What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I'm beginning to think you don't have an actual position, then. The voices in a village are a lot less psychotic than the voices in an economy. A society must be nurturing not exploitative and predatory.

but you see there is no such village.. for there is always someone even in the village looking to prey upon someone weaker. even if the village and its elders think they have ousted everyone like that, they fail often.

for example gangs.. no matter how much they are fought they cannot be defeated. groupies and fandoms other eccentricities. you cannot control or stop or rid the village of all of them ever.

instead of trying to remove them teach others not to fear them or be influenced by them or controlled or mislead or deceived by them. but even that fails over time and always will.

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

but you see there is no such village.. for there is always someone even in the village looking to prey upon someone weaker. even if the village and its elders think they have ousted everyone like that, they fail often.

for example gangs.. no matter how much they are fought they cannot be defeated. groupies and fandoms other eccentricities. you cannot control or stop or rid the village of all of them ever.

instead of trying to remove them teach others not to fear them or be influenced by them or controlled or mislead or deceived by them. but even that fails over time and always will.

Therefore, f it let's just give up? I disagree with that conclusion. The solution is not to suggest people buy carbon filters to keep the lead out of their drinking and cooking water. The solution is to remove the neurotoxin from their lives altogether.

3 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Therefore, f it let's just give up? I disagree with that conclusion. The solution is not to suggest people buy carbon filters to keep the lead out of their drinking and cooking water. The solution is to remove the neurotoxin from their lives altogether.

it wont work you cant. there will always be other sources of it that are not readily seen or understood until its already affected them. you cannot protect them all the time. it doesn't work and cant work and never will ever.

you cant protect them from themselves either.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

it wont work you cant. there will always be other sources of it that are not readily seen or understood until its already affected them. you cannot protect them all the time. it doesn't work and cant work and never will ever.

you cant protect them from themselves either.

I just realized, you think that every time I use a figure of speech it's 'hypnosis' and 'brainwashing'? Could that be it? If so, how austere!

Protection is a matter of best practices, a sort of hygiene and sanitation for civilization so as not to die in its own filth, if you will. That's a pretty important function.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I just realized, you think that every time I use a figure of speech it's 'hypnosis' and 'brainwashing'? Could that be it? If so, how austere!

Protection is a matter of best practices, a sort of hygiene and sanitation for civilization so as not to die in its own filth, if you will. That's a pretty important function.

not not every time. just when you speak of control methods for most control methods are just that disguised by other names.

and over protection can kill and destroy and cause stagnation of life and creativity and desire to learn or try new things and explore.

wash away all the germs all the time and you actually make the body weaker over time. you weaken its immune system.

the old saying 'cleanliness is next to godliness' was said for a reason. its true.. if you try and keep yourself too clean you will meet god a lot sooner then otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

not not every time. just when you speak of control methods for most control methods are just that disguised by other names.

and over protection can kill and destroy and cause stagnation of life and creativity and desire to learn or try new things and explore.

wash away all the germs all the time and you actually make the body weaker over time. you weaken its immune system.

the old saying 'cleanliness is next to godliness' was said for a reason. its true.. if you try and keep yourself too clean you will meet god a lot sooner then otherwise.

I don't think I used the words 'control' at any point, but there must be a philosophy that protects individual and collective rights exhaustively, and they must not be infringed. If they should be and nothing can be done, then there's neither control nor rights, which seems like the worst-possible-case scenario. I am not advocating stagnation, or over-protection. But many things, often the best most esoteric things, the things that make life meaningful and worthwhile, these things, or lives, are extraordinarily fragile, and like negentropic development, they require an environment supportive of life in order to flourish. You've gotta get your hands dirty to work the soil.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

2 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I don't think I used the words 'control' at any point, but there must be a philosophy that protects individual and collective rights exhaustively, and they must not be infringed. If they should be and nothing can be done, then there's neither control nor rights, which seems like the worst-possible-case scenario. I am not advocating stagnation, or over-protection. But many things, often the best most esoteric things, the things that make life meaningful and worthwhile, these things, or lives, are extraordinarily fragile, and like negentropic development, they require an environment supportive of life in order to flourish. You've gotta get your hands dirty to work the soil.

sometimes those things do not need protection sometimes they do. sometimes they only need little pushes now and then. rights is a farce they come and go and are changed by the whim of those in control. there are no universal or god give rights that is a myth a lie. 

those things are not as fragile as some like to think they are often very durable and strong and can function fine without outside interference of any kind.

over work the soil and your ruin the chances of what you were trying to grow from ever blooming.

those things are not as fragile as some like to think they are often very durable and strong and can function fine without outside interference of any kind.

over work the soil and your ruin the chances of what you were trying to grow from ever blooming.

Is that your assessment of the state of the world today? You cannot overwork the soil, the soil is life itself, but you can certainly poison it.

