Secondlife Facebook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have a question to anyone whom has a facebook for Secondlife. After years of use my Secondlife facebook has been deactivated due to not being a 'real person' since it was an account for an avatar. However, I know there are thousands of stores, people and events using facebook every day. I have attempted to appeal it, attempted to make  a new one with new email on friends computers, from different locations.. everything you can think of. Even Secondlife itself has a facebook page ~ https://www.facebook.com/secondlife yet secondlife users aren't allowed to have a profile for their avatar? Here are my questions..

If you have a facebook account for SL have you had any trouble?

How can I go about having one as I really do need it for my store and to stay in the loop?

• Like 1

Making a Facebook account for a fictional character/your gaming persona is against their rules. Most people don't care or aren't aware, and plenty of people do it anyways. Facebook's moderators remove such accounts when notified about it, or occasionally through different methods of 'purging' the userbase (a bit like they just purged 'skinheads' off the site, rather hilariously swiping out a whole lot of SHARPs and stuff when trying to target 'Nazis'). 

If they've caught you and deleted you, it's up to them to decide whether to make an exception or not - but they're infamous for being rather stringent on their rules regarding this. Facebook really isn't meant for Second Life avatars, and I've made no account for my SL avi - in the few instances I want to check up on a creator who communicates through it, I'll just look through my regular account. Personally I don't see the point of 'keeping SL and RL separate'; if I make friends in SL that I want to have FB contact with, I have no problems exchanging my personal details with them, just as through any other online games/communities - but then I'm also of the generation who looks at FB as something used by your mum to share cat pictures and where your aunt checks in to yoga class five times a week. Shrugs.

TL:DR: Facebook and Second Life avatars don't play nice together. Find another platform if you don't want to expose your RL profile.

I got booted from FB 2½ years ago for posting a picture of a butt (from the side, so I thought it was at least tasteful).

Anyway, I have found a new place, without ads or privacy issues at https://www.MeWe.com

Heck, they don't even censor, so you can post whatever you like. It's kinda like a cross between FB and the old Tumblr. 

14 hours ago, Ansiri said:

I think you're allowed to make/have a facebook account for a business, facebook has some guides for that also.
Isn't a second life store also a business?

13 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

In the US all you really need to be a "legal" business acceptable by FB is to have a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) at no cost.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/employer-id-numbers

You can set up a business page without any kind of verification process. https://www.facebook.com/business/pages/set-up

But a "business page" isn't a profile. That page is connected to someone's account.

It is probably best not to use facebook for your second life avatar.  I tried it about a year ago, and it was removed as well.  Even if you do manage to keep it for a while, it might eventually be banned.  MeWe sounds interesting, blogs are always fantastic, and so are web pages, facebook not so much.  We also have https://my.secondlife.com/ to post what we are doing, along with pictures, and we can save pictures directly to flikr from our viewer.

8 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You can set up a business page without any kind of verification process. https://www.facebook.com/business/pages/set-up

But a "business page" isn't a profile. That page is connected to someone's account.

Funny, I never used the word profile or the term business page. I provided useful, correct information and you tell me I'm wrong, when I know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that I am correct. Providing a Federal EIN is required when doing business and while everyone does have a SSN and can use it for filing, wise small business owners know there are myriad other reasons for the EIN, like being able to order wholesale. If you don't have an EIN, forget wholesale. They won't sell to you without an EIN. You learn things when you've owned one or more small businesses in real life.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:14 AM, YumeBaby said:

So I have a question to anyone whom has a facebook for Secondlife. After years of use my Secondlife facebook has been deactivated due to not being a 'real person' since it was an account for an avatar. However, I know there are thousands of stores, people and events using facebook every day. I have attempted to appeal it, attempted to make  a new one with new email on friends computers, from different locations.. everything you can think of. Even Secondlife itself has a facebook page ~ https://www.facebook.com/secondlife yet secondlife users aren't allowed to have a profile for their avatar? Here are my questions..

If you have a facebook account for SL have you had any trouble?

How can I go about having one as I really do need it for my store and to stay in the loop?

all you have to do it link it to your real FB account.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Funny, I never used the word profile or the term business page. I provided useful, correct information and you tell me I'm wrong, when I know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that I am correct. Providing a Federal EIN is required when doing business and while everyone does have a SSN and can use it for filing, wise small business owners know there are myriad other reasons for the EIN, like being able to order wholesale. If you don't have an EIN, forget wholesale. They won't sell to you without an EIN. You learn things when you've owned one or more small businesses in real life.

I didn't dispute anything you said, don't be so combative.

6 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I think its a epidemic in the forum today.

I always put down petty hostilities to constipation. I had a boss a few years ago that was always a defensive and argumentative old bat when she hadn't had a number two for a while!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

what you need to do is create a profile with a real sounding name, then create a fb page for your store, they are basically two different things. as long as the profile name sounds realistic it normally wont get hit by the purge.

i have a fb, but I dont use my real name on it at all, nor have I filled out any of the bio on it. its blank except for those that I follow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.