end of a page, accidentally hit the "follow" button, and it always defaults to "let others see I follow this". I don't want to follow any threads and I don't even like the "last visited" and "now looking at" functions, so I sure as heck wouldn't want anyone to see I follow threads even if I did follow them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I hate it when I'm scrolling, am at the end of a page, accidentally hit the "follow" button, and it always defaults to "let others see I follow this". I don't want to follow any threads and I don't even like the "last visited" and "now looking at" functions, so I sure as heck wouldn't want anyone to see I follow threads even if I did follow them.

I'm building quite a profile on you, actually . . .

The stuff you learn. Really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That TV program ended its short run while I was still in high school (and you were probably ready for first grade, if I guess right, Maddy), and the 50's beat culture was on the way out.

Ummm, I hate to break the news to you... 77 Sunset Strip went off the air in 1964, six years before I was born.

I caught it on the nostalgia TV channel that was always playing in the engineering school student lounge. I loved Kookie and his lingo. Maynard was another favorite. I will always think of Bob Denver as Maynard, not Gilligan.

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm building quite a profile on you, actually . . .

The stuff you learn. Really.

I don't know what I've been googling to bring this up, but Facebook keeps trying to sell me trousers designed to make my arse look BIGGER. I've so got the market cornered on that one. 

• Haha 5

Oh, you ARE a kid.  This really stretches our story that we were separated at birth.

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I will always think of Bob Denver as Maynard, not Gilligan.

I agree.  I could never get into Gilligan's Island somehow. Dobie Gillis, though, was intriguing.  For one thing, the Zelda Gilroy character was an almost believable girl nerd, a new role for sitcoms at the time.  She was SMART.  The show also piloted the idea of breaking the fourth wall by having Dobie step out of the narrative every once in a while to explain what was going on in his head.  I had a guy in my  high school English class in my senior year who could have been a spiritual double for Maynard G. Krebs, sweatshirt and all (not easy when button-down shirts were the norm).  All of this was pre-VietNam era TV, and it all vanished by 1965.

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, you ARE a kid.  This really stretches our story that we were separated at birth.

The story works fine. My parents met in 1947, married in 1951, and immediately went to work creating a family. They finally produced me in 1970. Knowing those two, it's hard to imagine they didn't at least practice creating a family right from the start. Having kids out of wedlock was frowned upon when they met, so I can explain you as my long lost illegitimate sis.

I'm so glad to have you back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I agree.  I could never get into Gilligan's Island somehow. Dobie Gillis, though, was intriguing.  For one thing, the Zelda Gilroy character was an almost believable girl nerd, a new role for sitcoms at the time.  She was SMART.  The show also piloted the idea of breaking the fourth wall by having Dobie step out of the narrative every once in a while to explain what was going on in his head.  I had a guy in my  high school English class in my senior year who could have been a spiritual double for Maynard G. Krebs, sweatshirt and all (not easy when button-down shirts were the norm).  All of this was pre-VietNam era TV, and it all vanished by 1965.

Agreed on all counts. I recall Maynard being wary of Zelda, but off screen Bobbie and Sheila were buddies...

As one of only six females in my class of 150 or so engineering students, I was always drawn to depictions of smart, strong females in pop culture. I wasn't fond of Zelda's desire for Dobie. I'd have preferred she lust after Thalia ;-).

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is number that supposedly shows your Complexity, though it apparently isn't super accurate.  If the display of it is turned on, it is the number shown above your head and/or others heads to show how complex their avatar is.  It is the value that someone's jelly-doll setting uses to decide whether or not to show you as a jelly-doll to them.  And if I remember correctly, it has a few other terms also - not always called Complexity Index.

ok So it's a reference to avatar complexity, which is what I was thinking, and not just the CI of the hair or what have you. That's probably why I was a bit confused. I thought only the hair was being "measured", for lack of a better term at the moment.

43 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I may be misunderstanding that last sentence but, the war officially began on November 1, 1955 and ended April 30, 1975 (19 years, 5 months, 4 weeks and 1 day). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I may be misunderstanding that last sentence but, the war officially began on November 1, 1955 and ended April 30, 1975 (19 years, 5 months, 4 weeks and 1 day). 

Yes, I know.  I also know that as far as the U.S. was concerned, it was a "police action" until things really blew up in the early 1960s.  Even in 1964, when I was in college, I only knew one guy who had been in Viet Nam.  He would tell us stories about being there as a military "advisor" in Saigon, and we had almost no idea what he was talking about. It just wasn't on our radar. A year later, everyone knew.  A lot of the guys I knew in high school never came back from Viet Nam, or came back very changed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, I know.  I also know that as far as the U.S. was concerned, it was a "police action" until things really blew up in the early 1960s.  Even in 1964, when I was in college, I only knew one guy who had been in Viet Nam.  He would tell us stories about being there as a military "advisor" in Saigon, and we had almost no idea what he was talking about. It just wasn't on our radar. A year later, everyone knew.  A lot of the guys I knew in high school never came back from Viet Nam, or came back very changed.

That's an absolutely fascinating insight, Rolig. Thank you.

The conventional wisdom I think has always been that it was the regular appearance of the war in people's living rooms, on the news, that really began to turn public opinion. I wonder when that really started?

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
26 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's an absolutely fascinating insight, Rolig. Thank you.

The conventional wisdom I think has always been that it was the regular appearance of the war in people's living rooms, on the news, that really began to turn public opinion. I wonder when that really started?

See what happened in 1965, when Johnson sent in ground troops?

US_Vietnam_War_deaths.png

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

ok So it's a reference to avatar complexity, which is what I was thinking, and not just the CI of the hair or what have you. That's probably why I was a bit confused. I thought only the hair was being "measured", for lack of a better term at the moment.

Every item that you add to your avatar increases your complexity by some amount.  So each item can be measured - by watching the total complexity number displayed above your head (if you have that display turned on) as you add or remove items.  Some hair creators will refer to the CI of the hair, referring to the amount that the hair adds to your overall complexity.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Five of my family never came home.

• Sad 4

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Every item that you add to your avatar increases your complexity by some amount.  So each item can be measured - by watching the total complexity number displayed above your head (if you have that display turned on) as you add or remove items.  Some hair creators will refer to the CI of the hair, referring to the amount that the hair adds to your overall complexity.  

lol I know what avatar complexity is and how it's supposed to work. It's always been avatar complexity to me since before it was released. I keep that feature turned on  so I know what my complexity is, which is usually well under 50k.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

People that 'lol' at just about everything

Ah, the sarcastic :) or lol. The disgust :) . There's a few other terms for it. Yeah, it is supposed to show us how meaningless our comments are, and how superior the one is posting the scorn laugh.  Generally those comments just reflect on the person doing it, usually it means they don't have the mental where-with-all to come up with some sort of logical rebuttal. It is the emoji equivalent of "Your mama... "

I can count on one hand when those responses have bugged me, and that's because they were given by people I once considered friends.

If it is a reaction to a comment here in the forums, I secretly laugh because for each :D given to me, *I* get a reputation point. :) Not that that matters, but still, it matters as much as getting the :D  . When I'm too lazy to show disdain I use the :( ... the person doesn't get the points. :)  Of course, this makes it harder to discern if I'm replying with a sincere :( or a sarcastic :( but hopefully context gets that across. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.