What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Ah, the sarcastic :) or lol. The disgust :) . There's a few other terms for it. Yeah, it is supposed to show us how meaningless our comments are, and how superior the one is posting the scorn laugh.  Generally those comments just reflect on the person doing it, usually it means they don't have the mental where-with-all to come up with some sort of logical rebuttal. It is the emoji equivalent of "Your mama... "

In this case, I was referring to a person that just adds 'lol' to the beginning and/or end of posts (and in the middle) a lot.  More like a flirty childish giggle tossed in constantly - my guess, because they think it is cute.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In this case, I was referring to a person that just adds 'lol' to the beginning and/or end of posts (and in the middle) a lot.  More like a flirty childish giggle tossed in constantly - my guess, because they think it is cute.

That too. :) I know someone who adds "tee hee" to everything. Whhhhhhhy?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

They fall into that group that adds a ❤️ at the end of everything.

• Like 2

Gestures like these:

╰⁀❘‿ ♩♪♫♬ AAAOOOUUUW !!! ♩♪♫♬ ⁀❘‿╮

N̲̅I̲̅C̲̅E̲̅ ̲̅T̲̅U̲̅N̲̅E̲̅S̲̅ ̲̅D̲̅J̲̅ ̲̅

▀▄▀▄▀ ♫ ▶♬  |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|♫ ▶♬ ▄▀▄▀▄

: ,_,.-:¦:-✺✺-:¦:-.,_,.-:¦:-✺ ☺•° ╄╄еLL○ •º✫°• ╄╄еLL○  ✺-:¦:-.,_,.-:¦:-✺✺-:¦:-.,_,

✦ ✦ ⊌⋩⋩⋩    ¡  ₩☻☻☻₩  !    ⋨⋨⋨⊌✦ ✦

WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO SAY?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

Ah, the sarcastic :) or lol. The disgust :) . There's a few other terms for it. Yeah, it is supposed to show us how meaningless our comments are, and how superior the one is posting the scorn laugh.  Generally those comments just reflect on the person doing it, usually it means they don't have the mental where-with-all to come up with some sort of logical rebuttal. It is the emoji equivalent of "Your mama... "

Ugh the sarcastic laugh. When did it become a thing!? It completely ruins it for the genuine laughs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Ugh the sarcastic laugh. When did it become a thing!? It completely ruins it for the genuine laughs.

Also known as the "scorn laugh". I think it can have a place, but yes, it does get massively overused. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

It has always been a thing. See below.

19 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Also known as the "scorn laugh". I think it can have a place, but yes, it does get massively overused. 

Overuse depends on who you ask and who is using it .... and the reason for using it.

Personally I wish we had the ability to leave more than one reaction - on SLU (before it became VVO) you could do so and it allowed for far less ambiguity. Found a post you liked/agreed with and found some bit of it amusing? You could actually show it. Same with finding a post so mind numbing in its lack of intelligent thought (at least, to you) that it was also 'funny'.

Here? Not so much nuance on top of some of the reactions feeding into that absolutely pointless "reputation point" system.

Edited by Solar Legion
Minor spelling correction
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

It has always been a thing. See below.

Overuse depends on who you ask and who is using it .... and the reason for using it.

Personally I wish we had the ability to leave more than one reaction - on SLU (before it became VVO) you could do so and it allowed for far less ambiguity. Found a post you liked/agreed with and found some bit of it amusing? You could actually show it. Same with finding a post so mind numbing in its lack of intelligent thought (at least, to you) that it was also 'funny'.

Here? Not so much nuance on top of some of the reactions feeding into that absolutely pointless "reputation point" system.

Yeah I'm with you on that - wish there were more reactions to reduce ambiguity. Whenever I leave a laughy, it's always a genuine haha but I sometimes wonder if it would be taken the wrong way.

Did not realize it was always a thing here on the forum until a few months back in one of the flame wars here. Fun times.

• Like 1

I'm relatively new here (under two years). It's always been around as long as I've known but it's generally employed by the same few people. When you regularly get a laugh response to something that clearly isn't humorous and you always know without looking who it is, that's a fair indication that they're overusing it.

I do think it can have a place when used judiciously, but as a go-to response whenever you don't like something, it's a bit lazy and wears thin. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Yeah I'm with you on that - wish there were more reactions to reduce ambiguity. Whenever I leave a laughy, it's always a genuine haha but I sometimes wonder if it would be taken the wrong way.

Did not realize it was always a thing here on the forum until a few months back in one of the flame wars here. Fun times.

I'll admit that for me it is context sensitive: There are some posts I use it on where - intended or not - the poster made a funny. There are also some posts I use it on where - usually after quite a bit of interaction in the past - I simply do not have the patience (or "spoons") to deal with them in a manner others may consider "proper" and so, I laugh instead.

Eventually one of two things happens: A reconciliation or I simply toss them into "the bin" so I don't have to bother with them at all. Sure, someone may quote a "binned" individual but honestly in those instances I just kinda collapse the quote box to read the response by itself. I can generally fill in what it is they're responding to from that and decide whether or not to add in my own response.

Edited by Solar Legion
Capitalization
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

I'll admit that for me it is context sensitive: There are some posts I use it on where - intended or not - the poster made a funny. There are also some posts I use it on where - usually after quite a bit of interaction in the past - I simply do not have the patience (or "spoons") to deal with them in a manner others may consider "proper" and so, I laugh instead.

Oh yep, those posts to which I've decided somewhat recently don't deserve any reaction whatsoever. Sometimes I think they're posted just to get a reaction so I figure I'm not going to give them the satisfaction.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm relatively new here (under two years). It's always been around as long as I've known but it's generally employed by the same few people. When you regularly get a laugh response to something that clearly isn't humorous and you always know without looking who it is, that's a fair indication that they're overusing it.

I do think it can have a place when used judiciously, but as a go-to response whenever you don't like something, it's a bit lazy and wears thin. 

Humor is subjective. I see humor in a lot of things others don't. A lot of humor other people see in things are not humorous to me. 

Example: I was looking through some images just yesterday of tombstones that were supposed to be funny. Only one of them made me smile, none of them made me laugh. Yet, I'm sure other people found them hilarious. And no, it didn't have anything to do with the fact that they are tombstones. You should see what is on my parent's tombstone. It's funny and fitting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Humor is subjective. I see humor in a lot of things others don't. A lot of humor other people see in things are not humorous to me. 

Example: I was looking through some images just yesterday of tombstones that were supposed to be funny. Only one of them made me smile, none of them made me laugh. Yet, I'm sure other people found them hilarious. And no, it didn't have anything to do with the fact that they are tombstones. You should see what is on my parent's tombstone. It's funny and fitting.

Well yes. I should have been clearer that I'm talking about the times when it's obvious from the context that it's just lazy shorthand for "I fart in your general direction". They should really start responding by saying that, I'll always appreciate it.

Think it was Spike Milligan who wanted "I told you I was ill" on his gravestone. I'll take anything apart from "She Meant Well".

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.