1 minute ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Is that your assessment of the state of the world today? You cannot overwork the soil, the soil is life itself, but you can certainly poison it.

you can easily poison it by trying to overwork it. this is a fact of reality. many farmers learn this way too late when first trying to learn to farm. then spend a long time and lots of effort and energy and time trying to repair the damage done. or having to have others come do it for them because they are unable too or unwilling too.

and sometimes you need the arsonist to come and just burn it all away so a new beginning can be had. tear it all down so new growth can happen.

Hey I have a new one! Beat this one! It is an off-shoot of "people" as my pet peeve.

Get emotionally invested in (yet another) SL relationship. Spend a ton of time together, every day, for a month. Then, after a lovely day, out of the blue, be told it is all over unless you convert to being a Muslim. (It really doesn't matter the religion. I think this would be equally annoying if it was Shinto or something. This one just happened to be Muslim.) Yee ha!

Yup. Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

You'd think after 11 years in SL... lessons would have been learned. Nope. I'm slow.

Does this count as a peeve?

Also, this is appropriate:

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

you can easily poison it by trying to overwork it. this is a fact of reality. many farmers learn this way too late when first trying to learn to farm. then spend a long time and lots of effort and energy and time trying to repair the damage done. or having to have others come do it for them because they are unable too or unwilling too.

and sometimes you need the arsonist to come and just burn it all away so a new beginning can be had. tear it all down so new growth can happen.

You can't overwork the soil. You can abuse it, however, but the two are different things. You cannot burn away cultural problems because things in the spiritual or conceptual realm aren't actually flammable, you see. You can only make better culture.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

You can't overwork the soil. You can abuse it, however, but the two are different things. You cannot burn away cultural problems because things in the spiritual or conceptual realm aren't actually flammable, you see. You can only make better culture.

you can burn it all away.. you can destroy it completely. you can remove it from existence. mass extinction and mass eradication of all records of the past. genocide of an entire race and erasure of all sources of materials that point to that race as ever having existed and annihilation of anyone or anything that ever references it again.

abusing it is overworking it. they are the same thing just by different names.

13 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Hey I have a new one! Beat this one! It is an off-shoot of "people" as my pet peeve.

Get emotionally invested in (yet another) SL relationship. Spend a ton of time together, every day, for a month. Then, after a lovely day, out of the blue, be told it is all over unless you convert to being a Muslim. (It really doesn't matter the religion. I think this would be equally annoying if it was Shinto or something. This one just happened to be Muslim.) Yee ha!

Yup. Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

You'd think after 11 years in SL... lessons would have been learned. Nope. I'm slow.

Does this count as a peeve?

Also, this is appropriate:

hence why you should never get too invested in anyone in sl ever. given the right time, the right reason they will stab you in the back when least expected.

you can burn it all away.. you can destroy it completely. you can remove it from existence. mass extinction and mass eradication of all records of the past. genocide of an entire race and erasure of all sources of materials that point to that race as ever having existed and annihilation of anyone or anything that ever references it again.

abusing it is overworking it. they are the same thing just by different names.

That's not the kind of relationship you want to have with mother nature.

7 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

That's not the kind of relationship you want to have with mother nature.

mother nature does not care, she does it herself at times.  she will remove races or animals that no longer have a place on the world.  she knows that sometimes you have to get rid of the old entirely to make room for the new. that you cant just keep building on top of the old or the foundation will crumble over time.

57 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

mother nature does not care, she does it herself at times.  she will remove races or animals that no longer have a place on the world.  she knows that sometimes you have to get rid of the old entirely to make room for the new. that you cant just keep building on top of the old or the foundation will crumble over time.

I'm not sure you understand how biology and ecosystems work, friend. There's a direct connection of lineage tracing backwards from you to the first cellular life on Earth and then branching out and connecting to all other life here. I'm not sure you understand how civilizations work, either. But thanks for the conversation, and just keeping it topical, my pet peeve is razed civilization.

11 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I'm not sure you understand how biology and ecosystems work, friend. There's a direct connection of lineage tracing backwards from you to the first cellular life on Earth and then branching out and connecting to all other life here. I'm not sure you understand how civilizations work, either. But thanks for the conversation, and just keeping it topical, my pet peeve is razed civilization.

that is irrelevant. dna does not matter. and civilizations rise and fall and even become myths and legends over time and forgotten. that is how time and life works. nothing lasts for ever, everything eventually comes to an end.. everything.

• Haha 2

Pet peeve: humans ruining yet another perfectly good pet peeve thread 

They just never learn and always forget history.

Cooperation? in this day and age? ha! I give you the current crop of antimaskers. Refusing to wear a mask not just for their own safety but for the safety of others. Obviously they don't care if they contract Covid-19 (and die from it) or cause the death of those around them. On the other hand, it reduces the population of a viral species on an over burdened planet and helps to weed out the lesser intelligent of the human lifeform.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.